• We are thrilled to welcome Capra Leather to the Styleforum family of official Affiliate Vendors.They are a hand crafted, made to order leather goods family company. Their products have unique designs with a aesthetic that blend minimalism, tradition and functionality. Focused on sustainability they offer a lifetime warranty on every piece.

Give Capra a warm welcome on their Official Affiliate Thread

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

sandmountain

Reaction score
It's as good as the information provided. The garment measurements are input by the vendor and compared against a compendium of measurements determined for major brands, such as Gap, which are notorious for having wide variance in their sizing. I prefer to see the measurements themselves and compare with garments I'm familiar with. There's of course many measurements or aspects that aren't typically captured in a size chart, such as you may get the front rise but not the back. The cut of the item is not going to be reflected in the measurements alone.
Thanks for your reply! Yes, it makes sense to compare the measurements with something similar that I already own that fits well, but unfortunately in this case I don’t have anything to compare it with. I’ve never paid attention to measurements my entire life (perhaps I’ve been lucky that most online purchases have worked out for me), so I was surprised to see that a pair of trousers with a waistband 10cm larger than my waist size is the “most popular size” for my measurements. It is a bit of a baggy fit, and I suppose one doesn’t buy pants that are the exact size of their waist because you might actually wear them lower than the waist? Excusing my ignorance, does this make sense?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Yes, it makes sense to compare the measurements with something similar that I already own that fits well, but unfortunately in this case I don’t have anything to compare it with. I’ve never paid attention to measurements my entire life (perhaps I’ve been lucky that most online purchases have worked out for me), so I was surprised to see that a pair of trousers with a waistband 10cm larger than my waist size is the “most popular size” for my measurements. It is a bit of a baggy fit, and I suppose one doesn’t buy pants that are the exact size of their waist because you might actually wear them lower than the waist? Excusing my ignorance, does this make sense?
A 10 cm difference from your waist may be a bit too loose, depending on your build. If you're the same measurement from your actual waist to your hips, then I'd say it's definitely too loose. Otherwise, if you have hips that are wider than your waist, like me, then as you say some allowance is needed, although depending on how wide your hips are 10 cm may still be a bit much.

The primary factor for me is where the pants are going to rest, which is based upon my weird body, the rise and how much the garment stretches out. If they're high enough rise to stay more or less around my waist, I get them in one size, if they're lower rise, and will start at my hips but fall down from there, I allow them to be looser by an inch or two. In either case, the material generally stretches by some degree and so with cotton trousers, at least, I also account for this by hedging toward the smaller of two sizes.

The unmentioned detail is the waist-to-hip ratio. If the trousers accommodate your hips (and seat all around), then a waist size closer to your own may be warranted. Otherwise you have to play with the two measurements to make it work. As many stores don't provide the hip measurement, this is often guesswork, which you must deduce from the cut of the pant.

Last edited:

sandmountain

Reaction score
A 10 cm difference from your waist may be a bit too loose, depending on your build. If you're the same measurement from your actual waist to your hips, then I'd say it's definitely too loose. Otherwise, if you have hips that are wider than your waist, like me, then as you say some allowance is needed, although depending on how wide your hips are 10 cm may still be a bit much.

The primary factor for me is where the pants are going to rest, which is based upon my weird body, the rise and how much the garment stretches out. If they're high enough rise to stay more or less around my waist, I get them in one size, if they're lower rise, and will start at my hips but fall down from there, I allow them to be looser by an inch or two. In either case, the material generally stretches by some degree and so with cotton trousers, at least, I also account for this by hedging toward the smaller of two sizes.

The unmentioned detail is the waist-to-hip ratio. If the trousers accommodate your hips (and seat all around), then a waist size closer to your own may be warranted. Otherwise you have to play with the two measurements to make it work. As many stores don't provide the hip measurement, this is often guesswork, which you must deduce from the cut of the pant.
Thanks for your detailed reply, that’s really helpful! Yes, I think I prefer to wear trousers lower than my waist and my hips are larger. So I think these should work although you never know until you’ve tried something on and I guess that’s the risk with proxying something that you can’t return! I’ll give it some more consideration :)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You don’t have any trousers you can measure for comparison? That sounds… unlikely, no?

sandmountain

Reaction score
You don’t have any trousers you can measure for comparison? That sounds… unlikely, no?
Haha, yes it is unlikely. It’s quite embarrassing to admit, but I had a bad mould exposure at the previous place I lived and had to discard a lot of my clothing. I’ve since been slowly building back my wardrobe, but the only trousers I currently own have elasticated waists. Which has been quite good for me, because owing to some health issues I’m a bit underweight and a stretch-waist is a bit more accomodating for my physique and more suitable for my lifestyle. But lately I’ve had my eyes on something with a ‘regular’ waistband and feel a bit uncertain as to what size might be a good match (especially since I’m also a little slimmer than I was before). I wanted to know if Virtusize gives good advice or not. Tbh, online shopping for trousers seems like a bit of nightmare, but I haven’t seen anything that I like that I can buy in person or online with free returns where I live.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That sounds awful. Good luck rebuilding your closet!

sandmountain

Reaction score
Thanks :) Yeah, I lost a lot of good clothes, but the experience has at least made me much more of a minimalist when it comes to material possessions!

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, yes it is unlikely. It’s quite embarrassing to admit, but I had a bad mould exposure at the previous place I lived and had to discard a lot of my clothing. I’ve since been slowly building back my wardrobe, but the only trousers I currently own have elasticated waists. Which has been quite good for me, because owing to some health issues I’m a bit underweight and a stretch-waist is a bit more accomodating for my physique and more suitable for my lifestyle. But lately I’ve had my eyes on something with a ‘regular’ waistband and feel a bit uncertain as to what size might be a good match (especially since I’m also a little slimmer than I was before). I wanted to know if Virtusize gives good advice or not. Tbh, online shopping for trousers seems like a bit of nightmare, but I haven’t seen anything that I like that I can buy in person or online with free returns where I live.
Same thing happened to me a few years back, man. It was honestly pretty heartbreaking having to get rid of some irreplaceable items. Glad you're on the up and up.

Featured Sponsor

What do you normally wear on Mondays at work?

• Suit, shirt, and tie

• Suit and shirt, no tie

• Dress shirt and trousers, jacket or sport coat, tie

• Dress shirt and trousers, jacket or sport coat, no tie

• Dress shirt and trousers, no tie or jacket

• Casual trousers and shirt (polo, t-shirt, etc.)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calm-opportunity428