1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

I can't quite reconcile the musical leap Soulboys undertook by jumping ship to Punk. There a bus ride apart. One minute your jazz dancing to Roy Ayers- pubic Ayers brother- next thing your pogoing to some lot who can't play their instruments- maybe that's where the party was and you moved on, but it strikes me as being a bit fashion victimish. Saying that I went from being a Fonz lookalike to Soulboy in the space of a couple of weeks as a kid in 78. - picked up a classic piece of Soulboy clothing recently. Yellow and black zip up Gabici cardigan. I had a burgundy version in 82 which looked good pretty good combined with togtooth check Farahs, Mock Crocks, and a rope chain. Still a good look now minus the chain of course

2. Natty Pinstripe

Natty Pinstripe Senior member

skinny legs I don't want to either get into a dispute or a defense of my P.O.V, but I do stand by my comment. On the music front Roy Ayers is perhaps a bit of an extreme choice, but Brass Construction, Fatbank Band, Rose Royce, Isley Bros, James Brown come to mind as do tracks like "Tom The Peeper", "Hard Work", "Jaws" and "Shack Up" come to mind. There had also been a brief flirtation with a few swing records before punk. For want of a better phrase, the more adventurous dressers arrived at the same point as some of the early punk fans - short bright colored hair, mohair jumpers, drainpipes, small collar shirts, etc.I don't like the phrase fashion victim, for me it's too unkind, but I will agree that in East London, this was mostly looked on as a phase, as was youth culture in general. I also doubted that many of these dance centric kids went to many if any punk concerts. My point is that I think that the look for fans of two kinds of music, briefly intersected.

1 person likes this.
  3. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

NP, when you say "Like many a Mod a lot of these people would settle down fairly young" do you mean with the mortgage, partner and 2.5 kids or do you mean settle into a style? If the former a lot of the originals on this forum state you were 'past it' as a skinhead around 19-20 - i.e. you wouldn't be accepted into any group and in any case the societal pressure to 'settle down' would be very strong even if you wanted to 'keep going', perhaps in the punk era it might have been up to 30 (Joe Strummer comes to mind) and these days with so many retro events punters can pretend they are 16 forever - even if they don't look it! A big change methinks from the 60's when there was a clear generation gap (and you were meant to move orderly through it).

Everything is so packaged nowadays and safe - check out the crowd here...Rebellion 13 - Punk & Oi! - Resistance 77

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  4. Natty Pinstripe

Natty Pinstripe Senior member

SV, I did mean parenthood and marriage. Youth culture, club life, being with your mates - was for most seen as a temporary state of affairs - something "you would grow out of". With the exception of the much ridiculed Teddy Boys, there were no groups of people who stayed with one particular look.
    Nearly everyone ended up in flares, just as all those who made fun of straight trousers in 1975/76 ended back up in them. There were of course individuals and now think of it the first Dreads I can remember seeing wore straight "ankle swingers". I think the concept of going against fashion was very much "underground" and those that dressed differently saw themselves on the cutting edge of the next look, not standing against fashion.

5. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

That list brought back memories. Tom the peeper, great to dance to and James Brown of course. By the mid 70s my mob still unmarried were going to clubs out in Essex and that was the playlist. My clothes were back to Ivy by then. We were aware of punk but that was for a younger audience. Glad that punk washed away all that self indulgent prog rock stuff. I was surprised later to find out that many punk artists were in myage bracket.

6. Bob the Badger

In the late 60's the music for my group was Stax, Atlantic, Tamla in that order. In fact we looked down on Tamla as being a bit too commercial but we heard mainly Tamla in the dance halls. At the same time we listened to the English stuff on pirate radio, Radio Caroline in preference to Radio London. My record collection included Hits 1967 Stax, Hits Atlantic 1967, History of Otis Reading and This is Soul. I hardly bough any Tamla. I later bought Tighten Up Volume 2 when we got into the Reggae. I still have all my LPs ( didn't call them albums).

7. Bob the Badger

One boy in the photo looks familiar to me. Could it be Ilford Palais 1968/69? I don't recognise any of the other lads so I could be wrong. There was a boy who was always jumping on stage down at the Palais, he even did it at a live Desmond Decker concert. I met him recently as he married my cousin and he reminded me of the Desmond Decker performance (his dance on stage with DD).

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Yes and some of them were supposed to be young skinheads or suedeheads early 70s : Paul Weller, Paul Cook, Steve Jones, Adam Ant, JJ Burnel, among others, come to mind... Most were probably just following the fashion of the time. I know Burnel, as the son of French immigrants, had things to prove. He said once that he was tired that everybody picked on him, so a bit of paki-bashing was a 'nice' change. (When the rest of the Stranglers spotted JJ in 1973, he's described in the book Peaches as 'a karate obsessed London-born French man. He is working as a delivery driver in London and he is a skinhead at the time.')
    Steve Jones was involved in criminal activities before the Pistols, i think he spent one year in jail.

I found this picture on several websites, Bob, always described as 'Hard mods, 1968' . (We already had discussions on the debatable term 'Hard mod'.)

1 person likes this.
  9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Just so happens I'm going to one tonight!

10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Looking around for something else entirely, I came across the picture below. It was taken at an American High School in 1969. I have numbered a few of the participants.

1. Whatever his aftershave is, I would have wanted some. He seems to have four young women in attendance. He's in a short-sleeved check sports-shirt with a tag and a posse pleat. Can't see a button on the back of the collar. He also has half-mast jeans, or cords rather.

2 could well be a member of staff, but he's wearing a windcheater with a Harrington collar.

3. Obviously the school's scruffy git, judging by the baggy strides - complete contrast with No.1. But he is wearing a trucker jacket and what looks like an obsessively neat parting!

Click for a bigger version.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I'd say Number 3 is a Cowboy.You still see that Look today in the South West US.

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Went to The Angel today and saw loads of Teenagers walking around in Clothing, similar to those Teenagers in the Photo(50 years on).

In `78/`79,I was working in the Clubs.Some of the Soul Boys went towards Punk(the ones that had worn Mohair Jumpers and Plastic Sandals etc,).As mentioned before they were looking for something different.The vast majority went deeper into the Jazz side of Jazz/Funk and went to Clubs like the Lacy Lady,Room At The Top and others.I was going to see Froggy spin at the Spooky Lady in Hackney Marshes then.As with all Fashion Phases you always had spin-offs.I had my Hair cut very short(a French Cut,I think they called it) again and wearing Italian Style Clothing.

1 person likes this.
  13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The Tunes I was buying in 1970 was James Brown,the emerging Funk Records etc.Marvin Gaye,Four Tops were the only Motown(by now a lot of imported 45s were coming in on Motown,Soul and other Subsidiaries out of Detroit),I bought.I never bought Monkey Spanner or Double Barrel etc.,as I thought the best Reggae had come out before and it was losing it`s way.I did not buy Rock Albums as one or two of my Mates had them,so they would bring them around.

1 person likes this.
  14. skinny legs

T
    Talking of the French Crop in Soulboy circles, even though the wedge haircut is the hairstyle associated with the genre, many lads I knew opted for the Bermondsey bank robber short side parting look, partially because if you had wavy or curly hair, you looked a right ....with a wedge.

15. Bob the Badger

What a great photo. Looks like John Smedley did good business with this firm. Any information? I would guess Chelsea down near Brighton.

16. skinny legs

Sand underfoot. Pebbles only in Brighton. Which means Clacton or Margate, which was geographically inconvenient for Chelsea boys

17. Jukebox Dury

Jukebox Dury Senior member

anyone seen this load of tripe?

18. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I suppose if we had had t'internet in the 6ts , there might have been some Mod showing us how to get our shrink-to-fit 501's ready to wear. .

Do we need a guy on t'internet showing us how to shine a pair of boots ?

Personally , my father showed me how to shine footwear when I started school . He had been in the forces and knew how to get a good shine . I think I was lucky to have that . .

Most of the general public don't bother their arse to shine shoe nowadays , so you can really stand out with a well polished upper , I think. .

1 person likes this.
  19. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

You think that's bad? Can someone explain this one to me?

20. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

I guess it was a promo thing for this movie

When is a good skinhead movie going to be made?