1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Just referring to Ace and Eights info regarding Scooters and Leather Coats in `68.I originally wrote about this Subject many,many Pages ago and was told I was wrong.Good to see my Memory Banks have not totally gone yet.I liked that Period.......:)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

As an original I didn't know anything about skinhead revivals but in 1979 I sold my 10 year old 3 piece mtm tonik mohair suit to my 16 year old chainboy working with me on a construction site. I felt like giving him a slap when the next day he turned up for work wearing the trousers.Turned out he only wanted the jacket. The rivalists. No respect for the clothes, eh? He got an original suit and I got a couple of days pay for a suit that didn't fit anymore.

3. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

I once leant a shirt to a mate so we could get into a nightclub. Didn't hear from him for months- turned up at his house about a year later. I could see this pair of feet sticking out under a car on his driveway- he pulled himself out on one of those boards on wheels- take a wild guess what shirt he was wearing? Thanks for that Neil

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Some had respect for clothes, i did Bob ! But i have some regrets..When i decided it was time to move on, in 1983, i gave most of my clobber to friends: my black/charcoal pinstripe sta-prest style trousers, the last pair of Dexters longwings i had, almost new, in black pebble grain, Robot shoes in grey suede with thin DM sole (OK this was not strictly the look), a sage green MA-1, a cheap black harrington (not so good), and a very nice navy harrington, in mint condition, who at the time was really better than the one you usually saw: i realize now it was a good Baracuta copy, i remember it was US made and called Ivy something..
    A few years later i had a compensation, one of my friends was moving on too and gave me a black Alpha MA-1 almost new i kept a very long time..

This remind me of a friend. I had lend him a nice vintage 'Golf' jacket in mint conditions. I saw him a few weeks later.Looked like if he had slept with the jacket since the day i leant him.. He told me: Eh, i've got to give you back your jacket. I replied: i give it to you mate..
    Thanks for that Jerôme.

5. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

We must all have a "friend" like this.

6. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

I concur , we have all been burnt by someone like that , once. .

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

How big is it? Want to get rid? I wouldn't care if I looked like an Eastern European gangster, bus driver, gynaecologist, or street-sweeper.

8. Man-of-Mystery

Met this guy last night and spent the best part of 45 minutes both raving about the Twisted Wheel. Turns out we were both there at the same Ben E King gig in 1968.

[​IMG]

[For the uninitiated, that's John Cooper Clarke, and we're on a mission from God.]

1 person likes this.
  9. Man-of-Mystery

Funny, because nobody pulled me up about the mod in a leather coat I saw getting on a scooter in Beckenham, the first day I arrived 'dahn sahf' in 1968.

10. Man-of-Mystery

Mrs Mystery used my last original 1969 Ben Sherman as a painting smock until about five years ago when it finally disintegrated.

1 person likes this.
  11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

He does not Post on here anymore,M-o-M,but he was one of those who had an older Mod Relative etc., etc., - came from Northampton Area.

12. Man-of-Mystery

That would explain it.

13. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Oh yes, I have heard that JCC is a big soul fan. MoM with the shades you remind me a bit of the guitar player Robert Quine who played with Richard Hell and Lou Reed:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Man-of-Mystery

Two coincidences: 1) Mike Garry, John's support act last night, mentioned Richard Hell and the Voidoids, and 2) I own a Telecaster.

15. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

A bloody conversation about bloody Ben E. King at the bloody Twisted Wheel in bloody Manchester?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  16. Man-of-Mystery

No - a fcuking conversation about fcuking Ben E King at the fcuking Twisted Wheel in fcuking Manchester! :D

17. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Evidently!

18. Man-of-Mystery

:D

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Great picture MoM. But mother nature is unfair (regarding hair) [​IMG]
    JCC played his own role in Ian Curtis's biopic, Control. A good movie BTW.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  20. Man-of-Mystery

Don't speak too soon - Johnny's mop hides a 2.5cm centre parting! :D