1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Here is the ultimate Noob thread. If you need help building up a new wardrobe, need a recommendation for a shirt/sneaker/jacket/jean/chino/cardigan/v-neck/hoodie/boot, please ask here, instead of starting a new thread.

If you are lucky, you will even get great advice from forum luminaries, including jet, who will inevitably recommend whatever his boy Ryan is carrying this season, and Teger, who is lonely, and will ask you to please phone him.

Enjoy,

Fok.

2. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

I'll start it off:

I want a blazer. Something i can wear in semi-dressy type fits (can be dressed up or down). Nothing like black tie gala or opera. But with trousers, laceups and a button up/plain tshirt type dealy. Those who know me somewhat can kinda guess i'm i'm thinking of. I'm not in the raw denim mafia like some if that helps. I'd wear with everything from grey/black jeans to trousers in black/grey/dark navy, slim or loose fit. I'm interested in whatever, but i don't really know much about blazers as i don't own one

Slim (but not super short/cropped)
    slim lapels but don't need to be super skinny
    very little to no shoulder padding
    don't want some super pressed business looking thing. somewhat natural
    black, grey, navy are fine

brands i've seen carry something i've liked in the past:

raf simons
    obedient sons
    BoO
    helmut lang
    taralis
    gustavolins
    acne
    geller
    ervell
    muji (gshen posted a decent looking one for being a cheapy brand)
    lel posted a nice one (was it TaT? i forget. i sometimes think TaT might be a bit too tight/pressed for me based on jason's fits but i can't tell)

also, what boat shoes would go best with that? (just kidding)

3. skunkworks

skunkworks Senior member

Have you considered having Jason aka Thick As Thieves make you a custom jacket? I think if you picked out a casual fabric it would work well.

4. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Ive been looking for a slim pair of shorts for awhile...Jcrew has nice offerings this season but out of my price range at full retail. SLIM NOT SKINNY SHORTS.

5. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Ive been looking for a slim pair of shorts for awhile...Jcrew has nice offerings this season but out of my price range at full retail. SLIM NOT SKINNY SHORTS.

Bson has made really nice fitting shorts for the past 2 seasons. I'd try to check out bson stockists that carry a lot of stuff like revolve to see if they still have some or carried some for spring.

6. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Edit: suggested TaT but beaten to it.

+ rep for starting this thread.

7. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

+1000000 for starting this thread.

8. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

If J Crew is 2 much $$$, you're probably looking at Uniqlo, which is available only by proxy outside of NY. Gap may have some options, too; quality is OK for the price, but only a really good deal on sale (which won't happen until the end of the summer).

Maybe Bean, Lands End, Urban Outfitters?

9. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Urban outfitters has random in house brands that should work. Fink, all sons, bdg, standard cloth, etc... They should fit the bill.

Also, you can phone or mail order directly from uniqlo if you know exactly what you want. You can use the UK webstore to get exact details and item names to link in email orders.

10. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

basics:

MMM, Jil, Dries, filippa k, h & m, express

runway:

raf, ck collection

sneaks:

cp, raf, rick, nike

boots:

MMM, julius

futurist/ninja:

viridi-anne
    julius
    rick

i buy the bondage stuff i don;t post in waywts at trash & vaudeville

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

the majority of my wardrobe is basics from brands like j crew/banana republic, with a few pieces from 'expensive' brands that I find cheap. knowing how to shop sales and what to compromise on is the key to having a nice wardrobe with a limited budget. it's important to learn your sizing on brands that you can't afford right now, so if something does come up cheap you won't be wasting your money if you pull the trigger.

12. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

express

AKA the forgotten mall brand; I haven't been in one in a minute. Worth a look?

P.S. Agree w/ everything Teger said.

13. sploosh

sploosh Senior member

I need to get something to wear for easter. I was thinking light blue button up shirt(maybe with a yellow tie, probably with out a tie.) Suggestions for what type of pants to wear, and what shirt I should buy. I am still growing so nothing too expensive. Also I was thinking for shoes, boat shoes would go pretty well, Although I could be thinking wrong and they could look terrible.

14. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

for basic shirts for $40'ish, you cannot do better. have some white button downs for 5 years that have held up well. their fashiony stuff is ill, but for basics, a solid and cheap choice.

AKA the forgotten mall brand; I haven't been in one in a minute. Worth a look?

15. Teger

Teger Senior member

express is ok for super basics like tees and button down shirts. the issue I have with them is that none of their stuff is 100% cotton, and I like a little more 'drape' in my shirts.

16. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^they are part elastene,and i don;t like drape which is probably why i do like them.

17. whacked

whacked Senior member

The buttons on Express shirts are absolutely garbage though. Too thin and crack way too easily.

18. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

I need to get something to wear for easter. I was thinking light blue button up shirt(maybe with a yellow tie, probably with out a tie.) Suggestions for what type of pants to wear, and what shirt I should buy. I am still growing so nothing too expensive. Also I was thinking for shoes, boat shoes would go pretty well, Although I could be thinking wrong and they could look terrible.
    A lightweight light color khaki would be nice with that for easter stuff. Some white canvas shoes maybe. I dunno. I've worn something similar (sans tie) and it worked out well. Kunk- You say express fits pretty well, but wait till that no carb diet kicks in a bit more and you go on the Justin diet. You'll sing a different tune

19. Brutus

Brutus Senior member

Go visit Robbie at Target and buy a button down you like but isn't over the top obnoxious and get it tailored. I always wonder what people are thinking when they add in descriptives like I am still growing. Do you really want people to know you're a little guy?

Edit: I don't think Robbie works at Target anymore but whatever.

20. Teger

Teger Senior member

the one cheap brand that I've never had luck with is H&M. all the stuff seems really poorly made and fits badly. I really wanted to pick up a nice cheap wool coat from them over the winter (my BR coat is fucking falling apart.. really sad about that buy), but found nothing worth even half of what they wanted [​IMG]