• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things your dumb friends post on facebook

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like this whole strategy of ascribing things I don’t like to Hitler in the hopes of making other people dislike them too.

Did you guys know that Hitler made the German people use paper straws during the war? It was because he needed all the plastic to make weapons to kill more European civilians

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Piobaire will like this one:
upload_2018-10-9_9-57-30.png

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's awesome x 2.

brokencycle

Reaction score
In the comments she says it isn't her car, but she'll be shopping for hers soon... apparently buying a car with what you make means the car is paid for by your company (note this person is big into MLM).

43411774_10102603986502663_1400189313072758784_n.jpg

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
exactly pretty muuch?

Well, which is it- exactly or pretty much? Those are two separate concepts, she does understand that, right?

Oh wait, she doesn't trust vaccinations, one of the greatest developments in modern medicine, so never mind.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
In the comments she says it isn't her car, but she'll be shopping for hers soon... apparently buying a car with what you make means the car is paid for by your company (note this person is big into MLM).

43411774_10102603986502663_1400189313072758784_n.jpg
So it’s basically a lie intended to prompt interest in her ponz — I mean MLM scheme?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't even know where to start...

Is it that blacksmithing was a highly skilled profession that the average person had no clue how to do?

that painting a wall or fixing a wobbly table leg hasn't become substantially different or less important than it was 30 years ago?

I get that people like to **** on millennials for every possible reason, but being worse at a practical skill seems like a fairly legitimate observation and not random generational bitching. Maybe the better target of your ire should be the boomer dads who failed to impart practical skills on their kids?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boomers blaming their failures as parents on young people is already a meme itself.

At the same time, there's really no excuse to not know **** like that these days with Youtube and all.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose you could make some argument about delayed home ownership meaning people haven't had to pick up those skills yet...they might respond to a survey today saying "no, I don't know how to replace a toilet flapper" but when they eventually need to, they will learn how with 10 minutes on youtube.

But even that I mostly attribute to preferences not economic reality. I don't blame boomers for my generation choosing to concentrate in certain markets and drive prices up, or opting to marry and have kids at a later age which naturally delays home ownership.

If anything, I'd blame the boomers for an educational policy that has largely lead to schools cutting things like shop and home ec classes.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the DIY done in this 1975 house I'm living in is any indication of boomers' "DIY skills," then they were already pretty damned pathetic. How do you wire a doorbell into a 3-way switch with a set of switched receptacles?

I suppose you could make some argument about delayed home ownership meaning people haven't had to pick up those skills yet...they might respond to a survey today saying "no, I don't know how to replace a toilet flapper" but when they eventually need to, they will learn how with 10 minutes on youtube.

It's a good argument. Why learn to DIY when you can just call your landlord and get it fixed with no cost or effort?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I pulled up that article, and it doesn't seem to be age adjusted in any way. They're just directly comparing Boomers now to Millennials now.

So...people with 30-40 years more experience at homeownership have better DIY skills. No ****?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads