• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, those models look better in their suits than you and I look in ours. lol

Joking aside, I think you are right that the proportions are much better in those shots.

However, we also need to be careful about judging too much from a single photo. Yesterday I took a picture of myself in one of my suits (spoilered because it's not S&M). I used my iPhone to take the photo and the angle isn't ideal (the phone was about hip high). Looking only at the first picture below, I think the suit is less flattering than it could be.

20180112Full.jpg

However, I previously took a photo of the same suit with my DSLR, at a better angle (about chest high), and under better lighting conditions. By comparison, I think the suit looks pretty great.

20171216EpauletSouthwickDanubeBlue.jpg

My point is that single static photos can only tell us so much. I saw that first photo above from yesterday and thought, "I better confirm that this suit isn't actually making me look smaller at the shoulders and larger at the waist and it's just the iPhone/angle causing it to look that way." I looked at myself in the mirror, saw something that matched the second photo, and went on my way.

Use our feedback and what you see in the photo to test for what might be wrong in the suit. But make the final decision based on what you see in real life.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you all, into the return box it is.
One point I'll reiterate is since you're this close and armed with a lot of intel, take it to your tailor anyway. His in-person assessment should be better than us picking apart photos. Plus, even if it's a lost cause, the exercise will be a good one for future reference - both for you and for him for you. Lastly, if you've never worked with him on a jacket before, you should get a sense of his skill/ability/willingness - it's a nice way to make sure you're both on the same page for the next round before you get there.

You're this close and were already going to take it by him, spend the time to do it - it'll pay dividends. Unless of course you've already spent a lot of time/examples with him and this wouldn't add any research.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, those models look better in their suits than you and I look in ours. lol

Joking aside, I think you are right that the proportions are much better in those shots.

However, we also need to be careful about judging too much from a single photo. Yesterday I took a picture of myself in one of my suits (spoilered because it's not S&M). I used my iPhone to take the photo and the angle isn't ideal (the phone was about hip high). Looking only at the first picture below, I think the suit is less flattering than it could be.

However, I previously took a photo of the same suit with my DSLR, at a better angle (about chest high), and under better lighting conditions. By comparison, I think the suit looks pretty great.

My point is that single static photos can only tell us so much. I saw that first photo above from yesterday and thought, "I better confirm that this suit isn't actually making me look smaller at the shoulders and larger at the waist and it's just the iPhone/angle causing it to look that way." I looked at myself in the mirror, saw something that matched the second photo, and went on my way.

Use our feedback and what you see in the photo to test for what might be wrong in the suit. But make the final decision based on what you see in real life.

Agreed. I find that anything other than chest level photo could make the jacket’s fit and length very deceiving. Like those photos I took in the elevator made the jackets appear long while the trousers skinny.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One point I'll reiterate is since you're this close and armed with a lot of intel, take it to your tailor anyway. His in-person assessment should be better than us picking apart photos. Plus, even if it's a lost cause, the exercise will be a good one for future reference - both for you and for him for you. Lastly, if you've never worked with him on a jacket before, you should get a sense of his skill/ability/willingness - it's a nice way to make sure you're both on the same page for the next round before you get there.

You're this close and were already going to take it by him, spend the time to do it - it'll pay dividends. Unless of course you've already spent a lot of time/examples with him and this wouldn't add any research.

Yup, exactly what I’m gonna do sir. It’s nice since the tailor’s and post office are all across the street from my office so I’ll do that on Monday. Get an assessment from the tailor then drop the suit at the PO.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for the MTM shirt connoisseurs here: If I wanted to decrease the armhole size along with the upper sleeve diameter, what ratio of decrease should I pursue?

It would be a slight decrease, between 1" and .5", but I'm not sure. My bicep currently has 3.5" of room.

I was thinking 1" for the armhole and .5" or .75" for the bicep or should it be the other way around? .5" for the armhole and up to 1" for the bicep? Or equal decrease in both?

The shirt fits fantastic as is, I'm just trying to perfect it. Might as well, right?
Any advice here guys? I'm actually thinking I might just go down .5" for both now.

Rick, the MTM cuff sizing is still not working so I'm just going to add this as a note on my order.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Word for the wise. If your shirt is already fitted fairly trim. Take things down in small increments. Order 1 and go from there

exfalso

Reaction score
FYI, white poplin shirts have been restocked with multiple sleeve options (the options could be more neatly displayed, though).

I guess things will roll in one at a time now?

Last edited:

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yup, exactly what I’m gonna do sir. It’s nice since the tailor’s and post office are all across the street from my office so I’ll do that on Monday. Get an assessment from the tailor then drop the suit at the PO.
:fistbump:

jermyzy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be adding one of the slub sportscoat to my wardrobe. Although I like the navy slub, I'm leaning towards the green as almost all of my sportscoats are already blue (except for the donegal tweed). I have no idea what colour shirts/pants would pair well with the green. Any suggestions?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be adding one of the slub sportscoat to my wardrobe. Although I like the navy slub, I'm leaning towards the green as almost all of my sportscoats are already blue (except for the donegal tweed). I have no idea what colour shirts/pants would pair well with the green. Any suggestions?
I think most things that pair well with navy would also work with green.

Tan/khaki/light grey/mid grey pants.

Ecru shirt would also work along with the usual pastel blues and the white. Pale pink should work as well.

62895c4d7ae7341f6a29dfdc74889e2c--tweed-sport-coat-sport-coats.jpg

From B&tailor, but same idea.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got you. In addition to the @FlyingHorker suggestions you can easily wear navy trousers, dark and light wash denim, brown trousers. I’ve also worn my lavender and and lavender university stripe oxfords with it.

The green slub rocks.

D96BE45F-C8BB-43CB-8C8F-FE5C20E48766.jpeg

lh0628

Reaction score
I'm looking to order some tweed jackets (Donegal and Merino tweed), and I'm not sure about what size I should order. I wear 16 slim OCBDs and the fit is fairly spot on with a bit extra fabrics under the armpit.

Suggestions on size and cut? 40/42R, slim/contemporary?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads