• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

LuisedPicked

Reaction score
Does anyone own a pair of JMM Union? Any pictures (any color)?

Would love to see what they look like in the wild

MHpN8CF.jpg

18bb8Og.jpg

i4Rl3bv.jpg

eG6o2G3.jpg

CfFzZfH.jpg

1qYe03C.jpg

IH0ssFo.jpg

Meh42rc.jpg

gKEMNiZ.jpg

HXFWjiT.jpg

YiRgPuM.jpg

DQNK0Bd.jpg

Lhlx3as.jpg

VFwibyY.jpg

o1u4gtg.jpg

3Zr60GY.jpg

P4apqfo.jpg

lAkRD0V.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Tangerine colourway on the Union. It looks something between Vermillion and Stingray: do we need all these flashy, cheap looking colourways?

View attachment 2199609
Well it’s all about opinions but as an owner of both vermillion and stingray … yeah they may be a bit “flashy” but I don’t think that equals necessarily “cheap looking”. Sometimes “flashy” can be good in a sea of black and brown tort releases. Plus - as I always say in terms of our clothes and accessories etc - context is everything. I have a ton of colourful clothes (and shades!) that are fine for the sub tropical Florida environment but I’m aware would look severely out of place in southern Germany … or even rainy old England where I am right now!

penkala

Reaction score
3 oxidation mentions (on new pairs!) in the last few hours on FB chat.
-
ps. I just got DHL delivery for my new pair with exposed wire. Now I'm bummed to open it lol. Or to diss exposed-wire frames alltogether. How hard is it to put acetate over the arms to stop this from happening. Jerome's ego will sink this brand (maybe for the better)

IMG_8601.jpg
IMG_8603.jpg
IMG_8602.jpg

D32169

Reaction score
Is the ash colorway a dark one that only shows in the bright sun or one that is stunning indoors or on a cloudy day?

Pakman161

Reaction score
@penkala I am more befuddled with the continued purchases of the same people complaining about the issues. The only way change happens is by demonstrating with your purchasing power. If you don't like it, return it and move on. Personally, I see these folks complain and complain only to see them continuing to go back to the well for more.

I think Jerome said his frames are made on the "Lexus line" compared to his other competitors (image below of his competitors using same manufacturer). Anything done with some level of "extra work" is going to net some imperfections because it involves more hands in the process. Whether you see some waviness in the acetate because the polish and sanding work was imperfect, or the lamination process was incomplete because the acetate is way too thick for the machine to handle. As such, any smart manufacturer or contractor doing the work will bake in a tolerance threshold of acceptance to where JMM has to accept the product and purchase them, or it's a breach of an agreed upon contract. There's always more to running a business and "keeping the peace" with the atelier doing the work of producing the spectacles to your specifications. I don't think JMM has diversified their manufacturer of the spectacles with multiple ateliers. It all comes from Taka Rock if I recall correctly. The list below has other optical shops using the same manufacturer. These folks probably don't have the standards Jerome is requesting, hence the "lexus line". You can tell too, when you hold a Salt, or Barton Perreira frame. They don't have the same heft, or attention to detail the JMM frames have. They dont have the same awe effect when you pick them up with your hands for the first time and say "wow" in your head. I have never felt that way with Salt or Barton Perreira. They just felt about the same as Oliver Peoples.

Not throwing any shade to the complainers, but merely playing devil's advocate.
1718374862532.png

penkala

Reaction score
@penkala I am more befuddled with the continued purchases of the same people complaining about the issues. The only way change happens is by demonstrating with your purchasing power. If you don't like it, return it and move on. Personally, I see these folks complain and complain only to see them continuing to go back to the well for more.

I think Jerome said his frames are made on the "Lexus line" compared to his other competitors (image below of his competitors using same manufacturer). Anything done with some level of "extra work" is going to net some imperfections because it involves more hands in the process. Whether you see some waviness in the acetate because the polish and sanding work was imperfect, or the lamination process was incomplete because the acetate is way too thick for the machine to handle. As such, any smart manufacturer or contractor doing the work will bake in a tolerance threshold of acceptance to where JMM has to accept the product and purchase them, or it's a breach of an agreed upon contract. There's always more to running a business and "keeping the peace" with the atelier doing the work of producing the spectacles to your specifications. I don't think JMM has diversified their manufacturer of the spectacles with multiple ateliers. It all comes from Taka Rock if I recall correctly. The list below has other optical shops using the same manufacturer. These folks probably don't have the standards Jerome is requesting, hence the "lexus line". You can tell too, when you hold a Salt, or Barton Perreira frame. They don't have the same heft, or attention to detail the JMM frames have. They dont have the same awe effect when you pick them up with your hands for the first time and say "wow" in your head. I have never felt that way with Salt or Barton Perreira. They just felt about the same as Oliver Peoples.

View attachment 2200223

You can return them when brand new, but if **** happens 1 year after purchase kinda sucks right? Also, they accept returns only from the US as someone mentioned. So, these are just for a one night show at your local club or something that was meant to be passed on to other generations (Jerome's words, not mine).

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1718377241168.png

JMM is definitely capable of covering the hinges. Unfortunately they only seem to do this for their more expensive frames.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: Pricing.

I'll continue buying JMM because they're easy to find. Most high end optical shops will take on face photos for me and compare them to models I already own.

Also not everyone upcharges old frames. My local shop and other online ones are sub $1000.

Older models that have runs in 400-500 units are often cheaper and randomly pop up in shops too.

LuisedPicked

Reaction score

View attachment 2200223

I have 3 pairs of Barton Perreira... when you hold them in your hand, they seem really cheap, you wouldn't give them two dollars.

The only brand that can come close to JMM in acetate is Akoni. However, I find that Leisure Society's acetate/titanium blends are far superior to JMM... and by the way, they are truly exclusive, unlike JMM which has now become a very popular brand.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smooth bernie