Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. DLester

DLester Senior member

^you may have better luck in the peacoat thread. Peacoats are studied in incredible detail there.

2. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Those Rangers and the Travelers look great, but Alden Indys are one of the best looking boots out there IMO.

The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=87638

+1 GTs and Alden Indy Boots are the way to go.

3. fashomister16

fashomister16 New Member

Do you guys think all black converses would go with grey vintage Farah pants?

4. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

^ Definitely not. Black and gray? I can't think of two colors that go less well together.

5. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Where can I get a good peacoat? What are some good brands?

J.Crew!
    Slim and very cheap.

6. Dethevn

Dethevn Active Member

Hey all, first post, although I do browse a lot.

I've been looking to buy some boots and I came across someone willing to sell me Alden Shell Cordovan Jumpers from the states but I do not have any experience sizing Aldens.

He said they come in 9.5 D so I measured my foot and I'm not sure if they will fit.

I wear a:
    10 US in most sneakers, nikes, etc.
    9.5 in Clark's DB
    and my foot measured is roughly 10.5 inches.

I'm also 4" in width using the tape.

7. aviddresser

aviddresser Member

What are the fashion rules of socks? When is it ok to wear brown, black or white?

8. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

What are the fashion rules of socks? When is it ok to wear brown, black or white?
    I assume you mean with suits? Otherwise, you'll never see them. I'd go with darker colors, avoid white. You can go with flamboyant colors if you're a poofter. (Read: iGent)

9. sploosh

sploosh Senior member

I need dress shoes for $100 or less and I need them fast for a model un conference that requires "western business attire". What is my best bet for my price?

10. Lel

Lel Senior member

Used Allen Edmonds/vintage Florshiems off the B&S forum.

Or, use whatever old black dress shoes you already have.

Or, bump up your budget and get nicer black shoes.

Or, go to a local thrift store and get something for cheap and not in terrible condition.

Look, since I guess you "need" these just either 1.) get something disposable as cheap as possible or 2.) just buy nicer shoes nice.

In the long run you will be looking back and seeing how you wasted $100 on brand new crappy shoes when you could have instead spent money elsewhere.

PS: nice sig

11. 89shaggy

89shaggy Member

I'm a 20 year old male with dirty blonde (almost brown) hair and blue eyes, slim/athletic build. I have light blue, dark blue, and dark grey/black jeans. I'm looking for some help in finding some decent button downs with some help on matching colors (with jeans and undershirts) along with shoes, I normally wear skate shoes for comfort but I have no problems with dress shoes or any other suggestions. Any help is appreciated.

12. spagnutty

spagnutty Active Member

I'm a 20 year old male with dirty blonde (almost brown) hair and blue eyes, slim/athletic build. I have light blue, dark blue, and dark grey/black jeans. I'm looking for some help in finding some decent button downs with some help on matching colors (with jeans and undershirts) along with shoes, I normally wear skate shoes for comfort but I have no problems with dress shoes or any other suggestions. Any help is appreciated.
    There's lots and lots of information on this in men's style' slim fit dress shirt pinned thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=35147&page=82 But 80+ pages can be a bit hard to extract useful information from sometimes. My personal recommendation is H&M. Their fits are truly slim fitting (a LOT of the recommendations from the above thread are not), and they're really really cheap. Sale shirts are usually 15 bucks, new ones 25-30. They also have somewhat longer sleeves for their sizes, which is a life saver if you're both slim and decently tall. Most of their shirts are a bit on the more colorful side, so not the bestif you're looking for super bland basic solid color whites and blues. There are many higher quality options I'm sure, but for some budget tentative puchases and experiments it's pretty hard to beat.

13. Esoterik

Esoterik Member

Looking to pick up some casual button Up shirts, what would you suggest for someone new to actual style. I am 5'10" 185 lbs fairly fit build, dark brown buzzed hair with blue eyes What I am looking for style wise is just button Up shirts with rolled up sleeve and jean/pant look. What color/pattern shirts are generally accepted for this and what type of pant? (khaki/jean/etc?)

14. Guyute

Guyute Senior member

Looking for some cool belts to wear with denim that will age well and fit a VERY tight budget...

15. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Looking to pick up some casual button down shirts, what would you suggest for someone new to actual style. I am 5'10" 185 lbs fairly fit build, dark brown buzzed hair with blue eyes What I am looking for style wise is just button down shirts with rolled up sleeve and jean/pant look. What color/pattern shirts are generally accepted for this and what type of pant? (khaki/jean/etc?)
    For clarification, a button down shirt refers to a shirt with a button-down collar, a button up shirt is a shirt with a button closure. Band of Outsiders.