• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bacharini

Reaction score
i'm looking for some help with sweater sizing from those of you with more experience, hoping you might be able to provide some guidance. I wear 40r contemporary sc and suits at SM (which fit me perfectly), and the one medium thin sweater I have ordered from the store fits almost too perfectly, that is, form fitting while still (very slightly) loose in some areas. But, I feel like if I gain some weight the perfect fit might disappear. Also, with several shirts underneath other than short sleeve t-shirts it gets a bit complicated.

I'm looking at the chunkier sweaters (cable, aran, lattice), and my question is this: what are the consequences of going to a larger size (L)? If my chest measures 39.9 inches, is a 42.5 sweater too big, or will it still work if it's chunky and stretchy and will look a little looser? And how close to the measurement are the sweaters really made? I'm 6'1 with relatively long limbs, and 175 pounds. I like the (slightly) oversized look of sweaters when they drape well (lay or fall flat), especially when I see them on others, but with these thin sweaters, I feel like if their a bit big they get all wavy (horrible drape) and not look flattering at all.

Please I'm begging for some guidance here!
I also wear a 40r and wear large in all things spier. It blows my mind how someone could fit into a medium. So I guess it just depends on your build.

milktoast

Reaction score
I asked before but did not get an answer. So the knit sweatshirts. Seems to be a middle ground between the crew neck merino sweaters and the sweatshirts.

What is the point of this knit sweatshirt? To look more polished than a typical sweatshirt? (I love sweatshirts) . Options? I like the look, just want to know simply why? what for?

View attachment 1690229
I spent 5 minutes looking at these sweaters with the same questions. They’re nice, but I just don’t see what setting/event I’d wear one of these to.

ptfly

Reaction score
i'm looking for some help with sweater sizing from those of you with more experience, hoping you might be able to provide some guidance. I wear 40r contemporary sc and suits at SM (which fit me perfectly), and the one medium thin sweater I have ordered from the store fits almost too perfectly, that is, form fitting while still (very slightly) loose in some areas. But, I feel like if I gain some weight the perfect fit might disappear. Also, with several shirts underneath other than short sleeve t-shirts it gets a bit complicated.

I'm looking at the chunkier sweaters (cable, aran, lattice), and my question is this: what are the consequences of going to a larger size (L)? If my chest measures 39.9 inches, is a 42.5 sweater too big, or will it still work if it's chunky and stretchy and will look a little looser? And how close to the measurement are the sweaters really made? I'm 6'1 with relatively long limbs, and 175 pounds. I like the (slightly) oversized look of sweaters when they drape well (lay or fall flat), especially when I see them on others, but with these thin sweaters, I feel like if their a bit big they get all wavy (horrible drape) and not look flattering at all.

6'1" 167 pounds, 40R here. I ordered all medium thin cardigans first round 3 years ago and had to return for Larges. But in all of the chunky stitches in crew, card and Tneck I wear Mediums and there is plenty of room.

Last edited:

Devis4u

Reaction score
I also wear a 40r and wear large in all things spier. It blows my mind how someone could fit into a medium. So I guess it just depends on your build.
Haha I would Chalk it up to build. I do wear a large in the field jackets, but a large in the chunkier knits would be slightly too long in the body, as well as too baggy in the waist, medium is perfect for me

Bacharini

Reaction score
Haha I would Chalk it up to build. I do wear a large in the field jackets, but a large in the chunkier knits would be slightly too long in the body, as well as too baggy in the waist, medium is perfect for me
I should add, I prefer a classic fit as opposed to tight, in general, so that has to be factored in as well.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm About (42) Conmp The Same In Size, I Go with(aran) A Large In All Sweaters! I'm Looking Too Try (Med) In Sleeveless Sweater... :fistbump:

dogjaeja

Reaction score
The Chunky Cardigan, aka the shawl collar cardigan in 100% merino wool are back up!

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy chunky cardigan
I wear a size M for a 40" chest

DSC07742.jpg
DSC07719.jpg

msanchez0125

Reaction score
Cotton Shawl Collars are up.. $78 is an amazing deal. I prefer cotton for a sweater like this. They seem to run one size larger than the wool ones, which is strange. I just grabbed a large in navy.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40" chest, 42R jackets, broad/barrel chest - should I go w/ an M or an L in the cardigan?

Imperatores

Reaction score
I like the cotton crewnecks, but the size chart doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like they're quite a bit tighter/smaller than the wool sweaters. Wouldn't you want a bit more room in a cotton sweater, since they don't have as much natural stretch?

I asked before but did not get an answer. So the knit sweatshirts. Seems to be a middle ground between the crew neck merino sweaters and the sweatshirts.

What is the point of this knit sweatshirt? To look more polished than a typical sweatshirt? (I love sweatshirts) . Options? I like the look, just want to know simply why? what for?

View attachment 1690229

I'm not sure, but it's possible that the point is just to offer a more comfortable and luxurious sweatshirt. Not necessarily to make them more polished and appropriate for anything beyond how you would wear a sweatshirt normally. I would wear these like a regular sweatshirt, but they'll probably work a bit better for layering over a collared shirt.

Rassul-3D

Reaction score
Is there anybody here with pics of a burgundy sweater from the season? I just want to see some IRL photos for the color.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I like the cotton crewnecks, but the size chart doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like they're quite a bit tighter/smaller than the wool sweaters. Wouldn't you want a bit more room in a cotton sweater, since they don't have as much natural stretch?

Yeah, I'm having a hard time figuring out sizing. The XXL measurements for these are roughly the same as the XL measurements on some of the wool sweaters. Maybe they're sized smaller since cotton doesn't hold its shape as well over time as wool? And they're factoring in that it will get stretched out over time?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure, but it's possible that the point is just to offer a more comfortable and luxurious sweatshirt. Not necessarily to make them more polished and appropriate for anything beyond how you would wear a sweatshirt normally. I would wear these like a regular sweatshirt, but they'll probably work a bit better for layering over a collared shirt.

Fair enough. I would wear a sweatshirt on it's own and with a collared shirt as well. More preppy style.
Either way, I'm not complaining.

I just had a look at the new drops, yeah I don't understand the sizing on the cotton crewnecks either. But damn, they're dropping FIRE stuff.

I like the look of the cotton crewneck.

Edit - Spier needs to come back to the thread and explain things!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads