• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had no idea there was such a strong opinion on wearing black. I think the first sweater that caught my eye in the latest batch was the black quarter zip. I've always liked wearing black, though admittedly since I've started wearing more S&M I probably don't wear black as often as I did a few years ago. Still something I consider when getting dressed, however I also don't have a traditional or classic style by any means.

There's this one outfit I saw Bradd Pitt in a while back - pretty simple but I thought it worked really well so I've been hoping S&M would come out with a black polo.

View attachment 1472289

99.9% of the men on this board don't look like Brad Pitt.

Imperatores

Reaction score
There's this one outfit I saw Bradd Pitt in a while back - pretty simple but I thought it worked really well so I've been hoping S&M would come out with a black polo.

He's Brad Pitt, though. He can make almost anything look good. Even so, he would've looked better if he burned those hideous shoes and swapped out the black polo for a navy one.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the reason why we tend to avoid black is due to the fact that everyone on the street wears black athletic or puffer jackets in addition to making you look like a waiter. But the same can be said about navy suits when not paired with some loud color shirt. Having said that black looks awesome with someone who has a pale skin color. Hell it makes a fat man looks slimmer so 99.9% of the guys here should wear black.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read that black suits are common in east asia. It does look better with high contrast complexions (lighter skin, black hair.)

Not for me though.

pickergc

Reaction score
Thoughts on the emerald linen suit to wear instead of a tux as the groom for a summer wedding?

I wrote the below as a knee-jerk reaction. We should probably refrain from these types of thought experiments (black clothing ? ) junking up the affiliate's thread. Especially in this dynamic, stressful drop szn.

TL;DR - YMMV

It's your wedding, you should wear whatever you want. Having said that, I'd ask the fiancé before this thread. You're going to get answers along the spectrum from heresy to applause and adoration. Personally, I fall somewhere in between. If done right, for the right wedding, it could be cool. Though, I wonder what history will say when you look back photos. I think my dad wore a weird, faded-salmon ruffly tux - which is cool/funny as a thought, but not necessarily going to be featured on a Instagram mood board or making a coming back in the foreseeable future. Not that that should be a determining factor, though I do like the idea of looking back and not absolutely cringing at photos.

eleven_will_see_you_now

Reaction score
Don't think black is all that popular to be honest. It's not a very versatile colour
I actually just thrifted a BB black merino polo a few weeks ago and I love it casually paired with jeans. Might pair it with grey trousers if I want a dressed up look. It’s not versatile but it is a good look imo. Not business-y but i think I’ll only wear it for going out to restaurants or get togethers or dates where I want more than a t shirt but less than a button up. Might cop a Spier version to see what it’s like but it’s 4x the price I paid for my thrifted one and I blew my budget on the summer sales already ?

greenhouse

Reaction score
No you can’t, I only want black ⚫ suits and skinny ?? lapels. Those ties? ? Garbage ? who would ever wear them? ? I only wear oversized to look good ??Rick should follow the times ??? Right now everything is no go ??‍♂️ Trends are everything ? and polyester is king ??
My eyes. Never again do this, as a joke or not. I beg you.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trumbus