• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
T shirts are a bit thick to wear as undershirts, especially in the summer. Try Uniqlo Airism if you want a deep V undershirt.
Unless that’s something else Rick can make better ?

The Airism is a pretty great undershirt. I wouldn't go near something like that. But I wear T's almost every day at some point, so I figure make some decent ones and put them out there.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've been eyeballing that Minnis Black & White POW Fresco MTO fabric, for a suit. For a sport jacket its a no brainer, but having trouble imagining whether it works as a suit. Anybody seen a fabric like this as a suit? Will it just appear as another gray suit from a distance, or will it be perceived as black and white, which is what I would want. Thoughts? @spiermackay ?

It's actually a pretty classic pattern. Makes a killer suit and can be broken up pretty easily to separates. The trousers don't even need to be worn with a sportcoat. Any casual jacket up top, or even a polo or something casual will do upstairs. Check trousers and a casual polo is a pretty sharp summer look IMO.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I love Spier & Mackay, but are there really not enough places that sell undershirts and socks and underwear already? I get being a one-stop shop pre-internet, but it seems so much less necessary now.

Plenty of places that sell suits, sportshirts and shirts already too.

Easy add on. Not a huge investment for us. Why not? If it doesn't work it's not a big risk. If it does, great, new revenue stream.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I second this. Very decent fabric for the price. Great fit. Lousy collars which really makes the t shirt look much poorer quality overall than it actually is.

I love wearing it but the collar curling up really stops me from wearing them anywhere other than around the house.

Yeah. We **** canned that supplier. Amazing samples. Did crazy wash test. Things were great. Then, totally different item delivered. Very frustrating. Dumping them for $5 was a loss on every piece.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I could be misunderstanding here but I believe the T-shirts are designed to be worn on their own and are not undershirts.

Believe it or not it isn't easy to find an ideal white T-shirt. I have tried numerous companies and they always seem to be lacking in some way (length, thickness of cotton, quality of cotton, quality of neck line etc.)

It's true. VERY difficult to find a good t-shirt that hits the quality/value ratio correctly. I use to buy Uniqlo myself, but they shrink funny or of a cotton/poly blend that's ok but not great. We'll try.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had luck with the Banana Republic supima cotton t shirts. I found they fit better than uniqlo. When on sale at 50% off its $17 cdn.

Edit - But it's always good to have options

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased any of this season's polos? I'd like to hear some thoughts.

I'm getting fabric bunching under collar in the back; The dreaded collar roll.
Square shoulders are usually the culprit but I have a medium slope.
I'll wait to hear what others say before making return.
It's a shame because the off-white is a perfect shade of creamy goodness.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As someone who considers boxer-briefs to be an abomination on the level of stretch fabric or wrinkle-free dress shirts, I'm always on the lookout for well made, reasonably priced classic boxer shorts. I'd absolutely be interested in Spier & Mackay were to bring something out.

Are you asking for old school woven boxers?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's true. VERY difficult to find a good t-shirt that hits the quality/value ratio correctly. I use to buy Uniqlo myself, but they shrink funny or of a cotton/poly blend that's ok but not great. We'll try.
This would be an awesome addition. I finally caved and rotated all my t shirts out to Sunspel but man replacing those, trashing one or shrinking one on accident hurts a bit. Would be great to have a better option at a better cost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads