• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy Birdseye was a sleeper guys, the complexity of the weave is beautiful with blueish/purple/black yarns. The web pics didn’t do it justice but I took a gamble at the liquidation price and had a huge smile on my face when I unboxed it!

View attachment 1544059 View attachment 1544060 View attachment 1544061 View attachment 1544062
I was tempted by that one but was not sure I could pull off the purplish color. Look forward to seeing your pairings
How do the overcoats fit? Interested, but unsure of sizing. Wear a 44L in the sportcoats, so was thinking of a 46. No longs offered, but the measurements look ok. Any insights would be appreciated.

Grabbed a bunch of shirts for a song on the BOX25 code that arrived last week and are incredible value for the money. Also grabbed a sportcoat, suit and several pairs of pants. Beyond thrilled with everything.

Looks like I'm falling down the rabbit hole again...
I am 44L and buy the 46 overcoats. 46 fits well but a 46L would give a bit more length. 46 hits me squarely on the knee. I’d like another inch or two.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I am 44L and buy the 46 overcoats. 46 fits well but a 46L would give a bit more length. 46 hits me squarely on the knee. I’d like another inch or two.
Thanks -- appreciate the insights. Maybe I'll punt if they liquidate them. Shame about no long offerings, as not sure where else I would get similar quality for the money, even at current prices.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Italian much better in the roll department? How about a large Italian?

Do you have other Italian BD collars? They seem quite long, which is what I am after... How do you like them?

Also, the Large Italians is very rolla-licious. Do you have any of those to compare?
Take my insights with a grain of salt, as they’re based on an N of 1 re: the Italian BD collar. To my eye, it has a more curvaceous “S” than normal BDs. Both have really good rolls, it’s just easier to see the “S” silhouette from top to bottom of collar/buttoning point of the Italian. I agree the Italian looks better worn open, especially when paired with a Neo sportcoat. Would love to try a large Italian button down but would have to go MTO for that. I can say that it’s inspired me to cop more SM Italian button downs to add variety to my shirt wardrobe.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much longer are the Italian BD collar points than that of the non-Italian?
Very good question, one to which I do not have the answer. Would be good to know this as well, as I was thinking earlier that the Italian BD collar point length and their placement might account for the roll/"S" silhouette.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Italian much better in the roll department? How about a large Italian?

Do you have other Italian BD collars? They seem quite long, which is what I am after... How do you like them?

Also, the Large Italians is very rolla-licious. Do you have any of those to compare?
I prefer the Italian because of the longer points and resultant roll for shirts I am less likely to wear with a tie.

Not sure the difference between the Italian and the so called Large Italian you mention
Take my insights with a grain of salt, as they’re based on an N of 1 re: the Italian BD collar. To my eye, it has a more curvaceous “S” than normal BDs. Both have really good rolls, it’s just easier to see the “S” silhouette from top to bottom of collar/buttoning point of the Italian. I agree the Italian looks better worn open, especially when paired with a Neo sportcoat. Would love to try a large Italian button down but would have to go MTO for that. I can say that it’s inspired me to cop more SM Italian button downs to add variety to my shirt wardrobe.
How much longer are the Italian BD collar points than that of the non-Italian?
Very good question, one to which I do not have the answer. Would be good to know this as well, as I was thinking earlier that the Italian BD collar point length and their placement might account for the roll/"S" silhouette.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.58.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.59.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.58.28 PM.png

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my local guys in the GTA,

Where can I buy quality laces for the chukka two eyelet boot? The laces it came with are comically too long. Gotta look while walking around on the carpet downstairs!

SoundBrewer

Reaction score
I have a question about collars. I prefer Spier's oxford shirts to Proper Cloth's oxfords. The material feels more substantial and holds up better throughout the day. I wear the Spier classic button down collar and the Proper Cloth soft ivy collar. But I can't figure out how to get the Spier collar right.

Here's my particular problem: my Spier shirts look and fit great with a tie. But if I go tie-less and unbutton the top button, the collar still has a tendency to close. From afar, I look like a dork who has buttoned the top button without tie. By contrast, when I wear my Proper Cloth oxfords without a tie, the collar tends to stay open a bit more. I'm not sure that the collar size is too small, though, because I can comfortably stick a couple fingers in the collar.

What am I doing wrong? Should I go with the Italian collar? What about dropping the second button by an inch? And has anyone had success getting a tailor to open a new button hole?

Anything to make me look less of a poindexter!

Thanks!
Up to you, but I always just leave both the top two buttons undone.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own a blue suit and I'm wondering if this medium blue suit is appropriate for professional business dress environments?

It's hard to tell from the pictures but that suit strikes me as a bit casual. I have a suit that is an even lighter shade of blue -- but it's got a subtle windowpane pattern, you can hardly see it with the naked eye but it adds texture and depth to the fabric. It's a fashionable business suit -- but it's still a business suit. The S&M suit in the picture is a very nice suit, and I'd certainly buy it for casual occasions, but it strikes me as a little too casual. It's a shade or two lighter than a standard navy blue business suit, but it doesn't have any texture.

On second thought, I looked at the closeup pics and... they look right. OK, I'm changing my mind on this one. It's worth a try as a business suit. There's a good chance that it will work. There's still some risk -- in my experience, a business suit that is in an aggressive color has to be expensive. You can save money on a basic navy suit, a grey pin stripe, etc. If the fit is good and the fabric isn't insanely cheap, you'll be OK. But if you're going to go with a nonstandard color, the fabric has got to be of the highest quality or it just doesn't work.

This one is worth a shot though, if it's in your budget. Odds are it will work in a business environment.

Cavet: I've got ultra-traditional tastes, most people would probably say that this suit is certain to work in a business environment. But as stated above, I think it's worth a go, there's a very good chance that it will work in a business setting. I like it and would take a chance on it myself if I were in the market for a new S&M suit.

conak

Reaction score
I have a question about collars. I prefer Spier's oxford shirts to Proper Cloth's oxfords. The material feels more substantial and holds up better throughout the day. I wear the Spier classic button down collar and the Proper Cloth soft ivy collar. But I can't figure out how to get the Spier collar right.

Here's my particular problem: my Spier shirts look and fit great with a tie. But if I go tie-less and unbutton the top button, the collar still has a tendency to close. From afar, I look like a dork who has buttoned the top button without tie. By contrast, when I wear my Proper Cloth oxfords without a tie, the collar tends to stay open a bit more. I'm not sure that the collar size is too small, though, because I can comfortably stick a couple fingers in the collar.

What am I doing wrong? Should I go with the Italian collar? What about dropping the second button by an inch? And has anyone had success getting a tailor to open a new button hole?

Anything to make me look less of a poindexter!

Thanks!

I assume this is due to the button spacing, but I always either wear SM shirts with a tie or unbutton the top two buttons. I think unbuttoning only the top button usually looks bad unless you have a v-neck sweater on to drop the focus point. To my eye, one button open says 'I'm trying to relax because it seems cool', which will always come off as tryhard, like Kamala Harris pretending she smoked pot in college. Either go fully relaxed or go full tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads