• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Question for you all- My shoulders are 18.5 and chest is 40. Will the shoulders be too narrow on the 40 jacket? I have a feeling the 42 will definitely be too big in the chest and upper waist...

Depends on where/how you measure your shoulder? Are you measuring from the outer edge of your shoulder or shoulder bone to shoulder bone?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bummer about the madras, but I'm sure you have enough going on.

I was a 16 in your old OCBD sizing, which I think translates to a 16/34, correct?

I was looking to restock in light blue, white, and pink striped in contemporary.

I ordered the first wave of OCBDs a few years ago and the elbow finally blew out on my trusty blue shirt. Looking forward to seeing one of the new batch.

smsuits

Reaction score
Welcome my new favorite jacket (well I think that will change in a few weeks by the looks of the previews...). Can’t believe this was still around in my size with the sale pricing. The slubs seem like they got slept on hard.

Quick and dirty pic out of the box.
View attachment 955304

Damn you with the slub photos, Burzan, you're killing me cause there's no more in a 38 slim. I kept hoping for returns to pop up but realized they're final sale...

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not as strong as a seller as we liked unfortunately.

1-2 patterns, bleeding madras SS19? :nest:

Damn you with the slub photos, Burzan, you're killing me cause there's no more in a 38 slim. I kept hoping for returns to pop up but realized they're final sale...

Get a 38 contemporary if they have it. They made up slightly slim so the contemporary fits a lot like my other slim jackets.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
@spiermackay

How feasible an idea would it be to have something similar to a GMTO program where if something garners enough interest (say 10-15 people), it could be done as a special order?

Would it make sense from a business perspective, or on the contrary?

I ask because it might be a way of avoiding a situation where you you commit to a full production run for a "special" item, only to have it sit on the shelves if it turns out not to be a big seller?

I know this is frequently done among shoe sellers - Skoaktiebolaget, for instance - so I am curious to hear your thoughts.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone post pictures of the Classic Full Spread collar and the Extreme Spread for comparison? I’m thinking of ordering some custom shirts and wanted to see the difference. Thanks!

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay

How feasible an idea would it be to have something similar to a GMTO program where if something garners enough interest (say 10-15 people), it could be done as a special order?

Would it make sense from a business perspective, or on the contrary?

I ask because it might be a way of avoiding a situation where you you commit to a full production run for a "special" item, only to have it sit on the shelves if it turns out not to be a big seller?

I know this is frequently done among shoe sellers - Skoaktiebolaget, for instance - so I am curious to hear your thoughts.

I like this idea. Might be a way to get some scale and get us some of the less mainstream items like higher rise trousers, specialty fabric sportcoats, and possibly safari jackets. The armoury just re-released the later and their sizing doesn't come close to working for me.

https://thearmoury.com/products/pre-order-50-deposit-ascot-chang-x-the-armoury-linen-safari-jacket

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey old news on the washed denim shirts, but fyi:
I just bleached a mid-wash denim shirt (from propercloth) successfully and wrote a post about how I did it on my blog (link in signature). In case any of you were on the fence about the washed denim shirts SM is selling because you were looking for a slightly lighter wash.
the process isn't scary at all (well it is, but it is easy to get it right).
This is great news for me!

I impulse bought the stock light wash denim shirt from S&M in case it might have sold out.

Then realized S&M did indeed have MTM denim so I bought the same shirt in a custom collar.

Now I can bleach the first one and finally have the 3 different shades of denim shirts I needed in my closet.

Thank you for posting this.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought my first S&M suit. I'll share my thoughts for those wanting more insight into my experience and my assessment of the product. For what it's worth, I've been following S&M since their early days on SF and own several trousers and about a dozen shirts from them.

I ordered and received the suit within 5 business days. I live in Boston. Beforehand, I called their CS phone number to see if they could give me a different size on the trousers (solely based on measurements), and they confirmed they could. I went with the basic navy, though charcoal was tempting; I wanted something that I could wear with medium brown shoes as well.

I have to say the suit itself is an unbelievable value for the product you are receiving. I have handled many SuitSupply suits and I feel this is on par if not better in quality, and the styling is more classic and conservative (more length, unexaggerated lapels, lower buttoning point). The fabric is a worsted 100% S110 navy wool, and feels like it can take a beating. I am 6 feet tall and a little heavier than usual at 190 lb., and I went with a size 44 contemporary suit with 35 contemporary trousers. I am normally a 42R and 34 in mall brand stuff. Besides hemming the inseam and shortening the back of the neck to fix a roll, it fits me as below, which I think is pretty great.

IMG_3918.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads