• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A12321

Reaction score
Does anyone recall if SM puts out a warmer weathered focus basic light grey POW sport coat? Im looking for something in that pattern to wear spring through fall perhaps. Basically a business alternative to the navy blue blazer.

If not that a lighter solid like pattern/solid option. I have one but it is very thin and a delicate silk cashmere blend so I do not with to beat on it.
Hopefully. I'm looking for a non-flannel POW suit to wear rear round.

rdaws

Reaction score
If you were expecting this stuff to arrive this past week and got 4 pair of trousers instead lmk and we can trade

113F559B-5959-4F89-BFC6-141136E17835.jpeg

stro

Reaction score
They are late. First bit of tailoring has been their entry level Filarte suits. Everything else seems to be t-shirts and polos. That doesn't seem too promising to me.
there's a minnis fresco buried in between all the **** i don't care about on the spring previews. looks great, i'm buying day one. more importantly......... it's got the fabric weight. spier and mackay is back baby!!!!!

edit: wt* i can't say that on this website?? what the christ do you think children are on here studying fabric fire tests and exactly how tightly a watch can squeeze a guy's wrist without constituting a tourniquet???

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Custom Shirts - Cuff Measurement Method Changed

Previously, the factory applied the customer's cuff measurement as the length of the entire cuff piece where it meets the sleeve (which I found unusual, and I ended up with cuffs that were too small with my very first order). However, I adjusted my cuff measurement based on this method, and proceeded to order several shirts over multiple orders where the cuff measurement was applied this way.

To my surprise, on my most recent order, the factory applied the cuff measurement as the distance from the cuff button to it's button hole. While this is a more common and more sensible method, it resulted in cuffs that are much too big based on how I previously calibrated my cuff measurement.

I will move the cuff buttons to make these recent shirts work, however it is not ideal to have the excess cuff length and the shirt cuff won't close quite as nicely (there is quite a bit of excess - perhaps a full inch).

I sent an email to S&M to inform them and asked that they consider adding descriptions for measurement methods to the website and squaring up that info with the factory.

UPDATE: Reply from CS (kindof confusing)

Hi _______,

We apologize for any confusion in regards to the cuff measurements. Since September 2022 the factory has changed the cuff measurement from end to end, from buttonhole to button. All previous orders since 2022 have been translated to meet this new change.

I do see in 2021 when you had a cuff remake done, it would have changed to 8.75 which would reflect the button to button hole measurement. In your case, from that measurement, the cuff has ideally stayed the same minus any minor changes made on your order. This is something that has been reflected on the factory's end and please keep in mind, some cuffs or shirts may also be measured on the plus side of tolerances (+/-0.25") before washing.

Just to help deter any future confusion, do you happen to have your wrist measurement handy so I can make a note on your file for future custom shirt orders?

Jesus Christ - I don't want them to make some note in my account that overrides my specified measurement. I just want to enter my cuff measurement using a method that is clearly communicated to me, and have it be honored

Last edited:

VincentC

Reaction score
On the topic of cuff measurements...

I hope this isn't a hot-topic in here or anything, as I have been away for a bit! My favorite shirting always came from S&M, but I had to move away because the cuff closures are just too damn tight. I couldn't comfortably wear even a thin Timex watch with their shirts. Has anyone else had the same issue? If so, were there any alterations to the cuff openings in the past, say, 3 years or so?

I ADORE the shirts. I just can't deal with the uber-tight cuffs, and I have puny wrists.

tailored john

Reaction score
Hello all, does anyone in the group have experience with the needlecord shirt fabric. I am thinking about getting this for my next custom shirt. Mainly I am wary of the durability of the fabric. I wouldn't want it to start looking shabby or worn out after a few months of wear. Also, is it comfortable? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 8.56.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 8.56.24 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 115

JTrent82

Reaction score
Hello all, does anyone in the group have experience with the needlecord shirt fabric. I am thinking about getting this for my next custom shirt. Mainly I am wary of the durability of the fabric. I wouldn't want it to start looking shabby or worn out after a few months of wear. Also, is it comfortable? Thanks in advance.
I don't wear mine. It's plenty durable, and it feels alright when you put it on. But if you're not in a chilly outdoors situation it gets clammy real quick. I favor breathability in shirts and I leave the insulation and weather resistance to layers. Also I didn't love the stark white river shell buttons that came on the OTRs but if you're doing MTO maybe you can use horn if that's an option. I would say it would make a better overshirt but it's really not heavy enough for that. It's kind of amazing how much heat it traps to be as lightweight as it is tbh.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that the Filters for suits now include a "Relaxed" fit -- albeit no suits are found if you select it.

Has there been any official communication about a Relaxed fit coming?
Interesting. There's also a "Tailored" category filter. Makes me suspect they may be planning to rename both their jacket fits

milktoast

Reaction score
Any folks here have experience with the waxed jackets? Interested in one, though unsure about sizing and whether it’s worth it for the price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads