Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

this is someone's photobook online that compiles a bunch of skinhead photos. most modern (70s and beyond) with a splattering of 60s pics. overall pretty fun to scroll thru

2. Big Muscle

Big Muscle Senior member

I heard that some skinheads in 60s ironed creases (or how is it called in English) on their jeans. Is that true?

3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I heard that some skinheads in 60s ironed creases (or how is it called in English) on their jeans. Is that true?

I can only go by my own recollection. I used an iron on turn-ups but never ironed a crease in jeans.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

having seen pics of guys wearing ironed front creases, just looks wrong to me.

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Regarding Skinheads and Ivy cloths, Back in the 60s as a young Skinhead I was convinced that Skinheads came from America, This was due to getting most of my cloths from the Ivy/Squire Shop, We was obsessed with anything American, Some of the Lads would go to Austins in Regent Street getting American imported suits. They would also wear Ray-bans when most Skinheads would wear cheap sunglasses.
    I have read on other sites that Original Skinheads could not afford Ivy League cloths, We may not have been able to afford them, but we busted balls getting the money for them, I spent a weeks wages on my first Royals. I know not all Skinheads was smart back then, some would piss their money up the wall, Some never had the money, and some could not care a fcuk about cloths, thats life, But for me and many others cloths was everything.
    To this day many a now middle aged ex Skinheads will still be seen wearing Brogues, BD shirts, Harringtons etc

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

To this day many a now middle aged ex Skinheads will still be seen wearing Brogues, BD shirts, Harringtons etc

[​IMG] exactly what I'm wearing today. tho am not quite "middle age", but getting uncomfortably closer [​IMG]

not sure how I feel about skinheads who don't care about clothes....sure there's more to it than just the clothes, but that is such a big part of it and separates you from just another short haired jock/skater/punk/whatever.

8. DrBassie

DrBassie Well-Known Member

not sure how I feel about skinheads who don't care about clothes....sure there's more to it than just the clothes, but that is such a big part of it and separates you from just another short haired jock/skater/punk/whatever.

+1

That's what annoys me about "skins" in my town. They're a scruffy lot that you'd expect to see hanging out with gutter punks in some alley. That gets into what being a skinhead is. I've always thought, while not the only thing, but the biggest.

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

[​IMG] exactly what I'm wearing today. tho am not quite "middle age", but getting uncomfortably closer [​IMG] not sure how I feel about skinheads who don't care about clothes....sure there's more to it than just the clothes, but that is such a big part of it and separates you from just another short haired jock/skater/punk/whatever.
    I think what i meant was with the Originals it was just the fashion of the day, A lad would put on a old pair of boots & braces, and he was part of the scene, As the style developed, Skinheads started to get smarter, and to some it became a obsession, I found with our lot you would have the smarter Skinheads forming a sub group, We would travel out of our area and go to a dance hall where you had to be smart to get in, For example you could not get into the Tottenham Royal London wearing Jeans, Most of the Boys and Girls would wear suits, Everyone would try and outdoo each other with the latest Shirt, or suit patten/material etc. One was very conscious of being in a sort of fashion Parade, Back then you did not have to be the best looking lad to pull a Girl, Long as you had the right clobber on Lol.

10. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

I think what i meant was with the Originals it was just the fashion of the day, A lad would put on a old pair of boots & braces, and he was part of the scene,
    As the style developed, Skinheads started to get smarter, and to some it became a obsession, I found with our lot you would have the smarter Skinheads forming a sub group, We would travel out of our area and go to a dance hall where you had to be smart to get in, For example you could not get into the Tottenham Royal London wearing Jeans, Most of the Boys and Girls would wear suits, Everyone would try and outdoo each other with the latest Shirt, or suit patten/material etc. One was very conscious of being in a sort of fashion Parade, Back then you did not have to be the best looking lad to pull a Girl, Long as you had the right clobber on Lol.

We were not just obsessed with having the right clothes, but about how we presented them - so we would stand all the way on the train to Ilford Palais so as not to crease our trousers!

In any kind of 'club' there are those that won't conform and skinheads dressing badly was always an issue. That may have hastened the end - those that loved clothes maybe had to move on...

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

12. bunty

bunty Senior member

Another question for the originals - What about being able to dance ? Heard that no matter how good you looked, it was dancing that pulled the opposite sex. Even the 'proper chaps' had to get on the dance floor if they wanted to impress girls. How true was that in your neck of the woods?
    Also for a while it was ok to go out in jeans and boots, then when 'the look' had gone national and any little 'erbert in Tesco tearaways and boots jumped on the bandwagon, pubs and clubs tightened up their door policy, so suits, shoes etc were worn and hair grown again.
    One other quick one chaps, jeans worn with shoes...yes or no?

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Most Skinheads would stand around the outside of the dance floor.. trying to look the part. Eyeing up the Girls, We did not really dance on our own, We would stand their moving.. but without moving our legs, It was all about not looking stupid, We copied this off the Black Lads.

We would wait for a Slow record, that would come on every three or four records, mostly Tamla Motown, We would grab a Girl and do the Grind, You had to have the confidence to pull her arm, most cases she would have noticed you, Again you had to look smart, with the attitude.
    Skinheads sometimes would all get on the dance floor, and jump about with their mates to say Liquidator, Chanting their Football Team.
    As Brideshead said it was all about Presentation, You was always aware of your appearance and actions. Under pressure to look and act the part.