• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just bought my first S&M suit. I'll share my thoughts for those wanting more insight into my experience and my assessment of the product. For what it's worth, I've been following S&M since their early days on SF and own several trousers and about a dozen shirts from them.

I ordered and received the suit within 5 business days. I live in Boston. Beforehand, I called their CS phone number to see if they could give me a different size on the trousers (solely based on measurements), and they confirmed they could. I went with the basic navy, though charcoal was tempting; I wanted something that I could wear with medium brown shoes as well.

I have to say the suit itself is an unbelievable value for the product you are receiving. I have handled many SuitSupply suits and I feel this is on par if not better in quality, and the styling is more classic and conservative (more length, unexaggerated lapels, lower buttoning point). The fabric is a worsted 100% S110 navy wool, and feels like it can take a beating. I am 6 feet tall and a little heavier than usual at 190 lb., and I went with a size 44 contemporary suit with 35 contemporary trousers. I am normally a 42R and 34 in mall brand stuff. Besides hemming the inseam and shortening the back of the neck to fix a roll, it fits me as below, which I think is pretty great.

View attachment 955851
Looks very very nice! Would love to see some nicer pics hehe. Which suit is that?

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Darkside your suit fits very good, at leadt to my untrained eye! Thanks for sharing!

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pondering whether I should get a Heather Light Grey suit or just hold off and wait for the next suit drop. On the one hand, the Heather Light Grey is an SM staple, so it'll come back... eventually if my size sells out. But on the other hand, the sun's coming soon, so I'd like a lighter suit for the weddings and such (since I missed out on Heather Blue).

But I'm also keen on checking out the new Neapolitans. Wondering if I should wait or go for it. I'm only getting two suits this season, and the two in the initial drop I really wanted are out of my size, so I'm pondering maybe I grab this light grey and one Neapolitan, or if I should wait on the drop and see if there's two suits that I should go for in the drop.

@spiermackay would the Heather Grey suit be suitable for warm weather? I'll need a good summer suit for a tradeshow in Atlanta and a few weddings in the summer. Will there be a wool/linen suit coming in the next drop?

Last edited:

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay also Rick, for the new pre-order polos, I'm thinking about getting a couple (never worn a polo shirt in my life, haha). What would be the equivalent size be for 44 C suit and 16.5 C dress shirts? The sweaters I have are XL, so I'm assuming XL is the size I should order?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay also Rick, for the new pre-order polos, I'm thinking about getting a couple (never worn a polo shirt in my life, haha). What would be the equivalent size be for 44 C suit and 16.5 C dress shirts? The sweaters I have are XL, so I'm assuming XL is the size I should order?

XL if you want a slim polo, size up if you want a more regular fit.

Nemesis_4

Reaction score
Are there any current codes running? I think I missed out on the "SPRING15" code.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need a quick opinion on this:

I want to get a vest made for a suit I bought last year. SM sent me a swatch for the current charcoal fabric that they have. I've attached an image of the swatch next to my suit in daylight. Now it's not the same run of fabric, but think this okay to have a vest made out of? To my eyes, it looks pretty dead-on, but I have a tendency to have blinders on
20180410_184159.jpg

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Looks pretty dead on. I can’t see a difference looking for one, which means I doubt anyone else will.

tnjed

Reaction score
Hey old news on the washed denim shirts, but fyi:
I just bleached a mid-wash denim shirt (from propercloth) successfully and wrote a post about how I did it on my blog (link in signature). In case any of you were on the fence about the washed denim shirts SM is selling because you were looking for a slightly lighter wash.
the process isn't scary at all (well it is, but it is easy to get it right).

I would assume that the S&M Light Wash was still darker than your PC Mid-Wash? At least based on what I have seen in photographs that would appear to be true. I read your post and am intrigued if I should give this a go.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone gets the button down polo shirt, please share picks. I’m very curious what the collar would look like on someone. The spread looks wider than on their OCBDs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads