• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Deco Range 2010

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Scafora may have the best value if you want the Norwegian welt or some of their other fancy welting. They make a very Italian looking shoe with very nice antiquing. One day I might go for their 3 eyelet wholecut that looks very much like the iconic Berluti version but I would do it with the Norwegian welt. My hesitation is that this kind of construction is renders a stiffer sole than a regular Goodyear welt, at least that's what Paulo told me. Also $2000 is a very good price for bespoke, that is if you like his style.

For 3000 euro I'd prefer to try Corthay, but I think he is quite a bit more expensive now.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
Based on pricing. I went there knowing what he normally charges and saw shoes that were not particularly great, then I get told they are about 3,000 Euros a pair. Which I know is just a massive mark up. Based on that they were very poor value for money. Even at half that price I was not impressed

I hate to belabour the point, but you've put forward the point that you're somewhat knowledgeable on shoes. So, what specifically did you not like about the shoes? Was it the quality of the uppers, the standard of hand stitching, the poor tanning etc. I've still not quite understood what warranted you to describe his shoes as "absolute ****."

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You're being far too polite here Eustace. We both know what happened:-

He went to the Hong Kong store hoping to buy Scafora's for $2G. But when he learned that Scafora was charging substantially more to his HK customers (probably at the behest of the store owner) he became upset. Throw in the fact that many of Scafora's display shoes are, eh, aggressively styled and antiqued, he gained an easy excuse to vent his anger by calling the shoes "****."

He can't give you specifics because he isn't a 'shoe guy' and is primarily just angry over the HK pricing.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
You're being far too polite here Eustace. We both know what happened:-

He went to the Hong Kong store hoping to buy Scafora's for $2G. But when he learned that Scafora was charging substantially more to his HK customers (probably at the behest of the store owner) he became upset. Throw in the fact that many of Scafora's display shoes are, eh, aggressively styled and antiqued, he gained an easy excuse to vent his anger by calling the shoes "****."

He can't give you specifics because he isn't a 'shoe guy' and is primarily just angry over the HK pricing.

I did not go there hoping to buy the shoes for $2G, I just went to take a look. I should not have used such harsh words as ****, lets just say they were not to my liking. Having seen all the following bespoke shoes in the flesh, GG, JLP, Cleverley and Fosters they just did not look in the same league, the leather quality, soles etc just looked very run of the mill machine made. I really think the choice of shoes on display did not show his true colours, many have said here they think the quality is great and they are guys with the other brands so there must be some truth to that, alas I did not see this. Then throw in the huge mark up and I left very unimpressed.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
as my name has been dragged into this topic :-( i will say a few words

Scaforia RTW price in HK were starting from HK $10k, which but them up above all other top brands that we currently have available in HK

when inquiring dirrect to PS and talking with others on SF, then compaired to the price giving in HK was a huge difference, then it starts the alarm bells ringing as it goes from being tempting offer to WTF!

as CDM has said it was very difficuld to seporate both RTW and BE and if they are made in the same way, just bespoke is with your own last then for me it is a poor ROI to start with a new maker esp at such a diparity in price in HK compaired to else where, as i am happy with what i have currently. i did not think the upper were any better or worse to my Vass and the same with the sole too. as for the antiquing that did not bother me nor is the aggressive styling as with bespoke i would hope i could have some say in the outcome of the design

however i did find them stiff and heavy (RTW) compaired to all other brands i have tried or owned perhaps this is due to the very think sole PS prefers

in conclusion it was a dissapointing night as i was hoping for something that little special both with the shoes and presentation of them but PS seened a nice guy and had a good sense of humor, it was just that we are just not right for each other

just sayin'

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
as my name has been dragged into this topic :-( i will say a few words

Scaforia RTW price in HK were starting from HK $10k, which but them up above all other top brands that we currently have available in HK

when inquiring dirrect to PS and talking with others on SF, then compaired to the price giving in HK was a huge difference, then it starts the alarm bells ringing as it goes from being tempting offer to WTF!

as CDM has said it was very difficuld to seporate both RTW and BE and if they are made in the same way, just bespoke is with your own last then for me it is a poor ROI to start with a new maker esp at such a diparity in price in HK compaired to else where, as i am happy with what i have currently. i did not think the upper were any better or worse to my Vass and the same with the sole too. as for the antiquing that did not bother me nor is the aggressive styling as with bespoke i would hope i could have some say in the outcome of the design

however i did find them stiff and heavy (RTW) compaired to all other brands i have tried or owned perhaps this is due to the very think sole PS prefers

in conclusion it was a dissapointing night as i was hoping for something that little special both with the shoes and presentation of them but PS seened a nice guy and had a good sense of humor, it was just that we are just not right for each other

just sayin'

I wondered where you had been, sorry I mentioned your name also.

Perhaps my choice of words was not right. too many brandies in front of the lap top but thank you for putting another angle on it.

Maverick972

Reaction score
From a recent chat with Tony, he confirms launch of the Deco range to be around "the turn of the new year." Also, from what I gathered (purely my own speculation), I believe the Deco range will be near $2K. Why? I think it's a given that we all know that EG TD and GC AC are better factory-made shoes, but Tony continues to stress the Deco range will feature "bespoke craftsmen." I didn't press for Tony to explain, but just hearing this from the enthusiastic Tony, I can't wait to see what they have in store.

I aspire to have a collection like Andrew's but can't. Should one wait to pull the trigger on one of these? Say, perhaps wait a year or two? (Like how some people refuse to buy first-generation Apple products) From pictures, I see that from an aesthetic point of view, the shoes have gotten better looking over the years. I think when they moved out of the AS factory, Dean and Tony were able to tighten the quality control. Again, I don't have enough shoes from each time period to compare and contrast.

All in all, these "bespoke craftmen" Tony talks about make me happy. BTW, I'm not associated to or with G&G in any way...just a shoe enthusiast like most of you.

Maverick972

Reaction score
On a side note -- I was "researching" on what makes Christian Louboutin so expensive. Some come close, if not more, than bespoke shoes. One answer I read was, "because they use expensive fabric...like leather." That made me chuckle. Google it if you don't believe me. Oh, and I didn't find a satisfactory answer other than paying for a name and status.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maverick972
On a side note -- I was "researching" on what makes Christian Louboutin so expensive. Some come close, if not more, than bespoke shoes. One answer I read was, "because they use expensive fabric...like leather." That made me chuckle. Google it if you don't believe me. Oh, and I didn't find a satisfactory answer other than paying for a name and status.

Other than name and status, you got a pair of RED sole from CL.

Maverick972

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball

Other than name and status, you got a pair of RED sole from CL.

Opps! Forgot about that! But for a buck or two, I'll paint the sole any color you want. Just let me know and I'll stop by Home Depot.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maverick972
Opps! Forgot about that! But for a buck or two, I'll paint the sole any color you want. Just let me know and I'll stop by Home Depot.

Ron Rider made me a pair of boots that I like better than my CL's.

Boot2.jpg

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No way the shoes will be $2000 (or 1300 pounds)....its priced too close to their bespoke range

I expect the Decco range to be priced a bit more competitively than Cleverley's A.C. range and E.G's TD range

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads