• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

ASAPRice

Reaction score
mid 30s, but sure.

i actually dont care what you think, in the sense of your approval, in a nice way. i’ve been me without knowing you and i feel just fine. similarly, im not even trying to dangle my approval (which obviously, you dont want) behind a biker jacket lit with blinking LEDs. im not even advocating for complete shifts in your aesthetic. im just trying to talk to you. im just saying change is inevitable, its to the dialogue and nature of fashion to move with it (and participate) over time, however slightly. dont you find it interesting that just by me saying “hey what if there is something good here? lets consider bits of it? try something new?” people feel completely targetted and triggered?

these perspectives of fashion, baffle me on styleforum. to me, fashion is an expression of not only self, but one’s interaction with the world around them. to me fashion is dynamic, while im here typing while i poop, fighting against static. if your world is a dozen others who groupthink and reply to you on the internet, youre going to storm the capital of fashion week and say theres no way hedi doesnt design differently than he did a decade ago. is it better to superciliously walk out of a fitting room saying “i miss saint laurent 8 years ago”?

this consistent mentality seen around here is is hardly creative, extremely regimented and extremely conservative. it might as well be called uniformforum. superciliousforum.

unlike your view of your style heroes, it’s not good enough for me. hedi didnt look at bowie posters and say damn i love how this guy doesnt take chances.
i think this is what im referring to, and please take this as a compliment, you actually might. its just youre feel for how pants “should” fit or how small a jacket “should” be is heavily invested in the self image youve accepted (through hedi designs).

im a thin dude too, there is this sort of unspoken pride one gets in having clothes be small. theres a reason 44s are the toughest size to get in hedi jackets. you fit this template of skinny clothes for skinny people but youre limiting yourself to one silhouette that “celebrates” your build.

this is what i dislike about menswear vs womenswear, theres all this talk about silhouette but in truth you only know straight rigid narrow lines. no play on proportion or drape or volume. its like a chick that only wears bodycon dresses.

dont buy the logo, thats fine id never argue that.

the aesthetic thats “pandering to sales” may seem dramatic to you, but you see the other hand, right?

how is celine as a house going to survive if it sells to just the set that would rather buy his **** from 10 years ago. literally what people complained about with his first collections with celine. thats like saying you hate rei for play. its a ******* business and im fine with celine selling logo shirts if it can fuel greater works.

growing just might be as little as letting yourself see a little something in something new, because i think the younger generation is doing decent job of finding something new in something old. thats fine, they werent there. i see these obsessions over past collections and great, i love them too, but i was there and i aint wearing the same ******* clothes from a decade ago, let alone nearly 20 years ago, over and over again. like the david kramer ****, they have nostalgia for things they probably have never known.

yeah. you dont have to.

77e.jpg

have you ever thought that maybe some people just like dressing well, not experimenting too much and just looking good? Basically, all I'm saying is talk **** post fit, lemme see how you dress

pockets

Reaction score
77e.jpg

have you ever thought that maybe some people just like dressing well, not experimenting too much and just looking good? Basically, all I'm saying is talk **** post fit, lemme see how you dress

“not experimenting too much”

just a little though? why? because you saw something new, considered a change, and it paid off? do we disagree?

like, did everyone take quantum leaps into their current wardrobes? are we just hiding our vulnerable missteps to feel internet superior to others still on their way?

what you wear right now is the best you’ll ever be? ******* boring.

i dont take fit pics. i dont pose and share them in hopes of impressing, inspiring, disappointing, or competing with whomever. id explain why, but judging by how my other thoughts have been received here, you wouldn't like it. just assume i dress worse than you. that’ll invalidate what i’ve been saying this whole time about trying something new.

ASAPRice

Reaction score
“not experimenting too much”

just a little though? why? because you saw something new, considered a change, and it paid off? do we disagree?

like, did everyone take quantum leaps into their current wardrobes? are we just hiding our vulnerable missteps to feel internet superior to others still on their way?

what you wear right now is the best you’ll ever be? ******* boring.

i dont take fit pics. i dont pose and share them in hopes of impressing, inspiring, disappointing, or competing with whomever. id explain why, but judging by how my other thoughts have been received here, you wouldn't like it. just assume i dress worse than you. that’ll invalidate what i’ve been saying this whole time about trying something new.
nah, it's not that complicated, I simply dress the way I like, for myself. Why do you care if its boring? It's always the people who won't post fits tryina tell people how to dress.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Not gonna lie, I like the occasional chaos and oversized/skinny debate in this thread.

in regard to shifting of silhouettes, i think its hard for people to snap out of the whole skinny mindset, but its worth it imo.

teen knight poem is another example of rebalancing proportions and having a little fun with volume. the pants can stay skinny but the layering and the cuts of the jackets add a coziness and a vibe shift that i believe is needed. tbh i see dudes who havent developed past SL ideals and you look mad uncomfortable.

I don't think anyone needs to develop past "SL ideals", assuming you mean Hedi Saint Laurent. Most of what Hedi presented was already done decades earlier. It's not something you're ever going to go wrong with in "the real world", unless you're looking specifically at trends and what's hot online.

size up on a cardigan.

loosen up.

get a jacket a little bigger.

Hedi has done oversized knitwear and outerwear right of the bat in FW13, that's nothing new. Saint Laurent and Hedi fans were very familiar with it before TDK and TKP at Celine.

new fashion isnt a threat to your wardrobe, its inspiration to build off of it.

shifts in self image are healthy.

let go. grow.

I agree that new fashion can be an inspiration, I'm just not inspired. At all.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting discussion above and a little more dynamic than the usual slim vs volume dialogue. Both sides raise great points.

I recently ordered the grey-green iconic sweater from TKP which looks more voluminous than my usual get-up. I thought the color looked intriguing and while the fit may be a bit big on me I’m more concerned about the itchiness factor of the material. Always prosaic. ;)

I can relate to both sides of the aforementioned coin. For instance, I was recently vacationing and noticed a surfeit of mostly young women (16-21 ish) in the now ubiquitous large boyfriend jeans and tighter tops. The young men adopted their usual casual get up which is not as on trend but more the comfortable yet somewhat fitted ensemble that seems to be a platitude in male youth.

The earlier point of fitting into size 44 relates to me. Karl Lagerfeld epitomized it when he said that his one goal in life was to fit into size 28 jeans ha! His other point was about he was upset that he could not wear a 44 Dior jacket because his shoulders were too broad.

That said I consider myself very open minded similar to many here in terms of taste and culture however maybe it’s a cognitive bias but I have not seen a large fit that looks good to me yet at least on the admittedly myopic set of threads I canvas. Does anyone have a fit pic from TDK or TKP? I tried a while back from the summer capsule and it was a lesson in humility and perhaps abject horror.

BasicJB

Reaction score
"Adult" fashion shopping to me is about finding what works for you and what makes you feel good. Chasing trends is not something I'm into these days but I would still go after a trendy item if it creates harmony with what I want to achieve. For that reason, I like brands with a very specific POV because it makes it easier for me to shop and integrate with my wardrobe.

I ended up returning my recent TKP purchase because the quality is just not on par and I can't make excuses for it anymore (a persist issue I discovered from my previous purchases). Posted a fit pic with TDK baja sweater that I love a while back but I don't really have any other pieces on my radar. In general, I'm gravitating toward Celine's womenswear these days because it feels less try-hard and more casual classic compared to the mens offerings.

Interesting discussion above and a little more dynamic than the usual slim vs volume dialogue. Both sides raise great points.

I recently ordered the grey-green iconic sweater from TKP which looks more voluminous than my usual get-up. I thought the color looked intriguing and while the fit may be a bit big on me I’m more concerned about the itchiness factor of the material. Always prosaic. ;)

I can relate to both sides of the aforementioned coin. For instance, I was recently vacationing and noticed a surfeit of mostly young women (16-21 ish) in the now ubiquitous large boyfriend jeans and tighter tops. The young men adopted their usual casual get up which is not as on trend but more the comfortable yet somewhat fitted ensemble that seems to be a platitude in male youth.

The earlier point of fitting into size 44 relates to me. Karl Lagerfeld epitomized it when he said that his one goal in life was to fit into size 28 jeans ha! His other point was about he was upset that he could not wear a 44 Dior jacket because his shoulders were too broad.

That said I consider myself very open minded similar to many here in terms of taste and culture however maybe it’s a cognitive bias but I have not seen a large fit that looks good to me yet at least on the admittedly myopic set of threads I canvas. Does anyone have a fit pic from TDK or TKP? I tried a while back from the summer capsule and it was a lesson in humility and perhaps abject horror.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I'm not arguing for the superiority of slim over oversized in terms of clothing aesthetic. It seems weird to me to advocate one over the other when it's so obviously a matter of personal preference. What I took issue with was the idea that I should wear oversized clothes because it's become fashionable, overriding my inclinations to the contrary. I wasn't going to say anything, but the line "let go. grow" was so dumb and condescending I had to take him down a couple notches.

Anyway, I'm done owning him for the time being. The vibes in the thread have been really greatly, with that twenty something getting into HS and the kitten picture, that I want to sort of try to keep the small timers out so we can interact without unnecessary distractions.

pockets

Reaction score
nah, it's not that complicated, I simply dress the way I like, for myself. Why do you care if its boring? It's always the people who won't post fits tryina tell people how to dress.

guess youre right. you do dress well (not being sarcastic).

Not gonna lie, I like the occasional chaos and oversized/skinny debate in this thread.

I don't think anyone needs to develop past "SL ideals", assuming you mean Hedi Saint Laurent. Most of what Hedi presented was already done decades earlier. It's not something you're ever going to go wrong with in "the real world", unless you're looking specifically at trends and what's hot online.

Hedi has done oversized knitwear and outerwear right of the bat in FW13, that's nothing new. Saint Laurent and Hedi fans were very familiar with it before TDK and TKP at Celine.

I agree that new fashion can be an inspiration, I'm just not inspired. At all.

which is cool. to say hedi is groundbreaking is a stretch, but what he does do well is styling, when he offers up interesting takes on references we’re familiar with, evolving what we pair. im not saying throw all your **** away and wear all dingyun zhang and rick owens.

he’s done big sweaters before. but has he pursued this amount of play with layering while crossing rural outdoor french references with goth romanticism and e-boys in the frame of a squire’s role?

its fine if you dont like it, that’s taste, but at least it seems, you were open and considerate.

you understand what i was trying to get at overall. we likely have taken similar pitstops in how we dress.

"Adult" fashion shopping to me is about finding what works for you and what makes you feel good. Chasing trends is not something I'm into these days but I would still go after a trendy item if it creates harmony with what I want to achieve. For that reason, I like brands with a very specific POV because it makes it easier for me to shop and integrate with my wardrobe.

I ended up returning my recent TKP purchase because the quality is just not on par and I can't make excuses for it anymore (a persist issue I discovered from my previous purchases). Posted a fit pic with TDK baja sweater that I love a while back but I don't really have any other pieces on my radar. In general, I'm gravitating toward Celine's womenswear these days because it feels less try-hard and more casual classic compared to the mens offerings.

youre right. its understandable with youre approach to trend that youd gravitate toward the feel of the women’s collection. as youve noticed last women’s show was les grands classiques. mens has been far more novel. and like you, im open and dig novelty, here and there.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing for the superiority of slim over oversized in terms of clothing aesthetic. It seems weird to me to advocate one over the other when it's so obviously a matter of personal preference. What I took issue with was the idea that I should wear oversized clothes because it's become fashionable, overriding my inclinations to the contrary. I wasn't going to say anything, but the line "let go. grow" was so dumb and condescending I had to take him down a couple notches.

Anyway, I'm done owning him for the time being. The vibes in the thread have been really greatly, with that twenty something getting into HS and the kitten picture, that I want to sort of try to keep the small timers out so we can interact without unnecessary distractions.

seems condescending, meant to be more encouraging. ill take that. dumb too.

here i am down, lower in notches, owned and humbled.

ASAPRice

Reaction score
he’s done big sweaters before. but has he pursued this amount of play with layering while crossing rural outdoor french references with goth romanticism and e-boys in the frame of a squire’s role?
of course he hasn't, but just because he's trying something new doesn't mean it's good. While there are certainly elements of the newer collections I enjoy, the overall vision that hedi is pursuing seems unrefined and frankly, elementary, and all over the place. That's not to say I don't believe Hedi can still make great designs, rather, he just missed the mark and is trying to do too much at once.

I don't believe it's possible for anybody to create a collection inspired by both "rural outdoor french" and "e-boy goth romanticism" references and not look tacky. Clothes look good in the context they are being worn in, yet the people who live in those respective atmosphere's would most likely not mesh well in real life, and by extension, a collection of clothes inspired by both sides requires an inordinate amount of balancing that I can't see being executed in a good manner.

I mean, hell, my personal style is based on Texas/cowboys (born n raised in Texas), rockstars of the 60s-80s (my favorite genre of music and the only genre that really speaks to my soul), and not standing out too much (I'm not a rockstar or a cowboy, just a dude living life, not tryina roleplay through clothing) and it's taken me years to get to a point where I'm really happy with how I dress. But it's still not perfect. To think Hedi could make a cohesive, wearable collection in one season seems impossible.

pockets

Reaction score
of course he hasn't, but just because he's trying something new doesn't mean it's good. While there are certainly elements of the newer collections I enjoy, the overall vision that hedi is pursuing seems unrefined and frankly, elementary, and all over the place. That's not to say I don't believe Hedi can still make great designs, rather, he just missed the mark and is trying to do too much at once.

I don't believe it's possible for anybody to create a collection inspired by both "rural outdoor french" and "e-boy goth romanticism" references and not look tacky. Clothes look good in the context they are being worn in, yet the people who live in those respective atmosphere's would most likely not mesh well in real life, and by extension, a collection of clothes inspired by both sides requires an inordinate amount of balancing that I can't see being executed in a good manner.

I mean, hell, my personal style is based on Texas/cowboys (born n raised in Texas), rockstars of the 60s-80s (my favorite genre of music and the only genre that really speaks to my soul), and not standing out too much (I'm not a rockstar or a cowboy, just a dude living life, not tryina roleplay through clothing) and it's taken me years to get to a point where I'm really happy with how I dress. But it's still not perfect. To think Hedi could make a cohesive, wearable collection in one season seems impossible.

i think your read is valid, and thanks for explaining your influences.

if i were to take teen knight poem in solely by complete looks itd be a difficult swallow. to the read, elements are where i agree with you, some i like, some i dont. some elements, id argue are deliberately unrefined and meant to be mashed. but the bit that i think is worth mentioning is that hedi’s time at celine is emphasizing what is french. yeah english, californian, and berlin references are sprinkled in, but one thing that is consistent between all collections, is he’s putting it out through a decidedly french slant.

i think teen knight poem actually has a few different characters in it, but what spoke to me is that i ******* i love grunge (maybe why im in defense of oversized sweaters, and am in complete disbelief when someone hates cardigans) and that vibe is soaked throughout. so to me, taking grunge and juxtaposing it with how one would look at the french renaissance, i havent done that consciously. its a good thought. like riding a horse clad in thrashed denim, mohair knits like gothic robes, studded leather like medieval armor, prancing around chateau grounds, jams by sonic youth? sounds dope to me.

northern californian, repeatedly bounce to the far ends of minimalist and maximalist sensibilities. my influences are admittedly varied. the beautiful diversity of the city and nature, 70s punk and reggae, farmers markets, and any hip hop about selling cocaine. but maybe thats why i like **** like teen knight poem, theyre references that are hard to reconcile. i feel you about not cosplaying a role, i pride myself with just being a dude too.

Last edited:

SaintLaurent

Reaction score
in regard to shifting of silhouettes, i think its hard for people to snap out of the whole skinny mindset, but its worth it imo.

teen knight poem is another example of rebalancing proportions and having a little fun with volume. the pants can stay skinny but the layering and the cuts of the jackets add a coziness and a vibe shift that i believe is needed. tbh i see dudes who havent developed past SL ideals and you look mad uncomfortable.

size up on a cardigan.

loosen up.

get a jacket a little bigger.

for example im of the era of sagging and stacking diors, but that changed, didnt it?

new fashion isnt a threat to your wardrobe, its inspiration to build off of it.

shifts in self image are healthy.

let go. grow.
Or just wear what you like.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But then SaintLaurent, what would we have to debate!?

In all seriousness, at the end of the day, I'm sure everyone here wears what he wants in the sense that we're fairly strong willed people and cognizant of fashion, so maybe will take cues from others and promote some friendly gassing (gear acquisition syndrome), but each has a certain vibe with some familiar commonalities.

Randeep

Reaction score
The last couple of pages were an enjoyable read :) Keeping it topical - here's a fit pic with the FW20 suede jacket from the weekend. It (and my other jackets) are beginning to drape a little better with the slow but steady body recomposition -- even managed to squeeze into a pair of SL jeans again (taking the term 'low-waisted' a bit too literally).

97A7FEA5-A3C9-4B55-AE0C-D189CEE0562E.JPG

Randeep

Reaction score
About the eagle cuff looking jewellery that got mentioned couple of pages back - agree it looks nice, but the piece of jewellery I'm really looking forward to and no doubt won't get produced is the necklace with the beautiful little fleur-de-lys pendant on the end (think it's the same as the earrings). I feel it's got the same level of gravitas as the well executed feather necklace from SS15 which I wear all the time.

Udo

Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to me last week.

I was trying – not sure why it's so hard – to get a pair of the 40 mm Camargue in black leather as they're on sale in France. First (and only) pair they had available had the sole chipped in two different places so I didn't want them (obviously). They had a different pair transferred from another parisian store: this time the leather on the upper part was all scratched... So now they're on the process of trying to have a pair transferred from London (probably not gonna happen if only because of Brexit and taxes and what not, can't be worth it for them but we'll see).

Unbelievable quality control.

It seems to me the quality control issue is part of a bigger organizational problem at Celine.

I recently ordered last seasons python Jacno since my size was still available. After a couple of days of silence I got an email informing me that the boot is not available anymore. Last thursday I got a shipping notice for the boots all of a sudden, so I was very happy and excited to get them after all. When I opened the box I realized that they had sent me the python Camargue instead of the Jacno.

At least they were the correct size, so they are not complete amateurs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads