• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Overcoats are always sized to accommodate a jacket or thick sweater underneath, unlike a topcoat. But this year some of these are cut wider, and some items like regular overcoats seem slimmer, making a complete mess for people who thought they know their proper fit and size.
They have great clothes, but I really don't understand the weird thing with sizing that keeps changing. Just keep things the same and people will know if they have to size up or down.

MellonC

Reaction score
They have great clothes, but I really don't understand the weird thing with sizing that keeps changing. Just keep things the same and people will know if they have to size up or down.

during the summer I ended up buying about 4different pairs of casual khakis only to end up with none. Different shades khakis and different fits (slim, extra slim, my correct waist size,and minus one inch). All great fabric. But inconsistent sizing. For example, same waist size but one would be larger than the other in different color. Also leg openings were different with same size pants. Of course I could have returned but never really got around to it in my busyschedule.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oatmeal And A Lil Cream!

20211021_221934.jpg

20211021_222239.jpg

20211021_223636.jpg

Stylewords

Reaction score
during the summer I ended up buying about 4different pairs of casual khakis only to end up with none. Different shades khakis and different fits (slim, extra slim, my correct waist size,and minus one inch). All great fabric. But inconsistent sizing. For example, same waist size but one would be larger than the other in different color. Also leg openings were different with same size pants. Of course I could have returned but never really got around to it in my busyschedule.
Yes, I've had a lot of trouble with the chinos. Too much variation year by year and between reality and the size charts.

msanchez0125

Reaction score
I'm seeing some Cotton Shawl Collar Cardigans on the website, looks like the code is for Fall Winter 2021, but it wasn't in previewed in the "new arrivals" page. Odd. Wish there was a dark green...

Do you still see them>? I would snatch one up in a second if I saw one.

Jlee80

Reaction score
Yes, I've had a lot of trouble with the chinos. Too much variation year by year and between reality and the size charts.
I just ordered 3 suits...and all 3 have different sized sleeves...ranging from too big/wide to absolutely huge on one of the suits...to the point it almost feels a size too big!

For the experts...do you find slimming/tapering suit sleeves to be an easy alteration or should I cut my losses and return them.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
So excited to see the sack/Ivy jacket. It's not perfect--others have pointed out some (very) minor issues--but it's wonderful that it's happened. I hope it's a home run for Rick, and I hope it's available for MTO.

Shoeaffic

Reaction score
i'm looking for some help with sweater sizing from those of you with more experience, hoping you might be able to provide some guidance. I wear 40r contemporary sc and suits at SM (which fit me perfectly), and the one medium thin sweater I have ordered from the store fits almost too perfectly, that is, form fitting while still (very slightly) loose in some areas. But, I feel like if I gain some weight the perfect fit might disappear. Also, with several shirts underneath other than short sleeve t-shirts it gets a bit complicated.

I'm looking at the chunkier sweaters (cable, aran, lattice), and my question is this: what are the consequences of going to a larger size (L)? If my chest measures 39.9 inches, is a 42.5 sweater too big, or will it still work if it's chunky and stretchy and will look a little looser? And how close to the measurement are the sweaters really made? I'm 6'1 with relatively long limbs, and 175 pounds. I like the (slightly) oversized look of sweaters when they drape well (lay or fall flat), especially when I see them on others, but with these thin sweaters, I feel like if their a bit big they get all wavy (horrible drape) and not look flattering at all.

Please I'm begging for some guidance here!

Devis4u

Reaction score
i'm looking for some help with sweater sizing from those of you with more experience, hoping you might be able to provide some guidance. I wear 40r contemporary sc and suits at SM (which fit me perfectly), and the one medium thin sweater I have ordered from the store fits almost too perfectly, that is, form fitting while still (very slightly) loose in some areas. But, I feel like if I gain some weight the perfect fit might disappear. Also, with several shirts underneath other than short sleeve t-shirts it gets a bit complicated.

I'm looking at the chunkier sweaters (cable, aran, lattice), and my question is this: what are the consequences of going to a larger size (L)? If my chest measures 39.9 inches, is a 42.5 sweater too big, or will it still work if it's chunky and stretchy and will look a little looser? And how close to the measurement are the sweaters really made? I'm 6'1 with relatively long limbs, and 175 pounds. I like the (slightly) oversized look of sweaters when they drape well (lay or fall flat), especially when I see them on others, but with these thin sweaters, I feel like if their a bit big they get all wavy (horrible drape) and not look flattering at all.

Please I'm begging for some guidance here!
In my experience, it'll depend on your build, but I'm very similarly sized (6'0, 175lb, 40R) and the medium fits cable turtle necks from last year fit me really well overall. They have a good amount of stretch to them as well if you do end up gaining weight. They're pretty form fitting around the upper body for me with comfortable room in the waist without being too bulky. I would not size up to L personally for the thicker knit sweaters like the cable

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked before but did not get an answer. So the knit sweatshirts. Seems to be a middle ground between the crew neck merino sweaters and the sweatshirts.

What is the point of this knit sweatshirt? To look more polished than a typical sweatshirt? (I love sweatshirts) . Options? I like the look, just want to know simply why? what for?

1634917649345.png

Brennenman

Reaction score
I asked before but did not get an answer. So the knit sweatshirts. Seems to be a middle ground between the crew neck merino sweaters and the sweatshirts.

What is the point of this knit sweatshirt? To look more polished than a typical sweatshirt? (I love sweatshirts) . Options? I like the look, just want to know simply why? what for?

View attachment 1690229
It looks to me like that’s what it is, I’m assuming you wear something like that for a smart casual look rather then with a tie, but that’s just my opinion

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads