• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Pink Shirts are a funny thing.A lot of People would probably deny that they had one.In the mid 60s I had one with a long "Spear" Collar,and about `70/`71 I had one (BD)which I wore with my Blazer.
smile.gif

I have always worn pink BD shirts. I think it is an easy colour to wear for casual or smart. I do however remember coming across prejudice back in the day, mainly from friends with an Irish background. Some of the Irish were very conservative (some still are) and to them a Pink anything represented the sign of a bum bandit. Luckily I was macho enough to carry the look off. I remember walking into an 'Irish' pub (the Joker, Seven Kings) with 1/2 dozen mates, suited and booted and smelling of Aramis. The local navies whistled us in but it was all in good fun because they knew we were young and 'out on the pull'.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

His story doesn't ring true if he is 53 years old, as stated. If he was born in 1953 it is more believable. Its quite close to some of my own memories, except for the violence. We generally only fought with boys our own age (usually at football) and mirror images of ourselves. Any aggro was incidental, except at football matches. We were only interested in having a good time. Other people were invisible to us.
Apologies, Bob, I should have highlighted the piece was written in 2010, making him around 56-57, now. :embar:

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Apologies, Bob, I should have highlighted the piece was written in 2010, making him around 56-57, now.
shog[1].gif

I just assumed it was recently written. If he is 56/57 that would make it believable but even then he must have been ahead of the game in his own peer group. It would be a bit like me claiming to be a London Mod. I know the clothes details , where they went and what they did from my cousins, who were Mods, but it would be stretching the truth to claim I was there.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Story pretty much followed what one of my exGirlfriends told.She came from Walsall and most of the mob she knew came from Wolverhampton.Shame I am not in touch with her now,as she had Photos from `69/`70 onwards(including Club Memberships).Janet could write a Book about the Scene in the Midlands,many People I got to know verified most of what she told me.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just assumed it was recently written. If he is 56/57 that would make it believable but even then he must have been ahead of the game in his own peer group. It would be a bit like me claiming to be a London Mod. I know the clothes details , where they went and what they did from my cousins, who were Mods, but it would be stretching the truth to claim I was there.

It would make him 12/13 in `69.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I have just remembered what I was wearing to my eldest Sister`s wedding,in `63 I wore a variation that had had a "Diamond Shape Toe"half Chelsea with a small Cuban Heel.These came out after the "Winklepicker" Chelsea Boots..You could wear these with the slim legged Italian Style Suits(my Father had just bought me).Another name for them is "Half Ankle Chelsea Boot".
I know I have commented before about the multitude of styles that were covered during the early "Mod" era,and your comments confirm and highlight this Colin.
As I have said before it irks me when people "Throw together" different pieces from that timeline,Weller haircut,Pucci scarf,etc,etc. and get it "Wrong". I am sure I am in the minority though and have to accept that.As much as I love them,that is probably why my own Half Chelsea's see so little wear,as I only wear them with specific jeans or trousers that could never be pinpointed as particularly Mod,from that period,or worn in a Mod style.That's not who I am or want to be perceived as,so it's more difficult to fit them into my regular wear.
At no time before have I ever worn that style.The closest would have been my Jodphurs,but that in reality is a very different boot from the skinhead era
Though it brings a nostalgic smile to my face,most of "Mod" as I recognize it Pre ' 67,does nothing to attract me.It appears very dated today and can only be worn convinceingly by very,very few older blokes.
Birds are another story
smile.gif

Post '67 Mod IMO is another story......but that's just my own opinion and based upon how little i am aware of what came before that point.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny that, I have been looking for about 10 years for a pair of Jodhpurs boots to match the ones I bought from an equestrian shop in Elm Park in 67/68. Plenty of boots around but nothing to match the slightly rounded toe of my original boots. The search continues.
I saw some jodhpur boots on e bay....Sanders jodhpur boots...I just had a look the seller is britishbrogues,various sizes in black or brown ( new ),I don't know if that's the shape you are looking for.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
His story rings true to my experience.The two smartest lads I ever met came from there (a year and two older).His life contradicts mine re:the violence though,but I do not doubt him,as I witnessed first hand how nasty Leicester lads can be.
Regarding his age,it's not that unusual IMO.Here is a pice from Chris Browns book posted very early in this Forum

"Iain McKell, the well-known fashion photographer who learnt his trade back in the 70s and 80s through shooting skinheads and new romantics and who photographed Madonna for her first magazine cover recalls: 'I remember skinheads the first time round, in 1969, when it was really hardcore. I must have been 12, 13 and I was in a cafe in Bristol when this bloke walked in, hair cropped, wearing a Ben Sherman shirt, braces, Levi's and DM boots. Then another one, and another one. And I thought hang on a minute, there's something going on here, this is a scene, there's some kind of code. And in those days it was shocking to see something like that.' A public schoolboy with working-class parents from Weymouth, McKell was awestruck by the skinheads' defiance and aggression, it wasn't long before he wanted to be part of this 'scene' - 'This big firm of lairy skinheads would stand behind the goal at Bristol City's ground [no accounting for taste], so one day I joined them, just to experience this feeling, this roar - they'd bang their boots against the corrugated tin wall behind them, then they'd surge forward in this big wave.' 'Defiance and aggression' - it's easy to see how the movement roared through Britain in the summer of 1969, a bit like Concorde had done so in the April on its maiden flight - from Filton, Bristol for the record."

Lattsye has also commented that down at Chelsea "We was boys fighting men!"

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look pretty good to me. I recently found a Next catalogue from the late '80s in the loft, when George Davies was running the business. It was a shock to see how 'Ivy' some of their products were back then. I had forgotten If they offered the same products today I would be quite happy to shop there, which just goes to show how standards on the high street have dropped. It was before the time when production was outsourced to China. Nothing will change however as the share price is going through the roof with them selling the man made Made in China crap.
Sad but true,I remember about 1990 going into Next with the Gf and they had some very nice button downs,good quality,now I very rarely bother going in there...the biggest department store in Bristol was John Lewis,now the same building is a Primark ! we are in a minority in wanting something special quality wise,the majority only want something cheap and cheerful.IMO

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad but true,I remember about 1990 going into Next with the Gf and they had some very nice button downs,good quality,now I very rarely bother going in there...the biggest department store in Bristol was John Lewis,now the same building is a Primark ! we are in a minority in wanting something special quality wise,the majority only want something cheap and cheerful.IMO
My hairdresser, who is five years younger than me complained last week of all the little bitches in Chelmsford sleep-walking into a major crisis he sees coming (he's German BTW) wearing nothing but Primark **** (whole outfit costs £12 or so) but sporting a new iPhone....

Our Primark was once a C&A.

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
They look pretty good to me. I recently found a Next catalogue from the late '80s in the loft, when George Davies was running the business. It was a shock to see how 'Ivy' some of their products were back then. I had forgotten If they offered the same products today I would be quite happy to shop there, which just goes to show how standards on the high street have dropped. It was before the time when production was outsourced to China. Nothing will change however as the share price is going through the roof with them selling the man made Made in China crap.
George Davies is innocent !
smile.gif

Seriously though,for about five minutes at the time Next were a breath of fresh air on the High street.They were the Adolpho Dominguez of the day and were often the option unless Reiss were in town.

Gsvs5

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads