• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This. I have to move cuff buttons to narrow the opening on my Spier shirts now, I don't think I had to do before....

We didn't touch the cuffs. But something I'll have the tailors double check. Our size charts are exactly the same for the cuffs.

I have a request for future suits/trousers:

1) Increase the size on the thigh and seat of the contemporary trousers. They're pretty snug. By increasing the thigh and seat, but leaving everything else the same, the trousers are still tapered and slim, making them contemporary. Just a thought.

2) Maybe slightly increase the shoulder and chest measurements on the jackets. For example, the 40R on the contemporary suit is a 43.3''. If you have a true 40'' chest (which is assumed for a size 40 suit), that only leaves 3.3'' extra room for the chest, which in my opinion is too small. I would suggest a 44'' chest to be much more comfortable without affecting the look of the suit. An increase in the shoulder by 0.25'' would also do the same.

The contemporary was an increase over the slim, and you'd be surprised how many guys still ask for the slim to be even more so!

What you are asking for may be a slightly more full cut suit, more along the lines of a classic fit. This is something we have thought about. It would be more in line with the Suitsupply Napoli. Wider shoulders, fuller chest.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your tobacco suit were the same color as your tobacco pants (and ideally had patch pockets) I'd have ordered it along with my core navy suit yesterday Rick. That said I'm still really tempted to. Do you have any daylight/real world pics of that suit?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If your tobacco suit were the same color as your tobacco pants (and ideally had patch pockets) I'd have ordered it along with my core navy suit yesterday Rick. That said I'm still really tempted to. Do you have any daylight/real world pics of that suit?

The tabacco suit IS the same colour as the trousers. I think maybe lighting conditions are the difference. Let me see if I can get a pic that is close to natural. I have it on display in the showroom.

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh SERIOUSLY? They look so different, the trouser separates look a warm, rusty brown online whereas the full suit looks like a cool brown.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This pic is a pretty good representation. It's somewhere between the two. Not as saturated as the trouser, but warmer than the suit pic.

It's a great shade of brown.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch I'll have to think about it after I see how the suit I just purchased fits. Thanks for the pic!

scatterbrain

Reaction score
@spiermackay

Important question: can you make custom shirts for my wife and my cat?

We want to do a family Christmas photo with matching flannel shirts.

Yes, I am serious. I imagine the cat shirt will need a false front placket and actually Velcro up at the back. Pattern matching and MOP buttons are required all around (including the cat)

Edit:MOP and flannel may be a formality clash. Will need to consider proper butttons...

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@spiermackay

Important question: can you make custom shirts for my wife and my cat?

We want to do a family Christmas photo with matching flannel shirts.

Yes, I am serious. I imagine the cat shirt will need a false front placket and actually Velcro up at the back. Pattern matching and MOP buttons are required all around (including the cat)

Edit:MOP and flannel may be a formality clash. Will need to consider proper butttons...

You and the wife, yes. Cat, I have to talk to the tailor about. That will make an epic Christmas pic though!

redbeardedmike

Reaction score
I disagree with the notion to narrow the cuff opening. For me, the shirts I bought in December have the narrowest cuff opening of any non custom shirt I own. I can't fit a watch under the cuff for the 15.5" slim fit.

I think that this contributes to my not being able to wear them with a jacket. The narrow cuff causes the sleeve to ride up a bit and disappear under my jacket (with proper sleeve lengths). The longer 35" sleeve on the 15.5 slim fit should help, but I haven't tried one on yet to know if it can now be worn with a jacket.

CMAc7

Reaction score
@spiermackay

Are you still on pace to release the Fall '15 items next week? What will be included in the next release? Suiting, trousers, shirts (OCBD??), belts, sport coats?

doodledoc

Reaction score
Could you provide real world pics of the grey windowpane, light brown glen check, and the blue self check suits?

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone dealt with returns from US? What's the process like? Do you only get store credit or a refund?

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've returned several items and only had an issue getting something across the border once (If anybody would like to purchase a new contemporary fit navy bengal stripe shirt in 15.5 that had sleeves accidentally cut at 34" instead of 34.5" please let me know). I honestly cannot remember right now whether you get a refund or store credit but I believe it's the former + $15 store credit to cover for shipping.

Just received several items today: Madras shirt (cannot tell you how much i regret not buying these sooner), two of the new lowered button shirts (a light blue chambray and a light blue hairline stripe), and a model 2 navy suit. Everything fits as specified online, and looks and feels so great in person. I've owned a Model 2 sportcoat for a couple months now and loved the fit, and needing a new suit for some upcoming interviews I purchased the navy. It's fantastic. I previously owned the model 1 core navy and gray suits and as great a value as those were, this is a definite step up. Can't remember if the fabric is improved on this version but nonetheless it's quite nice, IMO better than a VBC 110s navy fabric I have for a SuitSupply suit.

Now I'm really looking forward to the full canvas option whenever it gets released!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads