• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beckham signs for LA Galaxy!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Just when I thought we got off the football vs. soccer argument. They're two totally different sports people, so get over it. Talk about
deadhorse-a.gif

I think that in actuality, what we are discussing is the language barrier between people who theoretically speak the same language, but reside in different countries. I think that it has very little to do with the actual sports.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I think that in actuality, what we are discussing is the language barrier between people who theoretically speak the same language, but reside in different countries. I think that it has very little to do with the actual sports.

Oh. In that case, by all means, carry on.

I wonder if we'll start calling him "Beck Ham" now instead of "Beck um"

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Oh. In that case, by all means, carry on. I wonder if we'll start calling him "Beck Ham" now instead of "Beck um"
What horrifies me is that I predict a rash (literally) of women who try to emulate Victoria Beckham's look. IE excessive, unneccesary, and tasteless plastic surgury, sunglasses, clothing, tanning, and and hair.
Victoria_beckham_Marc_Jacobs_Spring_fashion_Manhatten.jpg
victoria_beckham_profile_small.jpg
posh_shorts1.jpg
victoriabeckhamshopping-thumb.jpg
I'm not saying that there aren't already women out there who try and look like this, but its not like they need POSITIVE reinforcement (you can get married to someone like David Beckham if you spend 2 million on bad plastic surgery!) I think their numbers will probably at least double, and maybe quadruple. Ugh. I dread the posh-effect.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What horrifies me is that I predict a rash (literally) of women who try to emulate Victoria Beckham's look. IE excessive, unneccesary, and tasteless plastic surgury, sunglasses, clothing, tanning, and and hair.

posh_shorts1.jpg

I'm not saying that there aren't already women out there who try and look like this, but its not like they need POSITIVE reinforcement (you can get married to someone like David Beckham if you spend 2 million on bad plastic surgery!) I think their numbers will probably at least double, and maybe quadruple. Ugh.

I dread the posh-effect.

She was already married to Beckham before any of the alleged surgery.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you man, but that is the most tenuous refutal I've ever heard.
smile.gif

Its pretty clear that "being on the offensive" is an act of offense. Which is a synonym of the word attack, though attack is a much more defined word which only encompasses the act of directly and physically attempting to score, whilst "offense" also encompasses the strategy and tactics used to score. and though it is your preferred word, is not the only word used to describe a universal component of competitive sports of any kind.

Obviously we've got some sort of linguistic breakdown across the pond that makes the word "offense" ... offensive to you. (in the Def:A violation or infraction of a moral or social code; a transgression or sin. way)

I've just been trying to understand WHY, but I don't think there is a reason. I think its just something you made up, or were taught, which is fine... but its probably just one of those things I'll never understand, and therefore see no reason to comply with.

Oh, and the origins of soccer paragraph was condensed by me from here, here, and stuff I've known about asian soccer like games, gleaned from various documentaries and museums before this conversation even happened.

I rarely use wiki for anything, and its sort of insulting to infer that someone gets their information from wikipedia. It's like saying they are too lazy to read books.

I get all my information from movies.
smile.gif

Thanks for the English lesson.You still seem to keep ignoring the points made about how ridiculous American "soccer" commentaries are because of the language used.That is a fact that even Americans admit to.I just used offense as an example and you ran with it,probably boring the **** out of every member who looked at the thread to read about a "soccer" player signing one of the biggest contracts,if not the biggest,in history.With the contract being in a country where "soccer" is a minority sport at pro level.

And yes you did help to turn the thread into a "US football is the most elite sport on the planet" thread as I think you did in all the World Cup threads.It must be some kind of inferiority complex as I never see "soccer" fans behaving like this in the NFL etc.. threads.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) posh was my favorite spice girl.
musicboohoo[1].gif

2) i hate it when a player sends a beautiful cross into the area and the american announcer says, "he dumps it into the box" like it's a hockey game. or when the action is taking place in midfield so the american announcer gets bored and starts talking about the political ramifications.
1159[1].gif

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
Or when the action is taking place in midfield so the american announcer gets bored and starts talking about the political ramifications.
1159[1].gif

There's no question that was one of the worst moments in American sports broadcasting history. That same clown did the international telecast of the world series. The pain!

My favorite is JP dellacamara who sometimes calls every corner an "inswinger" even when its not.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

posh_shorts1.jpg

I'm not saying that there aren't already women out there who try and look like this, but its not like they need POSITIVE reinforcement (you can get married to someone like David Beckham if you spend 2 million on bad plastic surgery!) I think their numbers will probably at least double, and maybe quadruple. Ugh.

I dread the posh-effect.

Posh indeed!
laugh.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
1) posh was my favorite spice girl.
musicboohoo[1].gif

2) i hate it when a player sends a beautiful cross into the area and the american announcer says, "he dumps it into the box" like it's a hockey game. or when the action is taking place in midfield so the american announcer gets bored and starts talking about the political ramifications.
1159[1].gif

1) Ginger Spice!

2) I cringe w/ embarassment just listening to U.S. announcers. The bar where I watch my weekly match refused to show the American-announced WC games (ABC, ESPN?) - everyone agreed they'd rather just watch in Spanish....

3) F#@$*'n Inter have pulled 9 points clear
censored.gif
I think they'll win CL....
frown.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(On David Beckham) "He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's alright."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Best

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont think Vicky (am I weird for calling her that?) looks that bad. I'd nail her.

Edit: Not a huge fan of the tanning though

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
It must be some kind of inferiority complex as I never see "soccer" fans behaving like this in the NFL etc.. threads.

Either that or they are weak and are afraid for their lives.
smile.gif

I'd rather face a room full of angry Mancs than a room full of angry Raiders fans... At least the soccer hooligans don't wear metal spikes. Plus, I can pretend to like soccer more than I actually do, but pretending to like the Raiders is sort of like pretending to like torture, unless you are clearly insane, nobody will believe you.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
1) Ginger Spice!

Yeah, out of the spice girls, she was definitely the "best", as far as "girl groups" go though, I was always more attracted to certain members of En Vogue, and Chili from TLC.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ginger spice was the sexiest one. scary was the prettiest one. for some reason posh was my favorite. i have a weakness for short skirts.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
3) F#@$*'n Inter have pulled 9 points clear
censored.gif
I think they'll win CL....
frown.gif

they have the team to do it, and the guys on the bench are just as good as the starters. the comeback against roma in the supercoppa showed they are a special side. but it takes more than talent to win the CL. they'll need some luck here and there.

(ibra's goal yesterday had 'scudetto' written all over it.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads