• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Muscle
I heard that some skinheads in 60s ironed creases (or how is it called in English) on their jeans. Is that true?

I can only go by my own recollection. I used an iron on turn-ups but never ironed a crease in jeans.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Muscle
I found it also in this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11531081@N05/1423646440/
That pic looks like a later Skinhead, In the 60s we never Ironed in our creases, Jeans are workwear treat them as such, Also we never sewed in our turn-ups, We did sew in the turn ups if we shortened them, this was just to stop the jeans fraying.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding Skinheads and Ivy cloths, Back in the 60s as a young Skinhead I was convinced that Skinheads came from America, This was due to getting most of my cloths from the Ivy/Squire Shop, We was obsessed with anything American, Some of the Lads would go to Austins in Regent Street getting American imported suits. They would also wear Ray-bans when most Skinheads would wear cheap sunglasses.
I have read on other sites that Original Skinheads could not afford Ivy League cloths, We may not have been able to afford them, but we busted balls getting the money for them, I spent a weeks wages on my first Royals. I know not all Skinheads was smart back then, some would piss their money up the wall, Some never had the money, and some could not care a fcuk about cloths, thats life, But for me and many others cloths was everything.
To this day many a now middle aged ex Skinheads will still be seen wearing Brogues, BD shirts, Harringtons etc

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
To this day many a now middle aged ex Skinheads will still be seen wearing Brogues, BD shirts, Harringtons etc

smile.gif
exactly what I'm wearing today. tho am not quite "middle age", but getting uncomfortably closer
frown.gif

not sure how I feel about skinheads who don't care about clothes....sure there's more to it than just the clothes, but that is such a big part of it and separates you from just another short haired jock/skater/punk/whatever.

DrBassie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
not sure how I feel about skinheads who don't care about clothes....sure there's more to it than just the clothes, but that is such a big part of it and separates you from just another short haired jock/skater/punk/whatever.

+1

That's what annoys me about "skins" in my town. They're a scruffy lot that you'd expect to see hanging out with gutter punks in some alley. That gets into what being a skinhead is. I've always thought, while not the only thing, but the biggest.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
smile.gif
exactly what I'm wearing today. tho am not quite "middle age", but getting uncomfortably closer
frown.gif

I think what i meant was with the Originals it was just the fashion of the day, A lad would put on a old pair of boots & braces, and he was part of the scene, As the style developed, Skinheads started to get smarter, and to some it became a obsession, I found with our lot you would have the smarter Skinheads forming a sub group, We would travel out of our area and go to a dance hall where you had to be smart to get in, For example you could not get into the Tottenham Royal London wearing Jeans, Most of the Boys and Girls would wear suits, Everyone would try and outdoo each other with the latest Shirt, or suit patten/material etc. One was very conscious of being in a sort of fashion Parade, Back then you did not have to be the best looking lad to pull a Girl, Long as you had the right clobber on Lol.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
I think what i meant was with the Originals it was just the fashion of the day, A lad would put on a old pair of boots & braces, and he was part of the scene,
As the style developed, Skinheads started to get smarter, and to some it became a obsession, I found with our lot you would have the smarter Skinheads forming a sub group, We would travel out of our area and go to a dance hall where you had to be smart to get in, For example you could not get into the Tottenham Royal London wearing Jeans, Most of the Boys and Girls would wear suits, Everyone would try and outdoo each other with the latest Shirt, or suit patten/material etc. One was very conscious of being in a sort of fashion Parade, Back then you did not have to be the best looking lad to pull a Girl, Long as you had the right clobber on Lol.

We were not just obsessed with having the right clothes, but about how we presented them - so we would stand all the way on the train to Ilford Palais so as not to crease our trousers!

In any kind of 'club' there are those that won't conform and skinheads dressing badly was always an issue. That may have hastened the end - those that loved clothes maybe had to move on...

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brideshead;4161807 said:
We were not just obsessed with having the right clothes, but about how we presented them - so we would stand all the way on the train to Ilford Palais so as not to crease our trousers!

Ha Ha That was so true, standing up on trains..not to crease our suits, I am still laughing, Presentation, Some was smart, some thought they was smart, and some never had a clue Lol

bunty

Reaction score
Another question for the originals - What about being able to dance ? Heard that no matter how good you looked, it was dancing that pulled the opposite sex. Even the 'proper chaps' had to get on the dance floor if they wanted to impress girls. How true was that in your neck of the woods?
Also for a while it was ok to go out in jeans and boots, then when 'the look' had gone national and any little 'erbert in Tesco tearaways and boots jumped on the bandwagon, pubs and clubs tightened up their door policy, so suits, shoes etc were worn and hair grown again.
One other quick one chaps, jeans worn with shoes...yes or no?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most Skinheads would stand around the outside of the dance floor.. trying to look the part. Eyeing up the Girls, We did not really dance on our own, We would stand their moving.. but without moving our legs, It was all about not looking stupid, We copied this off the Black Lads.

We would wait for a Slow record, that would come on every three or four records, mostly Tamla Motown, We would grab a Girl and do the Grind, You had to have the confidence to pull her arm, most cases she would have noticed you, Again you had to look smart, with the attitude.
Skinheads sometimes would all get on the dance floor, and jump about with their mates to say Liquidator, Chanting their Football Team.
As Brideshead said it was all about Presentation, You was always aware of your appearance and actions. Under pressure to look and act the part.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babeef