• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to get a Brown flannel MTO jacket.
Which one do you guys think looks better? And which most versatile?
Thanks
View attachment 1506776 View attachment 1506777

View attachment 1506778 View attachment 1506779

View attachment 1506781 View attachment 1506782
I really liked #3, was very tempted to get one made if I had the extra $ around. However, I believe it is a gray as the base and not a brown. If looking for a brown flannel and these are the 3 you’ve narrowed it down to, #1 is definitely a good looking earth brown tone

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Third one is actually less in your face windowpaned than the first one. Also looks more modern yet more reserved. Just seems a lot more exquisite than the rest.
Something about standard windowpanes I don't really like. It looks distracting, and not in a good way.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really liked #3, was very tempted to get one made if I had the extra $ around. However, I believe it is a gray as the base and not a brown. If looking for a brown flannel and these are the 3 you’ve narrowed it down to, #1 is definitely a good looking earth brown tone
This. At first glance I thought it was dark green, which was fine. But while deciding between these two in October, I also came to the conclusion that the darker area was in fact gray on #3.

Now, I should say that even if the base wasn't gray I'd still pick #1 over #3 because of the earthy tones and the orange. But if there wasn't any gray in #3 I probably would've commissioned both back in October because I like both eventhough i prefer one to the other.

Last edited:

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. At first glance I thought it was dark green, which was fine. But while deciding between these two in October, I also came to the conclusion that the darker area was in fact gray on #3.

Now, I should say that even if the base wasn't gray I'd still pick #1 over #3 because of the earthy tones and the orange. But if there wasn't any gray in #3 I probably would've commissioned both back in October because I like both eventhough i prefer one to the other.
I really don't think #1 has orange in it. It's just light brown/tan.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't think #1 has orange in it. It's just light brown/tan.
Yeah, it may be some shade of orange/brown/tan. I still find it more attractive than red, though. Especially on an earthy brown. Here's a closeup
720318-5213-3.jpg

mbb355

Reaction score
Something about standard windowpanes I don't really like. It looks distracting, and not in a good way.
I also dint like standard windowpane. I like the old-school looking windowpane, where the lines are more dotted than solid. One of the brown M&E MTO options is such a windowpane, and it looks great. More muted and classic.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By now Rick should realize why all of them end up in the final sale. The only windowpanes that are wearable are the vertical rectangle ones. But then they won't be as timeless as textured fabrics anyway.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I washed my long sleeve knit polo shirt and laid it flat to dry. There was minimal shrinkage. The collar and half chest shrank about 0.5”. The sleeves and length shrank little to none. 0.5” at most. I guess we need a third person to weigh in about their experience.

cold wash, laid flat to dry. The length is about the same. The waist circumference is smaller so the bottom rode up a bit.
B6B4FD37-80CA-45AD-8E8E-82BCB5F08B19.jpeg

brand new.
BC325B12-91CB-4FE8-B710-6B0CA666ED2C.jpeg

Last edited:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still looks like spiderman but better imo:

Attachments

• img_1606704288028.jpg
    img_1606704288028.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 96

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I washed my long sleeve knit polo shirt and laid it flat to dry. There was minimal shrinkage. The collar and half chest shrank about 0.5”. The sleeves and length shrank little to none. 0.5” at most. I guess we need a third person to weigh in about their experience.

cold wash, laid flat to dry. The length is about the same. The waist circumference is smaller so the bottom rode up a bit.
View attachment 1507194

brand new.
View attachment 1507195
I washed my chambray popover today, which I believe @tricky said also shrank a bunch for him, and I did so in a warm water wash and hang dry (this is due to being an inch over size chart length, Rick suggested it). My sleeves & neck shrank about 0.5”, length about 0.75”-1”, and half chest about 0.25”. There would be minimal shrinkage if I did a cold water wash/hang dry. Something must be up with your washer Tricky lol

Stylewords

Reaction score

View attachment 1507194

brand new.
View attachment 1507195
Fit looks good. Minimal shrinkage. I suspect that some people use a different definition of "cold wash" and "hang dry" when they claim excessive shrinkage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads