• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

stilts121

Reaction score
Roy, now that you mentioned the scooters, how prevalent were they? I know you just mentioned that you and your friends didn't have much interest, but how about other gangs/locations?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean ska music. Sure, reggae comes out of ska and traditional jamaican music, but ska didn't really
explode in the UK until the 2-tone era. A lot of those 2-tone bands like The Specials and Bodysnatchers
didn't come out until the late 1970s, but I was wondering if traditional skinhead fashion got a second life in
that scene. I say second life because people in this thread had mentioned that traditional skinhead fashion
had changed by the mid 70's.

I've searched google for ska fashion and it doesn't seem like fashion was a huge aspect of the ska scene,
either traditional ska, 2-tone, third wave, etc.

Hope that makes more sense.

And as a sidenote, here's a documentary on DM's. Don't know about accuracy, but is interesting none the less.

By 79 i was 25 married with a child, I would say that none of the Originals would have any interest in TwoTone, Ska or anything like that, I could never work out two tone bands like Bad Manners, i mean white blokes doing a sort of reggae.

To be honest i have not a clue about the Two Tone scene, but there is a few on here who do,:)

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roy, now that you mentioned the scooters, how prevalent were they? I know you just mentioned that you and your friends didn't have much interest, but how about other gangs/locations?

Original Skinheads had no interest in Scooters, but you did see the odd skinhead on one, this was only due to a older Brother who would have been a Mod leaving the scooter in the back garden and the younger brother now a Skinhead jumping on it, I have seen Skinheads fcuking around on a scooter only to leave it up against a tree, I mean their was no interest like the Mods had for them or later 79/80 Skinheads.
Iam talking about London bye the way, :)

Last edited:

Gramps

Reaction score
Original Skinheads had no interest in Scooters, but you did see the odd skinhead on one, this was only due to a older Brother who would have been a Mod leaving the scooter in the back garden and the younger brother now a Skinhead jumping on it, I have seen Skinheads fcuking around on a scooter only to leave it up against a tree, I mean their was no interest like the Mods had for them or later 79/80 Skinheads.
Iam talking about London bye the way,
smile.gif

Looking forward to seeing how this one pans out.......

This is ususally where the North South Divide is apparent, the same way in which Soul was a massive thing for the Skinheads outside of London, and Glam meant Jack ****.

I think it was a much bigger part of a Skinhead (Loosly termed) life outside the Capital.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the Mods they grew up when Britain for a short time was booming, Teenagers was earning good money, down my road nearly every Mod had a scooter.
Not sure why Skinheads never had their own transport, even the older skinheads never had a car, maybe their was less money around, Skinhead transport was often a nicked car anyway :D

The whole cult of the Skinheads was Violence, Cloths Football, even music did not play a great part, I mean i had Tighten up Vol 2 and maybe a dozen other records but that was it.
If you look at the Mods before the Skinheads and the Punks later they had influence on the World as a whole through Art , Music, Cinema , The Skinheads have had no such influence although Skinheads have since spread around the World.

Just got to add, I thought Skinheads died in 71, I did not know their was a revival 79/80s, and until three years ago did not know they was still around now.
I do not know how or why they have become a Worldwide cult , But i know their is a few on here that may be able to explain.:)

When i mentioned to my old mates over Christmas that their was still Skinheads around they looked at me as if i was mad, it did not even generate one question, :blush:

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Non-skinhead related post, but might interest some:
US black kids in their take of the ivy casual kit:

Scroll down on the site where the link directs to find more pictures from these kids.
http://www.theweejun.com/index.php/highwater-501s-derby-of-san-francisco-black-ivy-in-dc/

This is just to prove the West Indian Influence over Skinheads is a load of bollocks, I honestly thought as a young 60s skinhead that the style came from America,
I am off to bed now but this is so interesting thanks for putting this up Loempiaveter. Hope this will generate a lot more talk on here.:)

OHT

Reaction score

Non-skinhead related post, but might interest some:
US black kids in their take of the ivy casual kit:

Scroll down on the site where the link directs to find more pictures from these kids.
http://www.theweejun.com/index.php/highwater-501s-derby-of-san-francisco-black-ivy-in-dc/

This is just to prove the West Indian Influence over Skinheads is a load of bollocks, I honestly thought as a young 60s skinhead that the style came from America,
I am off to bed now but this is so interesting thanks for putting this up Loempiaveter. Hope this will generate a lot more talk on here.:)

I thought that the only influence that was taken from blacks/west Indians/Rudies was the razor parting, crombie coat and the high rise bottoms(in jeans/pants) & that they[Skinheads] just associated with music like Ska/Reggae since it was unheard of by the masses. Were brogues a Rudie thing too?

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

With the Mods they grew up when Britain for a short time was booming, Teenagers was earning good money, down my road nearly every Mod had a scooter.
Not sure why Skinheads never had their own transport, even the older skinheads never had a car, maybe their was less money around, Skinhead transport was often a nicked car anyway :D
The whole cult of the Skinheads was Violence, Cloths Football, even music did not play a great part, I mean i had Tighten up Vol 2 and maybe a dozen other records but that was it.
If you look at the Mods before the Skinheads and the Punks later they had influence on the World as a whole through Art , Music, Cinema , The Skinheads have had no such influence although Skinheads have since spread around the World.

I can relate to all of this. I lived on the outskirts of London in Essex but all the above was true in my area too. I always thought the lack of personal transport was down to the complete obsession with dressing - no time for cars or other trappings.

Skinheads may have 'spread around the world' but I don't think they are skinheads as we knew them. Really another tag should be found for these hangers-on - they can do so much damage to the original 'cause'. I suppose I should add present company excepted!

Last edited:
Reaction score
These sure are amazing photos, i've been looking at these since the Weejun blog posted them up and trying to figure out what I can flatout copy without looking like an idiot, haha :)

To MoM, Lasttye etc; were jeans taken to a tailor or clothing alterations store to be hemmed to cut above the ankles, or were there styles back then that came cut like this already? One of the strongest influences mod, skinhead & ivy fashion has had on me has been the length of the pants. Nothing messier than a pair of modern jeans coiled scruffily around the ankle
baldy[1].gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These sure are amazing photos, i've been looking at these since the Weejun blog posted them up and trying to figure out what I can flatout copy without looking like an idiot, haha :)

To MoM, Lasttye etc; were jeans taken to a tailor or clothing alterations store to be hemmed to cut above the ankles, or were there styles back then that came cut like this already? One of the strongest influences mod, skinhead & ivy fashion has had on me has been the length of the pants. Nothing messier than a pair of modern jeans coiled scruffily around the ankle
baldy%5B1%5D.gif

I used to do it myself. I couldn't afford to take stuff like that to a tailor and my mum wouldn't touch my skinhead clothes - hated the look. I used to do the best I could by catching (stitching at isolated places) the turn-ups from the inside and ironing them flat. It didn't work too badly. Also I didn't have them high above the ankles, just clear of the shoes.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to do it myself. I couldn't afford to take stuff like that to a tailor and my mum wouldn't touch my skinhead clothes - hated the look. I used to do the best I could by catching (stitching at isolated places) the turn-ups from the inside and ironing them flat. It didn't work too badly. Also I didn't have them high above the ankles, just clear of the shoes.

Me too i did all my own stitching and ironing, I got very good at it, when i joined the Army I already knew how to Iron, stitch and bull my boots,:) I also did all the stitching for my kids :)
My jeans would just be above me ankles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads