1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Shibumi Firenze bringing us classic accessories and bespoke tailoring from Florence, and owned long time member "Bradford", and Jonathan Abel who bring us their Goodyear welted shoes made in Portugal.

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. jtorres94

jtorres94 Senior Member

Theyve certainly been slower lately. Still waiting on an email back to get my last mtm shirts completed.

2. konix

konix Senior Member

The factory is in China and is closed for most of February for Chinese New Year so if they haven’t been made I wouldn’t expect them anytime soon.

3. OrdinarilyDapper

OrdinarilyDapper Senior Member

I know upon first glance they look a touch on short side but they actually exactly 50% of total length. My torso is quite a bit more broad and longer than my legs and I'm 6'2. Two things to note though, as some of you pointed out:
    1. Yes, these jeans are my casual jeans and a low/short rise (just happened to be wearing when packages came lol)
    2. The suit trousers are a touch lower than my usual 35 Contemporary Fit as being a 42 Contemporary minus 6 drop gave me 36 Contemporary Trousers which were falling down a lot as I just opened and haven't tailored. Should have worn a belt lol

It's funny because I'm little envious of those whose jackets cover their seat and look proportional to trouser length. If I go for Long sizes it throws off proportions and makes me look like I'm wearing my dad's jacket lol.
    Also, sizing up a size would make things for worse all around as the shoulders fit spot on and waist and chest has a touch more room than others I have but drapes well.
    Thanks for all the feedback though. I'll post some in my proper trousers and higher rise jeans next time!

4. jtorres94

jtorres94 Senior Member

Not expecting them to be made, just want an email back to confirm adjustments I requested will go through, haha

5. Spex

Spex Senior Member

I thought the shirts were still made in India...

6. shabbytraddy

shabbytraddy Senior Member

Glad to see those peak lapels flying off the sales rack. Wore the grey POW today and it never fails to look amazing. Not casual by any means (and some might be put off my the SB), but goddam...

@spiermackay

Rick, I know the unfinished sleeves thing has been beaten into the ground, but in a related vein I'd like to beg for side tabs on suit trousers. I'm sure it's probably an uncharge but I just hate hate hate slapping a belt on the suit, and I imagine your pricing on the side tabs would be far less than my tailor's (who isn't comfortable doing them to begin with). I'm super pleased with all the recent SM purchases I've made, and it seems like your brand is (deservedly) growing: side tabs and unfinished sleeves feel like the right move.

7. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Distinguished Member

Anybody else have a problem with S&M Neapolitan/spalla shoulders divoting despite the jacket not being too small? Any idea what the cause is? I'm wondering if I need to let out the back to let the shoulder move forward a bit..

8. Ezio

Ezio Senior Member

I'm thinking about getting the Navy Wool/Cashmere topcoat, but since it's final sale, I'm hesitant on which size to get, 44 or 46. I want to be able to wear it with and without a suit. My suit size is 44, so I'm worried if it'll look bulky/baggy when I wear it without a suit. What should I go with?

9. marker2037

marker2037 Distinguished Member

46 if you want to wear it will a jacket underneath. It won't look bulky if you don't though as it's fitted enough.

10. OrdinarilyDapper

OrdinarilyDapper Senior Member

Post pics. I have minor to moderate divot in sleeve head where it connects to shoulder, not shoulder itself. Basically I was told to bring that material in to the seam and up thus taking care of excess. I mentioned to my Tailor and he said that is around $75 to do.
    Is it like this in picture below?

IMG_2255.JPG

11. 7_rocket

7_rocket Distinguished Member

Hate to break up the party but SM really needs to refine the website when I click on sale items. Put an option to choose suits, sweaters, pants etc.

12. losrockets

losrockets Distinguished Member

@shabbytraddy IIRC Neapolitan cut suits will have side tabs going forward.

13. coolarrow

coolarrow Distinguished Member

I'll get behind the unfinished sleeves suggestions, Rick. And have one other: deeper pockets on the pants that came with the Neapolitan suit. I'd like to make sure my keys/change doesn't come out when I sit down and cross my legs.

14. Vinilo1969

Vinilo1969 Senior Member

I have the same small divot concerning my Neapolitan suit, in addition to a full divot. At first I was going to have my tailor fix it, but I will leave it for now, and alter it after some outings.

15. Vinilo1969

Vinilo1969 Senior Member

I just ordered the last tan cotton suit, contemporary fit, in my size 36s. Although it's freezing out, summer won't be long coming. I was unsure whether the slim fit would serve me better, but considered the summer weather calls for looser clothing rather than skin-touching slimness especially in the legs. Thanks to Burzan for his pics from last year's cotton suit trousers which I believe is the same as what goes into this suit. I would appreciate seeing if anyone has pics of last summer's tan cotton suit, because the website pic lighting is rather limited.