• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think universal healthcare limits the salaries of doctors. I also think you'll find most in the US are hardly rich either. Most have pretty crippling student loans. The US is kind weird in regards to salaries and is a bit all over the place really.

Ah true I forgot about student loans.

And yes universal health care does not limit the doctors’ salaries and in fact many have their own private business (on top of working in the public healthcare in the mornings or because they work for a non-public hospital etc) but when there’s “free” health care available I guess they can’t charge exorbitant fees or they will have no customers/patients.

Anyway my view of doctors and lawyers in the US being rich might be wrong (I’d blame at least partially movies in that case).

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And yes universal health care does not limit the doctors’ salaries and in fact many have their own private business (on top of working in the public healthcare in the mornings or because they work for a non-public hospital etc) but when there’s “free” health care available I guess they can’t charge exorbitant fees or they will have no customers/patients.

Anyway my view of doctors and lawyers in the US being rich might be wrong (I’d blame at least partially movies in that case).

I mean it's free in the sense that the government pays for it and/or subsidises it...so they charge the government. A top surgeon is going to be charging the government a very high amount for his work - essentially the market rate. Same with a GP, he's going to be charging the government a (usually somewhat standardised) rate that's not cheap.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm pretty sure in my country doctors’ salaries are regulated just like any other public worker.

If they are superstar doctors (the kind celebrities go to) then chances are they won’t work for public hospitals though.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm pretty sure in my country doctors’ salaries are regulated just like any other public worker.

If they are superstar doctors (the kind celebrities go to) then chances are they won’t work for public hospitals though.

Right yes, they are regulated, but that regulation is tied to a market rate. Usually the union will negotiate a rate that is in line with that.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Salaries for lawyers seem to vary a ton, and by a ton, I mean full order of magnitude. I know people going fresh into white shoe law firms as a junior associate closing in on a quarter of a million. And then I moved here, and some lawyer a few years in told me that the starting salaries at small firms around here were closer to $40K. So, a ton of variation.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right yes, they are regulated, but that regulation is tied to a market rate. Usually the union will negotiate a rate that is in line with that.

I don’t know to be honest, however it works I just checked and the average doctors’ salaries here are a bit above twice the average nationwide salary, so most are hardly rich, which was my initial point.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
leon bridges in bode

DzFPKpiVAAEkcGQ.jpg

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the process of finishing the last stage of my downsizing wardrobe collection... sold off a lot of my "artisanal" stuff. Here's what I'm down to.. (I have some outdoor stuff I'm not listing here!)

For all of you that like lists of clothing!!

2 "fashion" winter coats
- Lemaire long coat
- Paul harnden heavy wool mac

2 leather jackets
- Addict clothes single riders sheep
- Addict clothes double-riders horse

3 fall outerwear
- Robert Geller brick bomber
- Paul Harnden long coat
- Paul Harnden waterproof ventile mac

2 spring outerwear
- Teatora nylon trench
- Paul Harnden breadmaker

Jackets (for the office. If I don't have pockets, I can't carry my mouse between meetings)
- Paul Harnden mid-weight
- Teatora nylon green
- Teatora polyester blue
- Teatora polyester black 5-button
- Teatora tropical wool
- Robert Geller Richard knit jacket

Shirts and polos and stuff
- 4 L/S (honor gathering, something, suzuki takayuki, some italian brand with a dog logo)
- 4 short sleeve (robert geller, Lemaire, post-imperial, norse projects)

T-shirts
- 3 Uniqlo U black
- 2 james perse black (the uni-qlo ones are better haha)
- 3 American apparel tri-blend oatmeal
- 3 Ibex merino wool (need to replace)

Sweaters
- SNS herning zip cardigan
- SNS herning Stark heavy button cardigan
- SNS herning crewneck
- SNS herning turtleneck

Suit
- Ring jacket navy suit plus 2x Uni-qlo non-iron dress shirts and a couple ties

Belts
- Two belts, one pebbled, one smooth

Shoes
- Moto slip-ons
- Guidi black horse derbies
- Guidi & Rosellini suede derbies
- Petrosolaum horse shoes

Boots
- Petrosolaum cordovan ankle boots
- MMoria ankle boots
- Guidi backzips
- Moto chromexcel chelsea (rainboots)

Sneakers
- Common Projects bball natural
- Nike sock darts

Pants
- Resolute 710 jeans
- Colina sashiko pants
- Junya patchwork wool pants
- Layer-0 hemp pants
- Some black pants
- Two pairs of dress pants just in case

Shorts
- Nike shorts x 2
- Some Rick sweatpants/shorts things

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's a great wardrobe nn. and perhaps a great idea for a thread...

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the process of finishing the last stage of my downsizing wardrobe collection... sold off a lot of my "artisanal" stuff. Here's what I'm down to.. (I have some outdoor stuff I'm not listing here!)

For all of you that like lists of clothing!!

2 "fashion" winter coats
- Lemaire long coat
- Paul harnden heavy wool mac

2 leather jackets
- Addict clothes single riders sheep
- Addict clothes double-riders horse

3 fall outerwear
- Robert Geller brick bomber
- Paul Harnden long coat
- Paul Harnden waterproof ventile mac

2 spring outerwear
- Teatora nylon trench
- Paul Harnden breadmaker

Jackets (for the office. If I don't have pockets, I can't carry my mouse between meetings)
- Paul Harnden mid-weight
- Teatora nylon green
- Teatora polyester blue
- Teatora polyester black 5-button
- Teatora tropical wool
- Robert Geller Richard knit jacket

Shirts and polos and stuff
- 4 L/S (honor gathering, something, suzuki takayuki, some italian brand with a dog logo)
- 4 short sleeve (robert geller, Lemaire, post-imperial, norse projects)

T-shirts
- 3 Uniqlo U black
- 2 james perse black (the uni-qlo ones are better haha)
- 3 American apparel tri-blend oatmeal
- 3 Ibex merino wool (need to replace)

Sweaters
- SNS herning zip cardigan
- SNS herning Stark heavy button cardigan
- SNS herning crewneck
- SNS herning turtleneck

Suit
- Ring jacket navy suit plus 2x Uni-qlo non-iron dress shirts and a couple ties

Belts
- Two belts, one pebbled, one smooth

Shoes
- Moto slip-ons
- Guidi black horse derbies
- Guidi & Rosellini suede derbies
- Petrosolaum horse shoes

Boots
- Petrosolaum cordovan ankle boots
- MMoria ankle boots
- Guidi backzips
- Moto chromexcel chelsea (rainboots)

Sneakers
- Common Projects bball natural
- Nike sock darts

Pants
- Resolute 710 jeans
- Colina sashiko pants
- Junya patchwork wool pants
- Layer-0 hemp pants
- Some black pants
- Two pairs of dress pants just in case

Shorts
- Nike shorts x 2
- Some Rick sweatpants/shorts things

I love/hate the size of your list. I downsized mine fairly significantly last week, then took pics of my closet. This is the fall/winter rotation and doesn’t include outerwear, workout, or sport specific clothes, which all have their own resting places:

Business suits and pants
40CDBBA3-CC09-4A05-9B0F-79885C112ED0.jpeg

Sport coats, casual suits, shirts
56677AF9-76E5-4B51-985C-369160747220.jpeg

Chunky sweaters
B912D079-7C1B-4716-BA01-6E4CA6C567EB.jpeg

More folded clothes (sweatshirts, flannels, pants, tees)
FC619272-0AA0-4B2D-B057-C0330B965B17.jpeg

More folded clothes (tees and sweaters)
A6269254-6CDA-4367-ADAF-8B11EBCD5F85.jpeg

Shoes
DC5C7AB8-35D9-4E4A-8949-431CCE2A3F7F.jpeg

Boots and sneakers
AE020C58-06A8-4706-BED0-A2E499011970.jpeg

For Fok
E0D5F721-8444-4967-BCDC-82BB1E92B232.jpeg

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
That brings me joy. So many options! My stuff is currently scattered across a few closets and probably isn't suited to be photographed just yet.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That brings me joy. So many options! My stuff is currently scattered across a few closets and probably isn't suited to be photographed just yet.

You’ve handled, or at least been in the same room with, probably half of what’s pictured.
:cheers:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads