• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I sent emails to both "Stephen" and "orders" last week, canceling and asking for a refund. Have not heard from them yet, but I'm going to give it a couple more days.

you exhibit far more patience than i would have.

My patience is now gone. I checked the tracking number and now it's been rerouted to a "new address." I'm suspicious they didn't change my address on file like they were supposed to when I called them a couple months back after a move. Bet they sent it to my old address instead. :fu:

Hopefully USPS will will forward the package. If not, I will give up and proceed with some angry phone calls.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so i just got a call back from stephen the ceo and he was really great to deal with

he sincerely apologized and said he takes full responsibility about what happened. he said they failed to manage expectations and once the flood of orders came in, the few bootmakers they had were not on top of things resulting in wrong shipments, the frankenboot, and poor customer service

he says he is working to rectify and correct the situation. he took my order for two new boots, one in charcoal nubuck and one in oiled brown. he says they will start latest by early september and he will get them out of the door by the end of september. if there is a delay, he will notify me ahead of time but he says that is far enough in advance and not a huge amount of these orders that he should be able to personally make sure these are correct for me when they go out

all in all it was a great convo.

OHHH so i asked about the whole topy thing. the thing with the topy is they did nail them down with the w+h collab but unless you specifically asked for it they no longer nail them down. the issue is the topy does not last long and its easier to replace when glued. also if you dont replace your topy soon enough, the nail head protrudes and ruins your floor and etc, so they no longer do it. he gave me the option either way but it was great to hear the reasoning behind it.

Last edited:

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the topy is probably the only thing i would complain about, mine is separating from the mid point, whatever. not a big deal as it'll wear out in a few months probably...

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he says if they do it correctly, which he admits quality control def missed some issues, that the glue holds the topy well enough to last the abuse and will need to be replaced anyway. maybe go to a cobbler to have it reglued? or as you said, just wear it until its time to get redone anyway

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

he says if they do it correctly, which he admits quality control def missed some issues, that the glue holds the topy well enough to last the abuse and will need to be replaced anyway. maybe go to a cobbler to have it reglued? or as you said, just wear it until its time to get redone anyway

i just put some gorilla glue on it, it's fine for now.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

he took my order for two new boots, one in charcoal nubuck and one in oiled brown. he says they will start latest by early september and he will get them out of the door by the end of september. if there is a delay, he will notify me ahead of time but he says that is far enough in advance and not a huge amount of these orders that he should be able to personally make sure these are correct for me when they go out

So he botched an order and you... made two more orders?
I need to get into this business!

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well i sold the original pair. mine werent botched, i just got the wrong order. they sent me oiled black when i wanted charcoal nubuck.

the boots themselves are great and i can get them at half the cost of the wing+horns collab sans distressing so why not??? plus i have stephen the ceo's ear now :)

the second pair is for a kind fellow member. glad to help other forumites

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rubber heel you are referring to isn't a Topy. Only the thin rubber layer they add over the exposed portion of the leather sole. But we know what you meant.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@RKD Can you ask Steve why not only him but the whole company does not reply to anyone but you?

Naro

Reaction score

@RKD Can you ask Steve why not only him but the whole company does not reply to anyone but you?

I'm wondering this also. I sent him an e-mail probably a week ago (first time trying to contact them since I made the order) with no response. Does anybody know when they'll have someone in their office again?

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A shoe should probably be worn a few times before a topy is applied so the adhesive will stick properly. Since Dayton applies the topy before the sole is scuffed, it is not surprising that there would be problems.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol not sure. all i know is they are opening the new store front and that is wear stephen is currently

maybe they are trying to fix orders one at a time???

Crump's Brother

Reaction score

Can't find any info on him being connected to Bostonian-the-shoe-company.

LinkedIn shows he was at Reebok. VP of marketing :(

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/stephen-encarnacao/3/815/a97

i think when i called to place my order it was him that i spoke to

if i recall correctly he is from Harrisburg, PA which is close to where i live and he mentioned that they get leather from a place in Williamsport, PA which is where i'm originally from

then again, it could have been someone else

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jsyk, I sent Stephen an email last week and he got back to me within hours. He was courteous about the mistake over the branding on the ankle and offered to have the boot remade according the original order specs–makes me wish he were making the boots

Oh ya, the man was also appreciative enough for my business that he said they would credit my card for the difference so that I get in on this sale + ship the new pair out free of charge :thumbs-up:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member