• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Just got this Irish Tweed Card from a distributor (Not Donegal, but I should be getting those too). Any of these workable? I like the blue & green
I feel like the blue and green would look very nice from far away - resolve to a rich, textured-yet-solid jacket, but I didn't like them close up when viewing the original image. The close-up matters, because it's what I see on my arms all day.

For some reason I find the checkerboard pattern (not sure of what to call this weave) a little annoying. It lacks the spontanaety of the donegal, where you never know which colours will turn up where. It also lacks the actual pattern statement found in other busy patterns like herringbone, houndstooth or shepard's check.

That said, I'm not in the market for winter coats (have 5 already) and tend to like obnoxiously loud FU jackets, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I would be really tempted by a navy or green donegal. There was a pic a while back on the forums where braddock (I think) was wearing an AMAZING green donegal. Will see if I could find it.

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any response on the possibility of a synthetic or two for custom?

Still looking. To find a good quality one is the trick.

The more I think about it the more in I would be on a true navy Donegal. These are okay looking, how do they feel Rick?

I'm looking for Donegal. There were just sent from the distributor for me to take a look. These were the only ones that I even considered from the rest of the bunch. They are scratchy, the way Tweed should feel and have a good weight and hand to them. But not overwhelmingly great. The blue and green are actually quite nice in person though as far as colours go.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
$_3.JPG

Burgundy grey check cashmere/wool blend

Awww yisss! Sooo nice.

Last edited:

doodledoc

Reaction score
Rick, do you have a picture of a french cuff shirt that you sell? Also, for MTM, can you do a rounded french cuff?

aglose

Reaction score
Just noticed that the model 2 slim fits stop at size 40. Will these be expanded to size 42?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just noticed that the model 2 slim fits stop at size 40. Will these be expanded to size 42?

Not in the short term. Because of how the Slim and Contemporary are graded and they use slightly different grading rules, the 42 was almost an intersecting size and there was hardly a 1.5 cm difference in the waist and chest between the two. So essentially, the 42 contemporary fit nearly the same as the 42 Slim. That said, we are always tinkering with the grade and may get to a point where it makes sense.

aglose

Reaction score

Not in the short term. Because of how the Slim and Contemporary are graded and they use slightly different grading rules, the 42 was almost an intersecting size and there was hardly a 1.5 cm difference in the waist and chest between the two. So essentially, the 42 contemporary fit nearly the same as the 42 Slim. That said, we are always tinkering with the grade and may get to a point where it makes sense.

Interesting. Great explanation. Once the full canvas are ready I'll try one in a 42.

Reaction score
Is anyone able to post a decent picture of how an OCBD should fit around the shoulders, specifically near the shoulder blades. I got my first MTM and love it and just want to make sure (after I wash and press) that the shoulders don't have too much fabric! As it stands I think it is ok but there was a tiny bit of excess so hopefully it was from it being folded and after I've pressed it will be better. This is important because I want to make sure my future MTM measurements are spot on.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is anyone able to post a decent picture of how an OCBD should fit around the shoulders, specifically near the shoulder blades. I got my first MTM and love it and just want to make sure (after I wash and press) that the shoulders don't have too much fabric! As it stands I think it is ok but there was a tiny bit of excess so hopefully it was from it being folded and after I've pressed it will be better. This is important because I want to make sure my future MTM measurements are spot on.

I don't think I saw the shirt on you personally. I know I spoke to you after. If you want, I'm in the shop all day today if you want to swing by and I can take another look. That said, my staff is well trained to spot any oddities of fit and suggest alterations and adjustments.

Rick

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads