• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was honestly hoping for the balmacaan houndstooth to be more muted. It looks like it would get to much attention for me. What do you all think? I might go with the grey one instead.

I'm on the same boat. Might go with the grey but waiting for @Burzan fit pics :cheers:

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok ok you got us there in terms of pickyness hehe.

Styfo and userbase is awesome, but I'm not on board with this Balmacaan.

Why did everyone want this? It looks like a shapeless sack of cloth. It's why I keep pushing for a belt to add some shape.

Even the one poster mentioned how it looks great with a couple of buttons undone.

Well, to me, having to undo a bunch of buttons on a winter coat defeats the purpose of a winter coat.

Shapeless, flowy, heavy cape-like sack of cloth is what makes the balmacaan so cool.

See Crompton’s here: https://www.permanentstyle.com/2019/10/introducing-the-donegal-overcoat.html

Or this one from SEH Kelly:

Those don’t look cool to you?

It’s like saying why does anyone buy a Barbour Beaufort or Bedale if it’s basically just a sweaty waxed cotton sack. It’s a different silhouette that I think has its place in a wardrobe. It’s also, I think, true to it’s utilitarian country roots. There are plenty of other non-raglan sleeved coats that will give you a shapely silhouette.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shapeless, flowy, heavy cape-like sack of cloth is what makes the balmacaan so cool.

See Crompton’s here: https://www.permanentstyle.com/2019/10/introducing-the-donegal-overcoat.html

Or this one from SEH Kelly:

Those don’t look cool to you?

It’s like saying why does anyone buy a Barbour Beaufort or Bedale if it’s basically just a sweaty waxed cotton sack. It’s a different silhouette that I think has its place in a wardrobe. It’s also, I think, true to it’s utilitarian country roots. There are plenty of other non-raglan sleeved coats that will give you a shapely silhouette.
While you're on it, yes I really do agree that most Barbour jackets are sweaty, stinky waxed cotton sacks, would never buy one.

Neither of those look appealing to me.

To prove my point, not even Simon had a full length body shot of the coat buttoned up, almost all of them were him parading around with the coat fully open. Doesn't seem very utilitarian to me if that's the intent.

A single breasted top coat accomplishes the same thing without looking dumpy.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those complaining about the Balamacaan looking like a potato sack, guess what: it's supposed to be baggy. It's not a sartorial tailored piece. It was never meant to be. It's something meant to be roomy, drapey, and easy to slip on and off for casual settings.

If it's not your cup of tea - okay - just stop whining about it. It's been two pages of whining already.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just received the medium brown Moon tweed. Any comments about the fit are appreciated.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those complaining about the Balamacaan looking like a potato sack, guess what: it's supposed to be baggy. It's not a sartorial tailored piece. It was never meant to be. It's something meant to be roomy, drapey, and easy to slip on and off for casual settings.

If it's not your cup of tea - okay - just stop whining about it. It's been two pages of whining already.
This. I don’t love everything S&M puts out but I am capable of understanding why others would feel differently. Example: I don’t like double monk shoes but I do get why others might like them. I don’t post about how S&M needs to “fix” them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads