Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

did you guys ever go as far into Ivy League cloths as corduroy and tweed sport jackets, chino trousers etc? Seems like harringtons, buttondown shirts, staprest and brogues/loafers are about as deep into the IL style as originals got.

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

did you guys ever go as far into Ivy League cloths as corduroy and tweed sport jackets?

Corduroy and tweed were always 'country gent' clothes in the UK.

Having said that, Levi cord jackets were popular up north.

3. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior Member

did you guys ever go as far into Ivy League cloths as corduroy and tweed sport jackets, chino trousers etc? Seems like harringtons, buttondown shirts, staprest and brogues/loafers are about as deep into the IL style as originals got.

I sometimes where a chocolate brown corduroy three button jacket. Looks great with a check shirt and stapress for a smart casual look. I also have a Harris Tweed Hacking Jacket that looks great.

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Distinguished Member

As you know Jason, Skinheads do not like Chinos, But in the late 70s, early 80s, I could not find Sta Press..like the old Levis Sta Press, so i started to wear Chinos, I like the baggier style, Looks cool with a Leather A2 Flying jacket and Brogues.
    I also have a couple of Tweed jackets one a lovely Three button Bladen Hacking jacket.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Brooks Bros actually makes a decent chino that is more like staprest than chinos. They call it the "milano fit chino", which is a slim fitting trouser, a heavier cloth so not typical chino cloth, and has a crease that is supposed to keep even after washing, like on staprest. It's also a wrinkle free cotton so basically "staprest" even tho they call it a chino. They have it in stone color, so took a punt and ordered a pair (good return policy if they suck), I know they fit well from trying on in store, hope the stone color is true to website pics as it looks quite good. here's pic from website. I think with the proper shirt, brogues etc. they should be quite serviceable.

6. GINGERNUT

GINGERNUT New Member

The Willesden Boys
    Harlesden/Willesden/Stonebridge/Neasden/Kensal Rise NW10
    Willesden Green/Cricklewood NW2

7. GINGERNUT

GINGERNUT New Member

Willesden NW10
    White Horse Church Road NW10: Demolished
    White Hart Willesden High Road/Church Road NW10: Demolished

8. DrBassie

DrBassie Well-Known Member

Brooks Bros actually makes a decent chino that is more like staprest than chinos. They call it the "milano fit chino", which is a slim fitting trouser, a heavier cloth so not typical chino cloth, and has a crease that is supposed to keep even after washing, like on staprest. It's also a wrinkle free cotton so basically "staprest" even tho they call it a chino. They have it in stone color, so took a punt and ordered a pair (good return policy if they suck), I know they fit well from trying on in store, hope the stone color is true to website pics as it looks quite good. here's pic from website. I think with the proper shirt, brogues etc. they should be quite serviceable.
    Yeah, post what you think of them. I saw THESE and would've tried them if they made them in dark navy. I like the pockets better. It's too bad that they've seemed to discontinue them. *EDIT*Bah, noticed to permanent crease in those though

9. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior Member

Late 1969 about 200 Willesden attacked The Ace Cafe (rockers main London cafe).

A bit out of the way by public transport. Stonebridge Park station and walk along the North Circular? I remember it from the 'ton up' boy era. As I kid,I used to go to judo in the road opposite The Pantiles public house. I would see bikers speeding along the road with no helmets. All British bikes of course.

10. Lasttye

11. Lasttye

A bit out of the way by public transport. Stonebridge Park station and walk along the North Circular? I remember it from the 'ton up' boy era. As I kid,I used to go to judo in the road opposite The Pantiles public house. I would see bikers speeding along the road with no helmets. All British bikes of course.

Do you remember the Abbey Hotel Pub along from the Ace Cafe, It would have a Disco on a Saturday night ?
    Long demolished.

12. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior Member

Do you remember the Abbey Hotel Pub along from the Ace Cafe, It would have a Disco on a Saturday night ?
    Long demolished.

Yes, next to Crown House office block where I worked for a while. So it was the Friday lunch time watering hole. Never went there on a Saturday though.

13. Garik

Garik Member

What boots would you recommend for winter? I like my DMs very much, they are very comfortable and looks very smart but they are totally unuseable in snowy streets. They slips like a hell. And recommendations?

That's peculiar - we are having one of the iciest winters ever here in Scotland, and my daughter's DMs seem to have a grip like a Yorkshireman on a five-pound-note!

Just found these looking through the older pages of the thread and decided to jump in. I believe both statements are so very true. When in comes to icy or wet roads, Docs are just the best to keep your feet grounded. But I agree with BM in that DMs are too slippery on snowy footworn pavements. In such a weather I choose to wear my G.T. Hawkins boots with a sole like this.
    [​IMG]

14. browniecj

browniecj Distinguished Member

15. GINGERNUT

GINGERNUT New Member