• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EddieK

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the extra part in a hidden placket?
I ordered some shirts with hidden placket apparently by accident. I wanted french placket, or even the standard one.
So I'm wondering if it's possible to change the placket or remove the part that hides the button

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Follow up question: does this shirt look too short (or alternatively is too much cuff showing)? I find with the first shirt it goes too far down my palm.
View attachment 1472993 View attachment 1472994
If you want some shirt advice, it is best to take pictures without the jacket on first. One with the cuff buttoned, one with it unbuttoned. Both have a relaxed/normal arm posture like in these photos

hrv123

Reaction score
Can anyone provide an unbiased, non-fanboy, review of previous years' iterations of the knitwear (assuming the new stuff is made with the same material and by the same factory)? While I love S&M's tailoring and think it offers great value for money, I have been quite disappointed by their other offerings with respect to quality of fabrics, construction and sizing. I've tried the polos, tshirts, hoodies and the balamacn. I'm obviously not expecting them to be comparable to the higher end knitwear makers, but looking to see how they compare to other sub $400 manufacturers like Howlin, Jamieson's of Shetland, etc.

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
Can anyone provide an unbiased, non-fanboy, review of previous years' iterations of the knitwear (assuming the new stuff is made with the same material and by the same factory)? While I love S&M's tailoring and think it offers great value for money, I have been quite disappointed by their other offerings with respect to quality of fabrics, construction and sizing. I've tried the polos, tshirts, hoodies and the balamacn. I'm obviously not expecting them to be comparable to the higher end knitwear makers, but looking to see how they compare to other sub $400 manufacturers like Howlin, Jamieson's of Shetland, etc.
I have a few sweaters from the prior season of S&M, and I think they are all very nice for the quality, and I enjoy the fit as well. I haven't experienced any pilling, except some on the neck of my rollneck, but that's due to some stubble, so it's to be expected. I'm not sure how they compare to those similarly priced retailers, but I think they're good sweaters overall.

abantigen

Reaction score

The fine merino wool sweaters and cardigans are great value. You can get the same sort of style from Uniqlo for even cheaper but SM is a step above in quality. I like them as basic layering pieces under sport coats or visually interesting outerwear.

I'm not a big fan of the cable knits though. I'm sure the quality is fine but merino wool has a slight sheen to it and the lack of texture doesn't work well with this style in my opinion.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like the polo coats are ready stock so someone must have got their Brown Herringbone Donegal? Can I get some real life pics? I'm close to just disregard the balmacaan and pull the trigger on this.

mbb355

Reaction score
Following up on the knitwear questions, are the cable knit crewnecks and rollnecks heavier than their "basic"/"solid" counterparts? I typically think of cable knit sweaters as a little heavier and chunkier than plain ones, but that's not always the case and not clear from the website. I see they're all 2-ply merino wool, so maybe that suggests they're all of equal weight, but would be nice to confirm. Thanks.

mbb355

Reaction score
(By the way, whoever said the camel knitwear is too yellow is spot-on; I much prefer a "colder" camel (although not taupe-level cold))

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following up on the knitwear questions, are the cable knit crewnecks and rollnecks heavier than their "basic"/"solid" counterparts? I typically think of cable knit sweaters as a little heavier and chunkier than plain ones, but that's not always the case and not clear from the website. I see they're all 2-ply merino wool, so maybe that suggests they're all of equal weight, but would be nice to confirm. Thanks.

Yes, they are chunkier. But not heavyweight.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, the brands you mentioned are a completely different price range. If you want knitwear basics with the best bang-for-your buck, then S&M's knitwears are of good quality. I have multiple vnecks and turtlenecks and I am happy with them. They're slim, trim, length is great and the hand-feel is nice. Could you get it cheaper elsewhere? Totally. But cheaper = questionable and ethical garment production.

chatelet

Reaction score
Well, the brands you mentioned are a completely different price range. If you want knitwear basics with the best bang-for-your buck, then S&M's knitwears are of good quality. I have multiple vnecks and turtlenecks and I am happy with them. They're slim, trim, length is great and the hand-feel is nice. Could you get it cheaper elsewhere? Totally. But cheaper = questionable and ethical garment production.
My only gripe is that the neck opening on the V necks is too large and could be reduced about 30%. That was last FW, not sure this year.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trumbus