• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spare us!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Mercy!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Jim Ferguson wrote:

'68 - jeans either simply rolled up or cut off at required above-boot height - though they were worn instep length by some.
Rolled up army trousers ('greens') were a Phase 1 skinhead accoutrement and sometimes baggy old man's trousers (to match baggy old man's shirts).
At the start - '68, '69 any shirt that was not 'fashion' was worn - old men's collarless & collared baggy-bodied styles, t-shirts etc. Some early skinheads went awry & wore tie-dyed grandad vests.
'68/'69 boots with concealed steel toecaps were often purposely worn to expose the metal. Steel caps often polished or painted white (some bought white anyway).

This will do for now I think...
laugh.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
Jim Ferguson wrote:

...sometimes baggy old man's trousers (to match baggy old man's shirts).
At the start - '68, '69 any shirt that was not 'fashion' was worn - old men's collarless & collared baggy-bodied styles, t-shirts etc.

Again, not on my world. Seems the antithesis of sharp.

Some early skinheads went awry & wore tie-dyed grandad vests.

I saw one bloke, once, on Bromley High Street, in 1968.

... Steel caps often ... painted white (some bought white anyway).

To quote Ronald Reagan, "There he goes again..."

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Army%20Great%20Coat%20for%20hire.jpg

marginal note read "Original British Army Greatcoat. Ideal for re-enactment".

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Jim Ferguson wrote:

The skinhead's immediate predecessor was short haired & neat. He wore suits to dance halls. In 1968 suits were with flares and turn ups & often worn with a v-neck pullover & no shirt, light weight Italian slip-ons. On the street he wore Levis with turn ups, surfer jackets, Adidas trainers. he'd branched out of mod and his look and outlook had changed little for years.
...all-over short hair of 1/2" or less started in about '64 & was a conservative-suit-mod staple until '68 when it went even shorter. Lots of the slicker, more citified proles' sons had this extremely short hair by '68 after having had long hair. The latest thing. Others (conservative-mod-element) had short hair anyway and now had it just a tad shorter - the new mood suited them. And the younger kids who wanted to be ultra-mod exaggerated the look. Shave the head.
When skinhead was established, a lot of these mod conservatives (mod cons) looked down on skinheads who would today be classed as skinhead themselves - but distinctions were finer then. A lot of these same people would become suedeheads though - but it was more a case of two styles merging. But of course some of these same kind did become skinheads - frequently the most fastidious dressers.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from http://forthesuits.wordpress.com/

Regardless of what was written by Jim Ferguson in the fashion notebook featured in Nick Knight's "Skinhead", the Crombie was always a skinhead coat. I'm not bringing it up to be malicious, there is just too much information (and photographic evidence at that) for the claim to be believable.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding Crombie's I got mine made in 69, just after my suit, At this time you could not buy them off the peg, unless you bought a real one, which i never saw. later in 70 you could buy cheap ones down the market etc.
Also wearing Crombies with long hair , this is correct only because it was a warm coat and was still being worn in 71/72 at Football.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Regarding Crombie's I got mine made in 69, just after my suit, At this time you could not buy them off the peg, unless you bought a real one, which i never saw. later in 70 you could buy cheap ones down the market etc.
Also wearing Crombies with long hair , this is correct only because it was a warm coat and was still being worn in 71/72 at Football.

I bought mine off the peg in 1969. I was still wearing it to go to work in the 1970s because - yes - it was a warm coat.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Regardless of what was written by Jim Ferguson in the fashion notebook featured in Nick Knight's "Skinhead", the Crombie was always a skinhead coat. I'm not bringing it up to be malicious, there is just too much information (and photographic evidence at that) for the claim to be believable.

Very good to disprove certain myths on here I'd say...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
this is the first time the question really popped up to me, but WHO was Jim Ferguson? other than the guy that wrote the fashion part of Nick Knight's book. what was his "pedigree" to write as such an authority on the subject?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
this is the first time the question really popped up to me, but WHO was Jim Ferguson? other than the guy that wrote the fashion part of Nick Knight's book. what was his "pedigree" to write as such an authority on the subject?

Jason, that question has recently been circulating privately. So far without an answer. So you're not alone in wondering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads