• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

loopy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
You don't have that many options for a new slim fit navy blazer that retails for under a $100. I would check thrift shops for a quality blazer that can be tailored or look at the sale racks at H&M, Zara, Club Monaco, Topman, Express, and other fast fashion stores.

I figured I might be looking for some kind of holy grail at that price point, haha. Thanks for the suggestions.

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
I'll be going to a dinner party some sort this saturday and it's formal (though not a black tie event). I have the following options.

Light blue OCBD, Light Purple OCBD, Light Blue Fine cloth buttondown

Only one tie - Navy/green knit
confused.gif

Black wingtips with mauve laces.

Suit color - To be determined.

With the options I have, what color suit should I get? There's the option of black, charcoal or dark navy. I'm only 18 so I'll be getting something cheap, but functional so I could wear it for interviews too (which is why I'm not too liking the black). I was thinking a dark navy suit, with either the purple or the blue button down, the knit tie (to make the fit less formal) and maybe even a green PS. How's that sound?

Trinitrogen Oxide

Reaction score
I'm looking to up my shoe game. I wear too many sneakers, so I'm looking to upgrade to some quality leather shoes. But my question is, what makes leather certain AE's, Aldens, and other brands casual? I've noticed a lot of wing tips and cap toes in the streetwear thread...

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
I think the forum, SW+D is a misnomer because there are so many different types of fits and styles that go on in their forum. There are people like PG who is more business-like, people like Zissou who is more workwear, some gothninjas, and everything in between. The leather shoes and the brands you listed could be worn casually, not only because of the design+color of the shoe, but you have to take into consideration the whole outfit. Superbobo (regular of SW+D's WAYWT) wears wingtips and leather shoes with his fits all the time and it's very casual. Take a look at the WAYWT to get an idea of what I mean.

F A Y B A N

Reaction score
Okay, got a question.

For the past year or two, all I've been wearing are white tops (ocbds, v neck and crew neck ts) with navy bottoms (one pair of Eternal denim, assortment of dress pants, and a bunch of chinos).

I'm content wearing this forever, but I need help for the in between footwear when your not wearing sneakers or straight up dress shoes/ loafers.

What are good recommendations for an untucked/tucked ocbd with chinos?

Thanks

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F A Y B A N
Okay, got a question.

For the past year or two, all I've been wearing are white tops (ocbds, v neck and crew neck ts) with navy bottoms (one pair of Eternal denim, assortment of dress pants, and a bunch of chinos).

I'm content wearing this forever, but I need help for the in between footwear when your not wearing sneakers or straight up dress shoes/ loafers.

Thanks

J.Crew

enigma7

Reaction score
question regarding color matching...

I am thinking about getting a peacoat, navy colored of course but since the navy color on peacoats appears near black, will wearing brown boots/shoes look ok? i currently have a pair of beeswax dbs.

thanks

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma7
question regarding color matching...

I am thinking about getting a peacoat, navy colored of course but since the navy color on peacoats appears near black, will wearing brown boots/shoes look ok? i currently have a pair of beeswax dbs.

thanks

Black or brown shoes would be fine.

jcab.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by F A Y B A N
Okay, got a question.

Thanks

I think the Gitman Vintage ocbd's work well too.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Poorly phrased, but dude was asking about shoes, not shirts.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aviddresser
I am a 26 year old 6'7 Caucasian male with short brown hair, blue eyes, a 40 inch waist and a 34 pants length. My shoe size ranges between 15 and 16 men's US size. I'm moving to New York within the next three weeks. I currently live in a big city in the south, but obviously I want to update my wardrobe DRAMATICALLY. My new job is in Manhattan.

I will be working at a place where we are allowed to be completely casual. Jeans and t-shirt are completely acceptable and is what many of the employees wear. Of course, I could add a little more style, but I want to be completely comfortable.

I need to find the following:
- Stylish jeans in my size (40x34)
- (T-shirts are taken care of by the company, no suggestions needed)
- Other tops that might go well with the work environment I described
- Good casual shoes size 15 or 16, specific shoe suggestions if possible...or brands, but staying stylish and trendy, stylish sneakers is the way I'm thinking judging from what I saw others wearing during my interview, I like the Vans Classic Slip-Ons, the Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Ox's and the Vans Authentic Core Classics...but I'm open to your suggestions! I'm into Vans. I really like these: http://www.zappos.com/vans-old-skool...assics-black-1
- Some sort of a long overcoat to keep me warm and dry...I went to a local Joseph A. Bank and found a wool overcoat, but what would that look like going over a t-shirt and jeans? I only currently have a nice blue 2-piece North Face jacket
- Sock suggestions that go with whatever shoe suggestions you give...yeah...I'm not a very smart guy when it comes to clothing

Dumb question: How many pairs of jeans and shoes should I buy, pretending I have none right now? My job is M-F, 5 days a week.

Money isn't as much of a problem since I haven't updated my wardrobe in a while. I'll spend what needs to be spent, but please give a few suggestions ranging in price.

I need help building a whole new wardrobe! I am COMPLETELY OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS. I await your expertise!

Er, that's a tall order.

First of all, are you sure your inseam is only 34"? Many tall guys habitually wear their pants too short.

That leads to the second point - pants, not jeans. Maybe a pair or two of jeans. Frankly, jeans are unlikely to look particularly good on 40x34+ legs. Well-fitting chinos would be better (might need them tailored). 5+ pairs of chinos and jeans. Three pairs of shoes, not as casual as what you posted. For example, http://www.zappos.com/rockport-world...bled-leather-1 (or, riskier, navy nubuck).

Button-front shirts and sweaters would be better than t-shirts. Two-part philosophy: dress moderately better than the office standard (though not too fancy for your rank), and especially because of the fit problem, buy things that will look good on you as you get older and probably have to dress more formally. (Yes, there's a contradiction. New circumstances might require changes.)

Yes, the Jos A. Bank overcoat likely would be too formal and perhaps too boxy. An item like that is very much a long-term purchase. Ralph Lauren probably has something better. (You never stated a budget.)

It's better to hold off on most purchases until you are in NYC, given the plethora of shopping options there to do what's best, try things on before buying.

siege101

Reaction score
Hi there, first post here. I'm looking for a pair of black leather boots, lace-up or slip-on, that will almost always be worn with a pair of jeans, and are going to last for a few years and look good doing it. The only thing I don't want is a pair of Chelsea boots, as I already have a pair of them (Red Wings). A few options I've come across are Red Wing Iron Rangers, Red Wing Gentleman Travelers, Red Wing Beckmans, Fly London Rufus Lace-ups, or Timberland Boot Company Counterpane Captoe Chukkas.

jcab.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
^ Poorly phrased, but dude was asking about shoes, not shirts.

Oh lol jk. Yeah I was confused about what he was asking for..

Jump Around

Reaction score
Originally Posted by siege101
Hi there, first post here.

I'm looking for a pair of black leather boots, lace-up or slip-on, that will almost always be worn with a pair of jeans, and are going to last for a few years and look good doing it.

The only thing I don't want is a pair of Chelsea boots, as I already have a pair of them (Red Wings).

A few options I've come across are Red Wing Iron Rangers, Red Wing Gentleman Travelers, Red Wing Beckmans, Fly London Rufus Lace-ups, or Timberland Boot Company Counterpane Captoe Chukkas.

Those Rangers and the Travelers look great, but Alden Indys are one of the best looking boots out there IMO.

The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=87638

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Where can I get a good peacoat? What are some good brands?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads