• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the deal with Virtusize, is it any good? I added my height, weight and age, and it calculated my measurements almost spot-on. I’m considering proxying something from Japan and wondering if I should trust the size recommendation?

It's as good as the information provided. The garment measurements are input by the vendor and compared against a compendium of measurements determined for major brands, such as Gap, which are notorious for having wide variance in their sizing. I prefer to see the measurements themselves and compare with garments I'm familiar with. There's of course many measurements or aspects that aren't typically captured in a size chart, such as you may get the front rise but not the back. The cut of the item is not going to be reflected in the measurements alone.

So I went on a Black Friday spree and got 3 things I thought I'd really like. Turns out, none worked for me. I hate returning things. So bummed.

JMM Dealan in argyle. I think they're just too big, even though they're the smaller Dealan (50, there's a 53 version). This is the only one I might keep as I think it might be just a matter of getting used to the size. Now I try my other sunglasses and they feel small?

dealan-argyle-a.jpg

Blake Hedley Bronze Bomber shearling. It just looks very different in person IMO.

GoDaddyStudioPage-0_1_900x.png

Buttero Storia combat boots. They are huge. Like, Herman Munster kind of massive. Also I was hoping they'd have the same leather as my Buttero sidezips but they just try to be like Docs so it has the same kind of smoothened leather.

ANFIBIO-STORIA-IN-PELLE-NERA-BUTTERO_42820_dettaglio.jpg

I wear Dealan opticals and sunglasses. For me they work about the same as Wayfarers, just chunkier (and better). But if that style doesn't suit you, or the size is just too large, then you should return them.

Curious to hear your thoughts on how Blake Hedley was different than expected. I believe @d4nimal also has a shearling from them.

Last edited:

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@whorishconsumer the distressing effect looked very different in person, color seemed lighter as well and the contrast between the panels in the sleeves and the rest of the jacket was bigger than expected. I should’ve gone with a more subdued model like the B-15 or the Buckley.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fixed this for you haha. That dude terrible on basically all levels. And please don’t think I’m equating on any level the people here to stoolies.

That rant from Dave is like every sports commentator from Staten Island or Jersey.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@whorishconsumer the distressing effect looked very different in person, color seemed lighter as well and the contrast between the panels in the sleeves and the rest of the jacket was bigger than expected. I should’ve gone with a more subdued model like the B-15 or the Buckley.

So no concerns with the quality?

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portnoy is, for some reason, also a fairly regular guest expert on Fox news business segments and talking head shows. Distasteful as Portnoy is, I do feel like he has credibly disproved the sexual assault news pieces against him and unlike just about every other cultural figure in that particular space, has been openly vocal against the GOP on things like abortion and supporting Trump. I think he is probably also the only one who did not pump any shitcoins or nfts for payola.

“Mr. Portnoy, 45, rose to fame by capitalizing on misogyny and other offensive behavior. He once said that some women “kind of deserve to be raped.” He wouldn’t remove photos showing a toddler’s penis from his bloguntil police showed up at his door. He made what he acknowledged were racist statements, including using the N-word repeatedly. He outed women who accused him of sexual misconduct, threatened to fire employees engaged in unionizing and repeatedly incited attacks on his critics.”

Guy is all around terrible human.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portnoy is, for some reason, also a fairly regular guest expert on Fox news business segments and talking head shows. Distasteful as Portnoy is, I do feel like he has credibly disproved the sexual assault news pieces against him and unlike just about every other cultural figure in that particular space, has been openly vocal against the GOP on things like abortion and supporting Trump. I think he is probably also the only one who did not pump any shitcoins or nfts for payola.
He’s not a right wing figure - he’s just another in a long line of shock jocks. Good money in acting the fool, as it turns out.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh it's the guy who reviews pizza. unfortunately those reviews are the one thing of his to have invaded my life.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He’s not a right wing figure - he’s just another in a long line of shock jocks. Good money in acting the fool, as it turns out.

REALLY good!

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh it's the guy who reviews pizza. unfortunately those reviews are the one thing of his to have invaded my life.

He gave my go-to spot one of the highest ratings he's ever given and the wait for a slice went from however long it takes them to warm it up to 15-20 mins and the wait for a pie went from 25 mins to over an hour and I have never and will never forgive him.

sandmountain

Reaction score
It's as good as the information provided. The garment measurements are input by the vendor and compared against a compendium of measurements determined for major brands, such as Gap, which are notorious for having wide variance in their sizing. I prefer to see the measurements themselves and compare with garments I'm familiar with. There's of course many measurements or aspects that aren't typically captured in a size chart, such as you may get the front rise but not the back. The cut of the item is not going to be reflected in the measurements alone.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, it makes sense to compare the measurements with something similar that I already own that fits well, but unfortunately in this case I don’t have anything to compare it with. I’ve never paid attention to measurements my entire life (perhaps I’ve been lucky that most online purchases have worked out for me), so I was surprised to see that a pair of trousers with a waistband 10cm larger than my waist size is the “most popular size” for my measurements. It is a bit of a baggy fit, and I suppose one doesn’t buy pants that are the exact size of their waist because you might actually wear them lower than the waist? Excusing my ignorance, does this make sense?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Yes, it makes sense to compare the measurements with something similar that I already own that fits well, but unfortunately in this case I don’t have anything to compare it with. I’ve never paid attention to measurements my entire life (perhaps I’ve been lucky that most online purchases have worked out for me), so I was surprised to see that a pair of trousers with a waistband 10cm larger than my waist size is the “most popular size” for my measurements. It is a bit of a baggy fit, and I suppose one doesn’t buy pants that are the exact size of their waist because you might actually wear them lower than the waist? Excusing my ignorance, does this make sense?

A 10 cm difference from your waist may be a bit too loose, depending on your build. If you're the same measurement from your actual waist to your hips, then I'd say it's definitely too loose. Otherwise, if you have hips that are wider than your waist, like me, then as you say some allowance is needed, although depending on how wide your hips are 10 cm may still be a bit much.

The primary factor for me is where the pants are going to rest, which is based upon my weird body, the rise and how much the garment stretches out. If they're high enough rise to stay more or less around my waist, I get them in one size, if they're lower rise, and will start at my hips but fall down from there, I allow them to be looser by an inch or two. In either case, the material generally stretches by some degree and so with cotton trousers, at least, I also account for this by hedging toward the smaller of two sizes.

The unmentioned detail is the waist-to-hip ratio. If the trousers accommodate your hips (and seat all around), then a waist size closer to your own may be warranted. Otherwise you have to play with the two measurements to make it work. As many stores don't provide the hip measurement, this is often guesswork, which you must deduce from the cut of the pant.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads