• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
With Regards to the Denim Levi Trucker jackets :-

I think these days, as well as the vintage years, they 'can' look scruffy. I always have a very Dark blue levi 'slim fit' trucker jacket as a staple part of my wardrobe.
But after 12 months or so, as they wash out they tend to look a bit 1980's bone-head skin.
So IMO they have to be replaced fairly sharpish, to avoid looking looking a bit 'too' casual.

I've never owned a suede or leather variety of Levi trucker, BUT would very much like too. Especially a black leather type.
They crop up on flea bay a lot, but an XL option isn't readily available. With the suede or brown or black leather, i'd imagine you could mix them up much better with different sta-prest/jeans/trousers. Far more versatile than Denim.

Any opinions on this Levi leather bomber? I had an identical one to this in 1991 (unbranded tho) I cherished it
wink.gif
Considering purchasing this..

Last edited:

buttons

Reaction score
Alright lads (and lasses), Happy New Year
Had a few suede and leather levis over the years, suedes with and without leather collars.
Still got most of them now.
Not bought one for at least 8 years though so didn't have to pay the crazy prices for them (except me leather one, which cost a fortune).
Never posted a pic on here before so apolagies if it doesn't work.
[ATTACHMENT=1614]DSC07556.JPG (142k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
The originals never had side pockets by the way. The suede's came in a few subtle variations of pocket cut and they both came with and without press-stud cuffs - not sure if this was from different Levi factories or just a cost saving (but I've got them from early and late 60s, with and without.
Wrangler did a nice one in the style of their 2 pocket jacket (like the cord one on the skinhead Moonstomp LP).
Got some of these in suede and leather as well - very nice.
Lee were a lot less common, although I've got a mock suede one. That one that Gramps put up was a one they did a few years ago (along with their re-issue selvedge jeans etc, on the back of the LVC success).
Levi also did a Leather/suede split one in the 60s, with the panels of the jacket in different finishes. Lovely. Bought on in London about 10 years ago, but sadly its getting a little snug these days.
There were tons of 'copies' in the 60s and early 70's by cheaper makes, usually with blank press-studs. Have come across tons of these (usually at reasonable prices) but never bothered once I had the 'real thing' if you know what I mean.

There was a sudden uptake of them on the modern say skinhead scene, so there's plenty around now.

Gramps has got a point on comfort as some of the suede ones were very heavy, so if not worn in (like a new pair of brogues) would feel like you had a wooden jacket on. Couple of mine are like that, but I've got others that are very soft.

Buttons

buttons

Reaction score
Buttons - I know it's a lot of buggering about but could you post a few photos of your Harry Fenton shirt please?

Hope this helps, Bunty.
Oddly enough, the shirt originally had 4 darts. 2 have been removed (not by me) to give a bit more room, but one inner and one outer. Very sloppy!
Will probably put these back in before I wear it next.

Harry Fenton "Snug Fit" as opposed to the "Hug Fit" name that Jaytex adopted.
Saftsbury Avenue W1.

Also note no hanging loop at the top of the narrow pleat (like Jaytex).
But the front placket stitching and cuff are totally diffferent so certainly not from the same pattern.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To Lasttye - Roy, looking back, do you get the impression that there were a load of people who would wear 'skinhead' gear you and I wouldn't have been seen dead in? I'm thinking for example neither of us had Jaytex or Brutus shirts, but I remember seeing blokes wearing them, and a lot of girls too because they were slim-fitting.

I'm not trying to make out that you and I were some sort of 'Ace Faces' or anything, but more that just because you and I and most of our mates didn't wear something doesn't mean that other blokes didn't. See what I mean?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To Lasttye - Roy, looking back, do you get the impression that there were a load of people who would wear 'skinhead' gear you and I wouldn't have been seen dead in? I'm thinking for example neither of us had Jaytex or Brutus shirts, but I remember seeing blokes wearing them, and a lot of girls too because they were slim-fitting.
I'm not trying to make out that you and I were some sort of 'Ace Faces' or anything, but more that just because you and I and most of our mates didn't wear something doesn't mean that other blokes didn't. See what I mean?

I found you had the smart skinheads who would not wear Brutus/Jaytex, and Loake, Had their Suits/Crombies and trousers made and bought most their clobber out of the Squire.Ivy shop. and as you observed MoM Paul many many skinhead boys and girls would mostly shop down the market getting rip off Crombies Sheepskins etc, these kids just wanted the cloths fast so as to fit in and was not bothered with the quality or even how they looked.

Have to admit i was part of the snobbery elite and their was many of us, all our wages went on cloths, You would go to places like the Royal where you knew everyone was smart and like minded, i had a couple of mates who would even wear American imported suits from Reeds in Regent St, they was more into Booker T and The Drifters, than Reggae and was very into the Ivy look even back then.

The skinhead scene affected the vast majority of Youth in the 60s so you are gonna get some people that are smarter than others, I knew many lads who spent most their money on booze, these lads would not dream of buying a American shirt from the Ivy shop.:D

Last edited:

Gramps

Reaction score
Nice points Buttons.

I have a feeling after reading through some of your previous posts, that theres another good friend on here ;)

Its like a challenge, sussing out user names and who they might be :)

My green suede Levi found a very good home anyway, I can assure you of that, just wish i was the shape I was at 17 again, :(

On the Harry Fenton subject, I had a couple about 10 years back, all were plain if i can recall, and all oxford weave. Think I had a pink one like in Buttons picture, along with a couple of cream, white and a nice Mustard sort of colour. Seem to recall a deep red one too, but this could have been an old Sears number. One think I will say about Harry Fenton Shirts, is that although they are usually tought of as a "mod" shirt, they have a lovely roll to the collar and a nice shape.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice points Buttons.

I have a feeling after reading through some of your previous posts, that theres another good friend on here ;)

Its like a challenge, sussing out user names and who they might be :)

My green suede Levi found a vey good home anyway, I can assure you of that, just wish i was the shape I was at 17 again, :(

On the Harry Fenton subject, I had a couple about 10 years back, alk were plain if i can recall, and all oxford weave. Think I had a pink one like in Buttons picture, along with a couple of cream, white and a nice Mustard sort of colour. Seem to recall a deep red one too, but this could have been an old Sears number.

Buttons - I know it's a lot of buggering about but could you post a few photos of your Harry Fenton shirt please?
Hope this helps, Bunty.
Oddly enough, the shirt originally had 4 darts. 2 have been removed (not by me) to give a bit more room, but one inner and one outer. Very sloppy!
Will probably put these back in before I wear it next.

Harry Fenton "Snug Fit" as opposed to the "Hug Fit" name that Jaytex adopted.
Saftsbury Avenue W1.

Also note no hanging loop at the top of the narrow pleat (like Jaytex).
But the front placket stitching and cuff are totally diffferent so certainly not from the same pattern.

Thanks so much for the information Buttons I have not seen a Harry Fenton since the 60s Brill.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found you had the smart skinheads who would not wear Brutus/Jaytex, and Loake, Had their Suits/Crombies and trousers made and bought most their clobber out of the Squire.Ivy shop. and as you observed MoM Paul many many skinhead boys and girls would mostly shop down the market getting rip off Crombies Sheepskins etc, these kids just wanted the cloths fast so as to fit in and was not bothered with the quality or even how they looked.
Have to admit i was part of the snobbery elite and their was many of us, all our wages went on cloths, You would go to places like the Royal where you knew everyone was smart and like minded, i had a couple of mates who would even wear American imported suits from Reeds in Regent St, they was more into Booker T and The Drifters, than Reggae and was very into the Ivy look even back then.
The skinhead scene affected the vast majority of Youth in the 60s so you are gonna get some people that are smarter than others, I knew many lads who spent most their money on booze, these lads would not dream of buying a American shirt from the Ivy shop.:D

I didn't have much money, so I had to buy cheap. But there were just some things I didn't compromise on. Obviously shirts. Secondly I tried to buy stuff cheap, not buy cheap stuff, if you see what I mean. But when it came to shoes out of the Squire shop we all simply had to pay top dollar.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't have much money, so I had to buy cheap. But there were just some things I didn't compromise on. Obviously shirts. Secondly I tried to buy stuff cheap, not buy cheap stuff, if you see what I mean. But when it came to shoes out of the Squire shop we all simply had to pay top dollar.

Back in the 60s we all had a job, all lived at home, none of us had a car, we was not interested in scooters, so all our money could go on cloths, you just had to have them, even the younger skinheads still at school got hold of the kit, without the right cloths you was nothing.

In the early 90s Teenagers was wearing top end designer cloths, a Ralph Lauren shirt in 92 was £70 I had two Boys they had to have the kit, I would buy them the cloths and leave myself out as i knew they had to have the right cloths.. then my Daughter got to the age, I remember buying her a pair of Evisu jeans for £ 160. She grew out of them in months.:D

Somehow you always manage to get the kit, its that important to a Teenager, :)

Last edited:

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if i understand your question...Ska/Rude boy ? Do you mean Blacks lads ?

I mean ska music. Sure, reggae comes out of ska and traditional jamaican music, but ska didn't really
explode in the UK until the 2-tone era. A lot of those 2-tone bands like The Specials and Bodysnatchers
didn't come out until the late 1970s, but I was wondering if traditional skinhead fashion got a second life in
that scene. I say second life because people in this thread had mentioned that traditional skinhead fashion
had changed by the mid 70's.

I've searched google for ska fashion and it doesn't seem like fashion was a huge aspect of the ska scene,
either traditional ska, 2-tone, third wave, etc.

Hope that makes more sense.

And as a sidenote, here's a documentary on DM's. Don't know about accuracy, but is interesting none the less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads