• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
There are lots of cool, fashion related topics. This was not one of them.

And, fwiw, the "douchey moderator" who relocated your thread was j, my partner here, and the senior administrator who founded this site. So, bye.

Fok.

So much win LOL.

Marbles I hope you're reading this I was the one who reported your post dumbass.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asked before but got no answers

What kind of shirts go nicely with trench coats for casual wear (i.e. w/jeans or chinos)?

Is it bad to pop the collar on a trench (or anything)? I find popped collars douchey for polos and button downs, but somehow it seems to make sense to me for peacoats and trenches.

Any advice appreciated.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You guys are lost.

style_goat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
Is it okay to wear dark brown cords with a black coat?
Why not? All time-honored rules of dress are breakable if execution is carefully heeded. Admittedly, some are harder than others. But Brown and Black are awfully conventional.

intensanity

Reaction score
College student rebuilding his wardrobe from scratch basically. Other than Jeans, what are essentially casual pants?

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
You guys are lost.
What's the point of posting in here if you're not gonna answer questions Seriously here's the first post
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Here is the ultimate Noob thread. If you need help building up a new wardrobe, need a recommendation for a shirt/sneaker/jacket/jean/chino/cardigan/v-neck/hoodie/boot, please ask here, instead of starting a new thread.
You guys dogpile noobs for starting new threads, and then when ppl ask questions in here the people who could offer advice dogpile them too, or completely ignore them. This place could be an amazing resource if not for the perpetual oneupmanship and scouring for the next dog pile. Anyways, again I ask.... I like my trench, plan on getting some cardigans as I've seen that those & anything with a long v neck tend to look good with open trench coats. But I don't want to be limited to a cardigan every time I wear the trench. However I don't like the v neck sweaters or oxfords I would wear with the trench so I'm looking for other suggestions, or reasoning as to why that's a stupid question.

style_goat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
What's the point of posting in here if you're not gonna answer questions

Seriously here's the first post

You guys dogpile noobs for starting new threads, and then when ppl ask questions in here the people who could offer advice dogpile them too, or completely ignore them.

This place could be an amazing resource if not for the perpetual oneupmanship and scouring for the next dog pile.

Anyways, again I ask.... I like my trench, plan on getting some cardigans as I've seen that those & anything with a long v neck tend to look good with open trench coats. But I don't want to be limited to a cardigan every time I wear the trench. However I don't like the v neck sweaters or oxfords I would wear with the trench so I'm looking for other suggestions, or reasoning as to why that's a stupid question.

+1

A loose fitting v-neck shirt springs to mind.

With regards to the cardigans, a shawl collared one would complement a trench nicely. I have the non-cable version of this in charcoal:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/explorer.ht...066246-000-69/

Very versatile sweater for a mere 40 bucks

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously here's the first post

You guys dogpile noobs for starting new threads, and then when ppl ask questions in here the people who could offer advice dogpile them too, or completely ignore them.

CtK, you are correct that this is the right spot for noob questions. Accordingly I will attempt to answer your question below:

Asked before but got no answers

What kind of shirts go nicely with trench coats for casual wear (i.e. w/jeans or chinos)?

Is it bad to pop the collar on a trench (or anything)? I find popped collars douchey for polos and button downs, but somehow it seems to make sense to me for peacoats and trenches.

Any advice appreciated.

1. Most casual, collared shirts (OCBD type stuff) would go fine with trenches and jeans/chinos. I doubt plaid or chambray would go well. But it might work with some of the funkier, less trad trenches out there so who knows. I am not crazy about trenches though tbh.

2. I often pop the collar on overcoats unless they have huge collars. Trenches often have very large collars, so this may or may not be a good idea based on the trench. So I would have to see the specific trench to assess.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Read the title of the thread, read your post, rinse and repeat until you understand.
Originally Posted by clarksdb
Is it okay to wear dark brown cords with a black coat?
There is an Ask a Question thread for a reason.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. That Uniqlo cardigan looks awesome... I've been looking for something just like that.

I will post a fit with my trench collar popped. Hopefully the gods will be merciful

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Read the title of the thread, read your post, rinse and repeat until you understand. There is an Ask a Question thread for a reason.
How the **** are people supposed to get recommendations if they can't ask questions? I'm convinced some people are just here to be pricks. Would my post have been acceptable if I posted my query in a sentence form? What difference would it make Again thanks to the dudes who answered my simple questions

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads