• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My perfect wardrobe (ongoing project)

Reaction score
Hi guys! :)

The other day I found myself in a situation that I imagine many of you guys have been in yourselves as I went to my closet to get dressed for the day. I slid the doors open and what met me was shelves upon shelves overflowing with various clothing items in all shapes and forms. Some well worn, some new with tags, some I don't even remember ever buying. The hanger part of my closet wasn't any better. Shirts in all shapes and sizes, stripes, checks, ginghams, contrast collars (shudder) and nothing less than eleven suits and one ill fitting tuxedo, all jam packed together so tightly that I would have had a hard time sliding a playing card inbetween them. To put that into context, I'm a guy who loves tailoring and classic menswear but work in a business casual environment and have a genuine opportunity to wear suits around five times a year. As I reached for a variant of of what has been my everyday uniform for the past five years (merino wool v-neck or quarter-zip, OCBD shirt, chinos and suede loafers) I realized I simply had too much stuff and something had to happen.

Step one was to get rid of all the unnecessary fluff. I sold off most of it and what i didn't manage to sell went to goodwill. Cathartic is the best word I can use to describe this process and i no longer felt suffocated when looking through my closet. Most of my shirts except for three OCBD's and two dress shirts where donated and for my suits I was left with two, a navy blue SB worsted wool, and a mid-grey DB flanell (both of which I'm planning to replace in the future due to some fit issues and design choices I'm not that into anymore, but they are fine for now).

Step two (and where I currently am) has been to map out my entire wardrobe in spreadsheets. I find that this is an exercise i cannot recommend highly enough as it has been so helpfull in uncovering holes I otherwise wouldn't have noticed as well as giving me a clear roadmap of where I want my wardrobe and style to go. My main focus as of now has been on the formal part of my wardrobe as that's the clothes i love the most (even though i wear them the least, lol) and i believe i have come up with a pretty good outline for someone in my position who loves suits and formalwear, and don't mind having a fair amount of it even if it isn't worn that often. This list is of course highly subjective as everyones taste's and needs are different but i hope this little passion project of mine can be of interest and/or help to others in the same position as me. I would also love to hear some feedback and exhange some ideas on this and what you guys would change, cut down on or expand upon in this wardrobe.

Kind regards,
K.

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2022-10-17 kl. 12.36.26.png
    Skjermbilde 2022-10-17 kl. 12.36.26.png
    401.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Skjermbilde 2022-10-17 kl. 12.36.46.png
    Skjermbilde 2022-10-17 kl. 12.36.46.png
    438.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Skjermbilde 2022-10-17 kl. 12.37.04.png
    Skjermbilde 2022-10-17 kl. 12.37.04.png
    404.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Skjermbilde 2022-10-17 kl. 12.37.17.png
    Skjermbilde 2022-10-17 kl. 12.37.17.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 212

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
Few questions if you don't mind:

I'm a guy who loves tailoring and classic menswear but work in a business casual environment and have a genuine opportunity to wear suits around five times a year.

Does it mean that you wear suits approx. 5 times a year, or do you wear them also when there is no "genuine opportunity"?

for my suits I was left with two, a navy blue SB worsted wool, and a mid-grey DB flanell

Do I understand it correctly that you have actually 2 suits left but your plan is to replace them and also buy another 4 suits in addition? I am asking because there are 6 suits in your list.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Ladislav! :)

Thanks for replying and your questions:

Yes, i also wear suits other than the five or so situations a year that demands it. For instance when me and the wife go out for dinner or i meet colleagues for after work drinks. I try to wear suits as often as i can without it being "forced" but for situations that absolutely demand a suit (weddings, formal events, christmas parties etc.) It's around five times a year.

And yes, you understand that correctly. I have two suits left after the "purge" which i am going to replace due to some fit and styling issues that I'm not 100% content with. I would then like to add 4 more as outlined for a total of 6 suits. A bit overindulgent for someone in my situation, I know, but what can i say... I just love suits :p

Reaction score
I'd buy a few pair of derbies and boots to have a better spread than just super formal (oxfords) and very casual (loafers)

Tbh I'm not biggest fan of regular derbies but I've been looking at some split toe options that maybe could help bridge the gap a bit between the formal and casual 🤔 As for boots i do have a pair of brown Utah leather lace ups with commando soles for winter wear and a pair of brown chelsea boots for rest of the seasons, I just didn't include them in the formalwear list as i kind of use them for everything. I may replace the chelsea boots however as I have kind of outgrown the style and see it more as #menswear item now, so replacements suggestions for those are very welcome if you have any :)

Reaction score
Few questions if you don't mind:

Does it mean that you wear suits approx. 5 times a year, or do you wear them also when there is no "genuine opportunity"?

Do I understand it correctly that you have actually 2 suits left but your plan is to replace them and also buy another 4 suits in addition? I am asking because there are 6 suits in your list.

Yes, i also wear suits other than the five or so situations a year that demands it. For instance when me and the wife go out for dinner or i meet colleagues for after work drinks. I try to wear suits as often as i can without it being "forced" but for situations that absolutely demand a suit (weddings, formal events, christmas parties etc.) It's around five times a year.

And yes, you understand that correctly. I have two suits left after the "purge" which i am going to replace due to some fit and styling issues that I'm not 100% content with. I would then like to add 4 more as outlined for a total of 6 suits. A bit overindulgent for someone in my situation, I know, but what can i say... I just love suits :p

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem to like TLB Mallorca shoes. For derbies, I'd go with the Coen in suede, the Nolan in country calf and one of either 135/136 from their artista range.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score

It's nice selection of suits indeed.
I would not buy all of them in a short period of time though, but I would add gradually after longer period of time (let's say every fall/winter season one fall/winter suit). Your tastes in cut/color/material might change in the future as well as your environment / work situation etc. and if you buy all of your suits at once, you might end up with too many suits just hanging in your closet and waiting for another cathartic relief.
I have similar list of my "Perfect Wardrobe" and it is constantly changing, so quite often I am happy I didn't hurry up with my purchases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads