• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Finding Dress Boots

Cordovanity

Reaction score
Intro
Hi guys - new to the forum. So, I have always loved shoes and have loafers from over the years from more brand name guys like Gucci, Zegna, etc. Also unfortunately made the mistake on spending too much on some Frye boots a few years ago but I digress.

Recently discovered the joy of the quality you can get buying footwear from companies such as Alden, EG, G&G, John Lobb, Carmina, etc. as I needed a new penny loafer and got the Alden x BB unlined LHS color 8 cordovan loafers.

Parameters
Next step on my wishlist is a pair of lace-up boots I can wear in this cold weather with bit thicker of a dress sock that I can also wear to work. I have boots for inclement weather so this would just be to mix it up in the cold months. Just to be clear, I don't wear a suit to work or anything. I just want a boot on the sleeker side with a sole that isn't too thick that is versatile and I can wear business casual with dress pants or more casually.

My price range is probably up to 500 or 600 max and I want to get a high quality finish and label so that probably puts MTO out of the question. I am not at all opposed to scouring websites for a good deal on a lightly used condition one in my size, but I guess that means that if you are recommending a boot above my price range (which is very welcome because I would love to purchase higher quality slightly used boot for cheaper) then it would be nice if it wasn't super rare or in high demand so I have a chance of finding some in my size on SF/Ebay/Grailed etc. Cheaper recs such as Meermin or an AE one if you think fits within my parameters better work too.

specific details: I am a size 9 in the unlined LHS van last so sizing recommendations on them would be great as well. also the possibility to try on the same last of the boot at a NY retailer, the maker itself or perhaps Leffot, is a must.

The Shoes
I love the cordovan shell on my loafers and wouldn't mind to re-up. Especially if it was Ravello, Cigar or Whiskey (which I know are rare) but I wouldn't mind color 8 again either. But shell isn't a necessity at all, and I would greatly appreciate suggestions across the board in calf, pebble grain, etc. and recommendations on if the style fits within the parameters I described would be appreciated as well (i.e. you think whiskey cordovan is way too casual).

I really like the split toe, especially ones that are kinda in between the sleekest, fainter execution and the Alden frankenstein style. I think my favorites I have seen are St. Crispin, Carmina and G&G. Split toe would be a big plus but not necessary.

Also don't really love the suede/leather two-tone combo. would prefer all leather.

Finally, here are some examples of boots I have seen that I think fit what I am looking for but I am hoping to learn more about what that is from examples from you all and any advice on "boot etiquette" regarding formality. I think all of these are out of my price range brand new but I'm just trying to give you an example of the styles I like.

https://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2018/09/boot-season-is-upon-us-john-lobb-apron-stunners.html
John Lobb Derby boots? I'm not even sure exactly what they're called. Maybe the Chambord II?
Love the derby style and it is sleeker and has a split toe.
20180910_1627282628336810602614639.jpg

no idea what kind they are and perhaps a bit on the less sleek side.
2-dec-08-040.jpg

St. Crispins PC but the two-toneness probably makes it too informal. so I would want a monochromatic one or if there is some differentiation much less stark.

this one is probably too casual but oof so nice.

finally, so that I don't keep posting pictures because I think you guys get the picture. also from what I can imagine these are all kinda grails and no way I will be able to track them down affordably...

John Lobb Edelines

G&G Thrope

EG Nevis

If you read all this and have some suggestions for me you are a saint. thanks a lot.

TLDR; please help a newbie find some sleek leather boots.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You already mentioned them, but Carmina might be a good place to start. They have a wide selection of boot styles, have a store in NY so you can try them on, and are reasonably priced for good quality footwear. I have a pair of their black calf chukka boots and am quite happy with them.

Going to try pasting a link to all of their mens boots.
Side rant: I can't stand when websites geolock their pages and don't allow you to select a different country... I'm in Japan so I keep getting redirected to their .JP site, but here goes the link. You may get redirected to a different domain and need to navigate back to their boots selection.

https://www.carminashoemaker.jp/mens-boots?page=1&perPage=999999

They have a pair of "Norwegian boots" that is similar to the John Lobbs you pictured above, but of course the price point is different.

Cordovanity

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

They have a pair of "Norwegian boots" that is similar to the John Lobbs you pictured above, but of course the price point is different.
Thanks! Awesome, I actually after posting this had the thought Carmina might be the best bet. Those Norwegian boots look great at that price point. Not sure if the color will be too limiting, will have to see in person. Great start.

Cordovanity

Reaction score
one more quick follow up

so if I don't mind minor blemishes, do you think the dalton cordovan seconds with a 15% email discount will be a good value for what I'm looking for? or perhaps do you think Meermin would be better quality for a cheaper price point?

https://www.allenedmonds.com/factor...r=0181S#srule=price-high-to-low&sz=18&start=1

I saw a video online of these and they looked pretty nice as cordovan tends to when they were broken in.

Or do you think that I am just overpaying getting Allen Edmonds cordovan at that price point and am better off spending the money on a better maker like Carmina?

Thanks

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the Dalton in shell, you should know the sale price on firsts of $525 runs through Dec 24. You likely already know the Shell is from Horween and the double leather soles are from J. Rendenbach.

You are not “over paying” at that price if the fit is good and the quality of finishing is to your satisfaction.

Cordovanity

Reaction score
Regarding the Dalton in shell, you should know the sale price on firsts of $525 runs through Dec 24. You likely already know the Shell is from Horween and the double leather soles are from J. Rendenbach.

You are not “over paying” at that price if the fit is good and the quality of finishing is to your satisfaction.
much appreciated. definitely would be a booboo getting seconds given the price difference.

useless_username

Reaction score
If you're looking for a dressy style, see Balmoral boots. There's a thread on this forum dedicated to the style.

WhereNext

Reaction score
Affiliate vendor J. Fitzpatrick makes boots that would fit your budget and what seems to be your style (no cordovan though, I don't think). At $500-$600, you could probably even go MTO and pick the details you want (leather, style, etc.).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads