• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Jump Around

Reaction score

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Grey, light brown, or Black Desert Clarks? Can't decide...

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
Grey, light brown, or Black Desert Clarks? Can't decide...

Why not beeswax?

DECEMBER

Reaction score
don't like the shine.

Oh yea,, and I forgot to mention that I'm wearing with jeans... (I dress in drab colors.. Black / white / diff shades of grey / desert .. etc)
which will eventually fade to a lighter color so I'm wondering if black will stand out too much, and if gray will look too bizarre... I'm thinking somewhere between tan - brown...

I really like the contrast of the white leather lining on the "taupe suede," which is the only pair I've been able to try on.. Can't find the black or grey ones.

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-desert-boot-taupe-suede

bakatora

Reaction score
I'm in the market for some nice engineer's boots. any recommandations? i found some that i liked from whiz, but they are long gone. right now I'm considering the NDGs. i'm open to suggestions though. thanks

Border123

Reaction score
When/How should you be wearing sport coats? Are they a daily thing or do you want to reserve them to a non casual look?

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Border123
When/How should you be wearing sport coats? Are they a daily thing or do you want to reserve them to a non casual look?
If you have to ask, don't.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bakatora
I'm in the market for some nice engineer's boots. any recommandations? i found some that i liked from whiz, but they are long gone. right now I'm considering the NDGs. i'm open to suggestions though. thanks
I know that the collaboration with Red Wing gave the 'trench protection boots' the grey nubuck with black hardware 875, I didn't think there was anything else. If you check the superfuture Boots that age well thread, over in superdenim, there is heaps of tasty, tasty boots to oogle. There is a guy who has a blog entirely devoted to vintage engineer boots. Also, the Buzz Rickson engineer boots are plain awesome.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you check the Amazon link at the top right of the page, it will take you to a whole bunch of books. I suggest you read a few of them. The best are The Suit, http://astore.amazon.com/thestylefor...ail/0060891866 and Dressing the Man, http://astore.amazon.com/thestylefor...ail/0060191449 The suit is particularly useful as it ensures you don't dress like a complete tit, or simply, as 90% of MC does. Tone down the silly pattern matching and keep it simple.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks, What is the main thing to look for when buying casual shirts so I don't end up buying something to fancy. for example what separates a shirt I can wear with jeans on a daily basis to one I would use with dress pants and visa versa
Sup again. Read those books, they will do you well. So what seperates the two is fit, fabric and cut. Fit will be slimmer in shirts to wear with denim, cut will be higher and fabric will be less lux, or lux in a casual way. Pretty much, if you want to wear nice shirts to the office etc or with a suit, really look at doing MTM as the fit cannot be beaten and the aren't really that much more expensive then the italian handmade garbage which always has problems. I have MTM shirts for both, I find that I get a much better fit without dicking around. However if you live in the states and in a good city, you can probably find a designer who cuts shirts well for you and settle with them, to wear with denim. If you can be bothered, a good place to start is Jantzen. Can make shirts from 50 australian with mother of pearl buttons, so it's pretty good. Carl at CEGO is also a top guy, would use him if I was in NY. Write me a long list of questions and P.M them to me if you have more. Same goes to anyone here, I don't mind helping out, especially with how thick with trolls a large part of the rest of the forum is.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djc109
i am a noob, looking for combat style boots. looked at the fryes , kcole , f+b, just wondering what you guys would look the best good quality but not in the $500 price range just a little to pricey. like the fryes looked at the black rogan and the black rand lace up thanks for any help.
If you happen to be a certain size check out rodengray.com's sale, they have the W+H boots on sale now at a really good price.

I think buttero's are probably the best, then N.D.C

Buttero's are welted/blake rapid whereas alot of N.D.C are regular blake stitched.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics