• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think Dayton gives a **** about StyleForum.

Oh please most of us here are NOT complaining about Dayton not giving a **** about SF, but not giving a **** about its customers.
Good for you paying the same price and getting the right boots on right time, but many of us were not blessed with such occasion.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Consider this. A small Vancouver based company that probably took an average of 3-4 boot orders a day, typically from guys that wear workwear because they work. They don't give a **** about fashion, they want a quality boot that'll last a long time. They work with a few bootmakers they trust, because they've worked with them for years, and know that they produce quality goods.

One day, out of the goodness of their hearts, they offer a discount to their customers. "Hell," they say, "it's Vancouver's 125th anniversary. Let's celebrate a little."

All of a sudden, they get hundreds of calls from fashion divas from some random forum they'd never even heard of. They call once. They call twice. They call again and again.

"Oh, I just wanted to call back and double check my sizing. Are you suuure?"
"I heard you have both leather and fabric laces. Can I have both?"
"Is this boot going to be the exact same boot as the W+H boot? Are you sure? Are you really sure?"
"I just wanted to call back and see if the nubuck is going to be the same as the original. Is it?"
"Are you sure EE width is fine? I know you said it would be fine, but I just wanted to check again."
"Are you sure I'm not sizing down too much? I think I'm sizing down too much. No? Okay."

One week passes.

"I know you said 4-6 weeks, I just wanted to check in."

etc. etc.

Now, with this mob of finicky ass bitches calling every day, asking when their manly manly boots will be ready, they have but no choice but to speed things up. They never expected this large of an influx of orders, so they don't have all the materials they need. They go to their suppliers. They don't have enough. They go to their bootmakers, tell them to work faster. The bootmakers can't.

The mob demands more. The mob must have more. Dayton puts pressure on the bootmakers and the suppliers. The suppliers start letting lower quality materials through. The bootmakers start taking shortcuts just to keep up with Dayton's demands. More are hired. It doesn't matter how unskilled they are, the boots must be finished.

And finally, they are. The boots are shipped out. It's time for a vacation. Who cares about these fashion-tards? They were never their target market anyways. Yes, they went through an ordeal. Yes, they may have alienated an entire forum. Who cares? It's finally back to business as usual. Lumberjacks who don't care if the sole is 1mm shorter than the original model. Oil riggers who don't care if an eyelet is 1mm off center. Life is good again.

In short, no. I don't think Dayton gives a **** about StyleForum. Dayton existed before StyleForum, and Dayton will continue to exist without StyleForum's support. Dayton hates StyleForum more than you hate Dayton, and they will be happy to never take another order for that damn service boot.

I've been trying to order some for quite some time, but I told them to get back to me whenever this ordeal with the "fashion-tards" :D was over

jaja

Reaction score
how can wing and horns QC the boots before they sell them?............are they doing the touch up work in their stock room? are they even shoemakers? no!
i know the owner of wings and horns and believe me if he did'nt like the boots he would have told dayton.........
i only type facts not here say

Local_Disk

Reaction score

how can wing and horns QC the boots before they sell them?............are they doing the touch up work in their stock room? are they even shoemakers? no!
i know the owner of wings and horns and believe me if he did'nt like the boots he would have told dayton.........
Sorry, but I don't need to know the owner of W+H to know that they wouldn't pass this as acceptable before moving on to their own distressing process:

binauralbeats

Reaction score

They QC them by sending the ones they don't want back to Dayton. The guy that has a pair with the W+H stamp said his pair was sent back to Dayton from W+H.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They QC them by sending the ones they don't want back to Dayton. The guy that has a pair with the W+H stamp said his pair was sent back to Dayton from W+H.

Yeah that was me.

As I've worn them yeah I see some of the imperfections that anal forum manginas would find unacceptable, but I honestly never noticed much of it until sF army pointed it out.

I love my boots comfortable, usable, versatile and local.

FYI, I had an eyelet off center and the sole stitching a little misaligned

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do agree some of the boots you guys received were under quality and they should of been more clear with delays, but honestly what did the internet expect?

Dayton was unaware of the wrath of the internets.
They certainly are now.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ how would you say about BAD leather, with scars and wrinkles all over them? Should I put up with them?

Just came back from talking with a local cobbler who has worked for over 40 years.

He told me about pearls, how each and every one of natural pearls have blemishes and imperfections and that is what makes them special.

Basically what he told me was man up and don't whine about craftman's little mistake so long as it is not that noticeable and does not have much to do with safety.

However, he did get pissed at he first sight that there were long horizont wrinkles on the boots, as they are
'Not the best choice for boots, if you want to keep them for decades' because they will be more pronounced as tim passes..

Ill probably follow what the cobble suggested- ***** until I get either yes or no,cos while the boots are above average, the makers certainly could have done a better job

Last edited:

binauralbeats

Reaction score

As I've worn them yeah I see some of the imperfections that anal forum manginas would find unacceptable, but I honestly never noticed much of it until sF army pointed it out.

I would've been completely happy had mine showed up with those kind of minor imperfections, at the price I paid. I can certainly see how W+H would not with their $700 pricepoint. I build things for a living and a few times when I've sold a "blem" item, the buyer has written me saying they can't find anything wrong with it. So maybe I'm a little over critical of things like this. In any case, your boots look great and obviously this is all a total nonissue while wearing them.

I do agree some of the boots you guys received were under quality and they should of been more clear with delays, but honestly what did the internet expect?

People keep on saying how we should've expected lower quality and rushed construction, but no we did not expect that and why would we? They should've simply moved out the ship estimates to 5-10 months or whatever and built them at the normal rate.

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
08c8d5b1.jpg

172e6d74.jpg

baa199de.jpg

987483b7.jpg

I have to clean them up a bit. They look much nicer minus all the dirt.

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too bad my nitrile sole will turn black rather than natural color like that. Great boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads