• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a very broad request, without budget or location. J. Crew might work. Any collection of casual shirts should include patterns and solids and probably some linen.

Esoterik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
That's a very broad request, without budget or location. J. Crew might work. Any collection of casual shirts should include patterns and solids and probably some linen.

Location is middle of nowhere northern canada
biggrin.gif

Budget is low as I am a college student paying tuition out of pocket. My big issue is I honestly don't know what colors to look for and what type of pants go with what shirts and what shirts I can wear scarfs with and what coats go with what shirts etc.

I figure I am going to start off simple and just start picking up some button up shirts and going from there as I am painstakingly new to actual fashion.

slappysloopy

Reaction score
@Esoterik
Starting simple is the way to go. Find yourself a good fitting oxford and buy one in white and blue. You can wear these everyday if you want and rotate out a few jackets, cardigans, sweaters, etc. and nobody will notice. Don't get too crazy with shirt patterns, maybe a check or a stripe here and there but if you stick to solids it will be much easier to match things with for now.

djc109

Reaction score
i am a noob, looking for combat style boots. looked at the fryes , kcole , f+b, just wondering what you guys would look the best good quality but not in the $500 price range just a little to pricey. like the fryes looked at the black rogan and the black rand lace up thanks for any help.

89shaggy

Reaction score
Just bought my first Fedora. It's solid grey with a 1" black band with a small white pattern all around the band. Is there a way to make this hat work with jeans and a button front shirt, or should this strictly be worn as a dress hat?

Esoterik

Reaction score
What type of coat should I be looking for? General look is going to be Casual button up shirt or t shirt and jeans/khakis, prefer a look I can use a scarf with properly.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
^ Definitely not. Black and gray? I can't think of two colors that go less well together.

I guess you've never seen black and navy together, along with dozens of other combinations. Black and grey look fine together.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nas

Reaction score
Umm, I said I don't want a slim chuck taylor looking shoe, but thanks for trying to help anyway. I might go with PF Flyers Albins.

nomad

Reaction score
They're okay. The gap might have some better options, check the sales rack because fall/winter will be discounted.

reprehensible

Reaction score
Some picture with my face in them are below.

I'm wearing glasses I don't like very much. I'm going to get new ones soon. I invite you to give some recommendations for appropriate frames.

me_old_navy-1.jpg

IMG_1407-2.jpg

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djc109
i am a noob, looking for combat style boots. looked at the fryes , kcole , f+b, just wondering what you guys would look the best good quality but not in the $500 price range just a little to pricey. like the fryes looked at the black rogan and the black rand lace up thanks for any help.
NDC is probably one of the highest quality boot in the $400ish range. Followed by F+B and then others. Frye's are extremely hit or miss, you can get one pair that will be perfectly fine and have decent construction and you can have a pair that will literally fall apart after a few wears. Butteros are really high-quality boots that fit the aesthetic but they're over $600 at retail and since Barney's is the only US stockist I know of, they rarely go on deep sale.
Originally Posted by 89shaggy
Just bought my first Fedora. It's solid grey with a 1" black band with a small white pattern all around the band. Is there a way to make this hat work with jeans and a button front shirt, or should this strictly be worn as a dress hat?
Please only wear this when it's raining

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads