• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the 1970 ones. A great example of the cross-over period beginning.....
Every one of those photos has something worth mentioning IMO,as you say the 1970 ones are starting to show the "change",what we called flyaway collars and an early tank top ?

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Gsvs5 recently reminded us of the need to keep moving on (the debate about J Simons v. al Bazar) and in that vein I was interested to read this blog on mod shoes (scroll down to second piece) by Warren Peace the 'Marmite of Mod'. A modernist attitude but not standard-issue Mod:

http://www.modshoes.co.uk/index.php/blog/

Never looked at that Blog before,but now I've read the C&J article and seen the basket weave Officer Boots and i am glad I did.
I wouldn't buy them today,but a few years ago.......? I agree with him on the SOLE collection.

It also prompted me to pull out my neglected Paul Smith Chelsea Boots (also by C&J I believe?) circa 1997 IIIRC?
Hidden elastic,almond toe and great heel detail IMO.

Gsvs5

Reaction score

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never looked at that Blog before,but now I've read the C&J article and seen the basket weave Officer Boots and i am glad I did.
I wouldn't buy them today,but a few years ago.......? I agree with him on the SOLE collection.

It also prompted me to pull out my neglected Paul Smith Chelsea Boots (also by C&J I believe?) circa 1997 IIIRC?
Hidden elastic,almond toe and great heel detail IMO.

Gsvs5 I love the PS boots. I have been looking for a low-ish pair of Chelsea boots for ages (like the ones I had in 1965) and without the pointy toe, which is all I seem to find now.

That heel detail with the little diamond shape is similar to a pair of lace-up ankle boots I have from Jeffery-West which are slightly younger than yours. Perhaps it was a popular detail back then?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a pair of "Bench Made" brogues from Next many years ago. Within 3 months I had to have them re-soled. When I took them to the cobbler, he played heck about the poor quality of them, saying they shouldn't have needed repairing in such a short space of time. I wrote a letter of complaint to Next but didn't even get a reply. Needless to say, I've never bought a pair of shoes from there since.

Had my Smooths re-soled and a 1/4 Metal Tips put on them as well-no problem.You must have been unlucky roytonboy.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never looked at that Blog before,but now I've read the C&J article and seen the basket weave Officer Boots and i am glad I did. I wouldn't buy them today,but a few years ago.......? I agree with him on the SOLE collection. It also prompted me to pull out my neglected Paul Smith Chelsea Boots (also by C&J I believe?) circa 1997 IIIRC? Hidden elastic,almond toe and great heel detail IMO.
Had a pair of Half Chelseas,similar to these,about `65ish.Very comfortable.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Can not recall hearing of that before Colin ,the difference of Half Chelsea's as opposed to Full.Though I suppose that the style's were so popular then,that there were many variations in shape,heel,height etc?Just guessing and thinking aloud as it was before my time?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can not recall hearing of that before Colin ,the difference of Half Chelsea's as opposed to Full.Though I suppose that the style's were so popular then,that there were many variations in shape,heel,height etc?Just guessing and thinking aloud as it was before my time?

There were others around at the time.The other Style would be,with the exposed gusset on the sides.What was common about these are they just covered the Ankle.You could get them in Suede as well.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just remembered what I was wearing to my eldest Sister`s wedding,in `63 I wore a variation that had had a "Diamond Shape Toe"half Chelsea with a small Cuban Heel.These came out after the "Winklepicker" Chelsea Boots..You could wear these with the slim legged Italian Style Suits(my Father had just bought me).Another name for them is "Half Ankle Chelsea Boot".

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of "Bench Made" brogues from Next many years ago. Within 3 months I had to have them re-soled. When I took them to the cobbler, he played heck about the poor quality of them, saying they shouldn't have needed repairing in such a short space of time. I wrote a letter of complaint to Next but didn't even get a reply. Needless to say, I've never bought a pair of shoes from there since.
roytonboy,I am not an expert on shoes, but I think that if your soles wore down quickly it could be due to the quality of leather used on the sole.
I am guessing that these shoes were cheaper than a known brand ie Cheaney ?,if so it could be the same as the Bexley shoes that have been discussed here previously,the shop recommends putting a thin rubber sole on the shoe as soon as possible to prevent wear.
I have the Bexley longwings a nice looking shoe IMO,very comfortable,but with a thin very soft leather sole and I am guessing that lack of a quality leather sole is how they keep their cost low.
I think that it is a case of buying a more expensive shoe and getting more wear from it,I read that a lot of real quality shoes use specially aged and conditioned leather for their soles,check out those Robinson longwings that Botolph put up pictures of,those soles are going to last a long time.
I have found a brogue that looks very similar to the shoes being worn by blokes in Bristol about 1970,Sanders Fakenham ,not a longwing,would something like that have been worn in your area around then ? also most brogues that I saw then were black,was that also the case in Manchester ?.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gsvs5 recently reminded us of the need to keep moving on (the debate about J Simons v. al Bazar) and in that vein I was interested to read this blog on mod shoes (scroll down to second piece) by Warren Peace the 'Marmite of Mod'. A modernist attitude but not standard-issue Mod:

http://www.modshoes.co.uk/index.php/blog/
I think that this is the same idea that has been talked about on here before,you said about a nod to the past regarding style ( sorry if I have misquoted you ).
Who wants to go on wearing exactly the same clobber forever ?,but using the the basic style and moving it on and updating it is surely the way ?.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
I have been looking for a low-ish pair of Chelsea boots for ages (like the ones I had in 1965) and without the pointy toe, which is all I seem to find now.
Funny that, I have been looking for about 10 years for a pair of Jodhpurs boots to match the ones I bought from an equestrian shop in Elm Park in 67/68. Plenty of boots around but nothing to match the slightly rounded toe of my original boots. The search continues.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Make of this what you will:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/L...re-Skinheads/story-12065834-detail/story.html

One Leicester guy's memories of his time as a skinhead.

His story doesn't ring true if he is 53 years old, as stated. If he was born in 1953 it is more believable. Its quite close to some of my own memories, except for the violence. We generally only fought with boys our own age (usually at football) and mirror images of ourselves. Any aggro was incidental, except at football matches. We were only interested in having a good time. Other people were invisible to us.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score

Black longwings by Next that I spotted on ebay. Leather soles and leather lined. Made in Ireland. I don't really know anything about the quality of Next, or Irish-made hoofs.

They look pretty good to me. I recently found a Next catalogue from the late '80s in the loft, when George Davies was running the business. It was a shock to see how 'Ivy' some of their products were back then. I had forgotten If they offered the same products today I would be quite happy to shop there, which just goes to show how standards on the high street have dropped. It was before the time when production was outsourced to China. Nothing will change however as the share price is going through the roof with them selling the man made Made in China crap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads