• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lax101

Reaction score
I'm normally a 38 in SM suits but sized up to a 40 in the same coat you're talking about. I'm glad I did, 38 would not have worked if I were to wear a suit jacket/blazer/thicker sweater underneath.

I'd recommend the 46.
By sizing up, did the topcoat seem at all too boxy?

ninzer33

Reaction score
By sizing up, did the topcoat seem at all too boxy?
No not at all. It still conforms to my body quite nicely and with no alterations it still looks great. My sleeves could be shortened just a touch but I may do that over the summer when I can't wear it anymore.

Anyone looking for a topcoat should size up from their SM suit size.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sized up on the top coat but ended up going back to my suit size. I found the sleeves way too long on the upsize. YMMV

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like some new oxford shirts have been added to the site for those of you wanting them.

Still not what I'm looking for....I need poplin. Ugh, I don't want to have to try The Tie Bar's shirts, but I might have to as I need to order something in the next week.

theh00d

Reaction score
Does anyone have both the light and mid-wash denim shirt?
I think we've only seen light washed pics in natural light?

Want to see the comparison.
Thanks!

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like some new oxford shirts have been added to the site for those of you wanting them.

Still not what I'm looking for....I need poplin. Ugh, I don't want to have to try The Tie Bar's shirts, but I might have to as I need to order something in the next week.
Patience, mi amigo, it will be rewarded by S&M but you already know that. ;)

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's plenty of poplin, including some very good-looking blue bengal stripes and solid whites.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/shop/apparel/dress-shirts.html?shirt_fabrics=407&dir=desc
Didn't see those, but I guess I should've been more specific in that I need a pale/light blue and a navy gingham. I do want probably a medium wash denim as well.

I guess all these new shirts are being released slowly, a little at a time.

Also, S&M REALLY needs to get their developer to fix their refining parameters as it misses selections that should be there all the time.

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't see those, but I guess I should've been more specific in that I need a pale/light blue and a navy gingham. I do want probably a medium wash denim as well.

I guess all these new shirts are being released slowly, a little at a time.

Also, S&M REALLY needs to get their developer to fix their refining parameters as it misses selections that should be there all the time.

What I miss most is periodic updates here on the forum from Rick and/or his crew.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any one knows if the new oxford is still brushed? some say brushed but some colors don't.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I miss most is periodic updates here on the forum from Rick and/or his crew.
Agreed. I know Rick was traveling and I'm sure he was busy with work stuff, and then he was sick, but still this thread is the sole reason I buy and bought from S&M to begin with. Interacting with us, answering questions, providing updates for product launches, and providing more specific product info is what makes me continuously check this thread.

I'm eagerly (read stressfully) anticipating the SS18 suit and sportcoat releases as well as I have to find some blue suits soon for my groomsmen (and I want that teased linen check sportcoat for myself).

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any one knows if the new oxford is still brushed? some say brushed but some colors don't.
Another thing that needs to be cleaned up is the product information section as that isn't consistent among the offerings.

Don't get me wrong, I like the site, but it still needs a lot of polishing to get it up to e-commerce standards.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Rick has spoiled us all with his daily replies.
You guys need to remember there is more to owning and running a business then hourly updates on SF. Give him a little rope.

SS is right around the corner. Patience young grasshopper.

Besides he was helping me in person today on a new MTM. ;)

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
@shabbytraddy IIRC Neapolitan cut suits will have side tabs going forward.
This is my favorite news yet! Where was this confirmed? I'm super pumped! Saving up for solid Navy Neopolitan but will 100% wait to get with side tabs! Neopolitan cut is my favorite of their styles and between 3-roll-2 buttoning and the negative belly that fans out to 4+ inch notch lapel...perfection!! Side tabs on trousers just ups it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads