• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
We'd love to find a good dev to work on it. That's the hard part. We sometimes literally can't give people money to do work. And good money too. A few projects have fallen apart halfway because the developer literally stopped responding to emails. That happened with B&S. And while we have pretty high expectations, our volume of emails and requests were never that crazy either - I'm not a micromanager by temperament. We do have a great designer, and we make sure to do all the things that keep people around, which is basically "treat them well, pay them well and promptly."

It's been suggested that it may be a generational thing, since younger workers move around more, and so have less a sense of loyalty to an employer/project/whatever. I don't know how true that is, but it's definitely a developer thing. I've never had anyone in any other capacity treat people that way on a routine basis.

it's also because the tech market is wonky. demand is so high that people are spoiled with choice and recruiters are running loose like the wild west.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as a matter of principle I do NOT USE grailed. I hate the place, which is kind of a mixed feeling for me because I met the guys who run it and they were nice to me and supportive of my work.
I dont have an account there and will never have one........
right now I have a lot of stuff to sell, some carpe boots, some derbies some old Margiela, among other things and it will be either here, SZ classified, Ebay or Facebook, some other place other than grailed

You're kinda letting the fans ruin the music here

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's also because the tech market is wonky. demand is so high that people are spoiled with choice and recruiters are running loose like the wild west.
Yup. It will change in the next decade or so as the pipelines for developers becomes more... developed. But right now, we are in a transition period. I'm looking forward to a time when developers are both less flaky and have more uniform basic skills. In at least one case, I had to write the algorithms for things that I felt ought to have been rather obvious. A lot of developers know development environments pretty well, but often don't demonstrate commensurate critical thinking abilities and problem solving skills.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Being a freelance developer sounds just like my lifestyle. How do I switch over to that, haha. Wish I knew code... I was going to take a break from corporate marketing and learn some skills. Maybe I'll take a programming class.

Last edited:

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i knew that as a seller, the grailed marketplace was stupid, but i've found that grailed can be just as dumb for buyers. i had a seller not send me an item, and for any of you who don't know, Grailed CS just tells you "here's instructions for opening a Paypal dispute." Well, Paypal "buyer protection" is a mess. it's like a court case where Siri is the judge. i bought this jacket in early december; i'm still going through the process of getting my money back.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing I never find anything worth buying there. Admittedly, I buy mostly CM and Grailed has never offered anything of note.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grailed is hit or miss man. I sell some stuff and have bought some great pieces.

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet to have a problem, think brands have an influence on your experience. I mainly sell Remi Relief and ts(s) on there, so everyone is a chill wannabe Japanese dude. Or Stephan Schneider and Lemaire, to people who wanna be sophisticated but have an underlying mistrust of CM and suits.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of Nom de Geurre, this was an interesting podcast with Wil Whitney (of NDG). Talks about how the store/brand came to be, his stints at Noah, 21 Mercer/NikeLab, Cole Haan during Nike's ownership, Supreme, the affects 9/11 had on lower Manhattan retail, and his current position at Sneakersnstuff.

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of Nom de Geurre, this was an interesting podcast with Wil Whitney (of NDG). Talks about how the store/brand came to be, his stints at Noah, 21 Mercer/NikeLab, Cole Haan during Nike's ownership, Supreme, the affects 9/11 had on lower Manhattan retail, and his current position at Sneakersnstuff.

Wil's a good dude and a NYC retail OG.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. It will change in the next decade or so as the pipelines for developers becomes more... developed. But right now, we are in a transition period. I'm looking forward to a time when developers are both less flaky and have more uniform basic skills. In at least one case, I had to write the algorithms for things that I felt ought to have been rather obvious. A lot of developers know development environments pretty well, but often don't demonstrate commensurate critical thinking abilities and problem solving skills.

There is some good evidence that some set of people cannot learn foundational programming principles, like indirection, concurrency, etc. To what extent that caps the population of programmers is unclear.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is some good evidence that some set of people cannot learn foundational programming principles, like indirection, concurrency, etc. To what extent that caps the population of programmers is unclear.
It's so frustrating. I think that a lot of developers are within that subset of the population who are dumb but feel like they are intelligent because they possess a skillset that a lot of people, both those with that skillset and those without, feel like is a decent proxy for general intelligence.

RFT: I'm obsessed with watches from the 70s and Good Art HLYWD jewelry right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads