• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Jim Ferguson said that Skinheads was Anti Fashion ???, I dont think we was conscious our dress was anti fashion, we would have been unaware that Harringtons, BD Shirts, Brogues, Crombie's had been around many years before skinheads.
The cloths may not have been fashion, but they was fashionable to us young Skinheads.
What also worth saying as the Skinhead scene moved on we started to wear the fashion of those awful 70s. So to say skinheads was anti fashion. dont ring true with me.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
What Jim Ferguson said that Skinheads was Anti Fashion ???

I don't think he meant anti-fashion really. Any coat sufficed in winter '68/'69 (follows long list containing donkey jackets, RAF great coats, lightweight nylon surfer jackets, fly-fronted macs etc) as long as it wasn't fashion, though Levi's tackle was always accepted,....

Actually it's pretty much in accordance with what browniecj mentioned about army coats I reckon...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The simple look, the suit i am wearing in this pic is the exact copy of my first suit in 69, Dark blue Dormeiul mohair, My mate Tom is wearing a very similar suit, Yes keep it simple.

IMG_0249.jpg

A good look. It is not a cartoon skinhead outfit. It is age-appropriate and many would not make a link to skinhead anyway. So it is subtle.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
I don't think he meant anti-fashion really. Any coat sufficed in winter '68/'69 (follows long list containing donkey jackets, RAF great coats, lightweight nylon surfer jackets, fly-fronted macs etc) as long as it wasn't fashion, though Levi's tackle was always accepted,....

Actually it's pretty much in accordance with what browniecj mentioned about army coats I reckon...

I never saw a skinhead in a surplus store great coat. A greatcoat is a classic long-haired hippy/student garment.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kingstonian
I never saw a skinhead in a surplus store great coat. A greatcoat is a classic long-haired hippy/student garment.

Will post full list tomorrow...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
+1 on Roy and Tom looking well smart and the important AGE APPROPRIATE!!

here's another pic, am sure I've seen it before and it's probably buried somewhere in this thread a long time ago, but it's supposedly from 1971

5687923850_2bca02b135_b.jpg

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also never saw a Skinhead in a Army Greatcoat, in fact i would say a skinhead would not be seen dead in one, Yes scruffy dirty Hippie, student types
laugh.gif

Jungle Greens was the only Army kit we wore, And around our way they was the American OG 107 Sateen fatigues.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good look. It is not a cartoon skinhead outfit. It is age-appropriate and many would not make a link to skinhead anyway. So it is subtle.
Thats the great thing about Skinhead cloths, timeless classics that can still be worn the right way by middle aged Men.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also never saw a Skinhead in a Army Greatcoat, in fact i would say a skinhead would not be seen dead in one.

Again we speak with one voice here, mate!

Alex Roest

Reaction score
According to Jim Ferguson:

Any coat sufficed in winter '68/'69: army jackets; donkey jackets; your dad's five sizes too big tweed work coat; army and RAF great coats; parkas (preferably not swallowtail, but this wasn't crucial); lightweight nylon 'surfer' jackets; anoraks; fly-fronted macs, Levi, leather, denim, corduroy or suede jackets (or Wrangler), you name it - as long as it wasn't fashion - though Levi's tackle was always accepted, whatever it was, until 1970 when they brought out flares or bell-bottoms - orange tagged & pre-shrunk. So their green suede jackets with leather collars were quite acceptable.

Furthermore he states that:

Short straight, fly-fronted macs appeared with frequency in '69/'70 in off-white, iridescent blues & greys etc. They were worn with (or without) trilbies. This was the Skinhead outercoat (along with sheepskins) & not the Crombie.

The 'Crombie' is usually considered the skinhead coat - but only in the broadest sense of the word 'skinhead' can this be accepted. Skinhead haircuts & Crombies missed each other by the better part of a year & 'crombie boys' as they became known, often had shoulder length hair. The first time I saw a skinhead haircut & a Crombie on the same person was in 1978 or 9.

Harringtons started with suedeheads - part of the check shirt, Sta-Prest, Royals outfit - and ended with every able-bodied man, woman & child by 1973!
Levi denim jackets popular in '69-'70, especially in Liverpool!
Black shiny nylon or plastic bomber jackets seen here and there in '69-'70 season.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to Jim Ferguson:

Any coat sufficed in winter '68/'69: army jackets; donkey jackets; your dad's five sizes too big tweed work coat; army and RAF great coats; parkas (preferably not swallowtail, but this wasn't crucial); lightweight nylon 'surfer' jackets; anoraks; fly-fronted macs, Levi, leather, denim, corduroy or suede jackets (or Wrangler), you name it - as long as it wasn't fashion - though Levi's tackle was always accepted, whatever it was, until 1970 when they brought out flares or bell-bottoms - orange tagged & pre-shrunk. So their green suede jackets with leather collars were quite acceptable.

Furthermore he states that:

Short straight, fly-fronted macs appeared with frequency in '69/'70 in off-white, iridescent blues & greys etc. They were worn with (or without) trilbies. This was the Skinhead outercoat (along with sheepskins) & not the Crombie.

The 'Crombie' is usually considered the skinhead coat - but only in the broadest sense of the word 'skinhead' can this be accepted. Skinhead haircuts & Crombies missed each other by the better part of a year & 'crombie boys' as they became known, often had shoulder length hair. The first time I saw a skinhead haircut & a Crombie on the same person was in 1978 or 9.

Harringtons started with suedeheads ...
Black shiny nylon or plastic bomber jackets seen here and there in '69-'70 season.

I only have one question: On what planet?

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
I only have one question: On what planet?

He was originally from Leicester I think
biggrin.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He was originally from Leicester I think
biggrin.gif

Leicester, fine... but what planet was he visiting when he wrote the above?

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Obviously I do realise a lot of what JF states contradicts what has been stated on here by various other originals so I thought it worthwhile to post up to get a discussion going. Some more quotes will follow soon...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads