• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid to say they are the poplin is useless after one wash. Here's a quick photo I took this morning compared the blue fine twill and the "premium" poplin after going through the same cold perm press wash. Notice the length and sleeves are significantly shorter? Twill and oxford show minimal shrinkage.

View attachment 933430

Oh boy, this isn't good. I wonder why Spier's shirts require so much extra care? For over three decades I've been washing shirts in cold, warm, hot water or dry cleaned them without these issues.

lsu123

Reaction score
I thought I read on here about a month ago that S&M was going to begin producing OTR shirts in wrinkle resistant cotton. Has that happened yet and, if not, is there an estimated date when those shirts will be for sale?

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: shrinkage... I get mine laundered at a cheapie dry cleaner that I can't imagine is babying them and haven't noticed any shrinkage. Perhaps they're washing cold drying medium but I sort of doubt it, I pay less than $2/shirt. That doesn't mean other peoples shirts aren't shrinking, but it isn't universal. Perhaps a particular fabric run?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both laundered my own shirts and had the cleaners wash my shirts and have not had any terrible shrinkage. Rick notes something like 2% or 3% which is likely not noticeable if true.

I did have a chambray shirt get tossed in the dryer and it had noticeable shrinkage but not any of the poplins/twills/royal oxfords/or standard oxford cloth

exfalso

Reaction score
Rick notes something like 2% or 3% which is likely not noticeable if true.
With all due respect, 2-3% is super noticeable. For 34" sleeves, they are going to get 0.68-1.02 inches shorter.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, 2-3% is super noticeable. For 34" sleeves, they are going to get 0.68-1.02 inches shorter.

I've never noticed and I am a 34" sleeve with 15.5" neck. I have not tried the new sleeve and neck measurement shirts.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an article published to Styleforum Journal today. Of course I’m wearing lots of Spier & Mackay because my closet is dominated by it.

Check it out if you would like: https://journal.styleforum.net/casual-meets-classic-incorporating-casual-outerwear/

Rinsed denim and moleskin trousers.

8AC130D2-06CB-4790-917B-44C8B269CEA3.jpeg

mattdalton

Reaction score

jermyzy

Reaction score
I've experience shrinkage on a bunch of my S&M shirts. I've ended up increasing the measurements slightly on my MTM measurements. But as you guys have mentioned, some fabrics seem to shrink more than others.

MTLinStyle

Reaction score
I'm afraid to say they are the poplin is useless after one wash. Here's a quick photo I took this morning compared the blue fine twill and the "premium" poplin after going through the same cold perm press wash. Notice the length and sleeves are significantly shorter? Twill and oxford show minimal shrinkage.

View attachment 933430

These look like when my wife forgets and launders my shirts in hot water and then accidentally throws them in the dryer on high heat setting.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt