• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

bunty

Reaction score
More from 'Folk Devils...'

page 200

P1010308.jpg

page 201

folk003.jpg

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Perhaps the most interesting pic from Nick Knight's book:

Hard+Mod.JPG

Early skin with mods, April 1967

harrysgame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
I take it you're not a member yourself?

Paddy Grady is a personal friend of mine. He's on facebook if you want to check him out. Still lives in Northampton. My brother is on that site aswell. Plus my oldest brother used to DJ at the Shades Club in the late 60s early 70s.

harrysgame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Regarding Slade, No one was interested in them when we was Skinheads, We never heard of them until the Glam Rock thing appeared.
For some reason they are popular with present day skinheads.

Roy most present day Skinheads are revival Skinheads so are about my age. Im 46 and when i was first interested in Music Slade were the band at the time. Along with Sweet, T-Rex ect. So i assuming thats why many of today Skinheads can relate to them. Not because they dressed as Skinheads for ten minutes.

harrysgame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
It was funny Paddy Grady would talk about a top night spot,being in a village.There was one I attended with my Mates-in Bookham,Surrey(the Village Hall).It was unique in the fact that ,besides playing great Reggae,there was no trouble either(not the times i went ).There were two Mobs in attendance-us and the Epsom Boys.There was an unwritten Truce between the two lots of Skinheads.We would stand one side of the dancefloor and they the other.No word was spoken between us but we watched each other dance(clap if the dancing was good), and to a certain extent hold a Fashion Show.No chanting of Football Slogans or anything like that.The Girls were gorgeous as well.This would be about `69.

Around Northamptonshire in those days all the good reggae and soul pubs were in villages. You had The George in Wilby. The Paddock Hotel, Harpole. The Sywell Hotel, Sywell. The Nags Head, Wollaston and so on. All great places. Unfortunatly i missed the best times. My brothers were regulars at these places though.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bunty again good reference. That's a good analysis. I remember thinking at the time "The bloody press are just looking for this year's 'mods-and-rockers'."

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I right in assuming that the Bank Holiday thing did not die out in `65.It was just more heavily Policed for awhile-I went`67 and the Police presence had dropped again.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Yeah I remember "spy kids" - we used to laugh about that, some journo mis-hearing "spike-heads".

Makes you wonder about George Marshall's crew
puzzled.gif

spykids.jpg

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Oh you wouldn't bloody read about it!!!!
sarcasm.gif

Funny how stuff like that can take on a life of its own though. I can still remember when I first joined an internet forum I asked after the term and nobody knew the answer? (despite the fact that some people were pretty clued up otherwise...)

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
Funny how stuff like that can take on a life of its own though. I can still remember when I first joined an internet forum I asked after the term and nobody knew the answer? (despite the fact that some people were pretty clued up otherwise...)

I think you must start from the premise that media folk are always going to get something fundamental wrong.

I'm just thinking of the confusion between the words 'caff' (cafe) and 'gaff' (premises, house) in the 'Smithies' article.

It occurs to me that the Glasgow mob should call themselves 'Glesca Jag-Heids' if they want to render the term 'Spy Kids'/'Spike Heads' in its strictest translation.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you must start from the premise that media folk are always going to get something fundamental wrong.

I'm just thinking of the confusion between the words 'caff' (cafe) and 'gaff' (premises, house) in the 'Smithies' article.

It occurs to me that the Glasgow mob should call themselves 'Glesca Jag-Heids' if they want to render the term 'Spy Kids'/'Spike Heads' in its strictest translation.

I am not confused with words Caff and Gaff(Gaff is also used in Street Market Terminology)
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt