• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are they done making 16oz cloth from lesser?
They might have changed their mind, but a few years ago they said they would let the book run down and not replace it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Despos @dieworkwear

Thank you Chris, Derek. Apparently the swatch serial #'s were changed as part of a recent restock. I was looking at the old bunch with the old serial #'s.

Chris have you worked with this cloth and what can you say about it?
Likewise Derek, I presume you've had your length made up into a coat? Any comments and also what other camel cloths did you consider?

Alan Bee

I don't have my coat yet. A friend of mine is using the same fabric for a polo coat and using the same tailor. We went back and forth on how a polo coat should look, so I'm hoping to see how his coat turns out before I settle on my coat's details. I'll prob get my coat at the end of this year.

Fantastic Mr Foxx

Reaction score
@Fantastic Mr Foxx
Thank you Mr Foxx, checked it out. At 640 grams it’s the beefiest I’ve seen thus far. Are you able to comment on the quality?

(...)

Alan Bee
I don’t yet have the cloth myself, but I have seen and felt a Ralph Lauren camel coat, which seemed to be be made from this cloth, and the quality is really good.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The darker shade is the one to have. Worked with it once and liked the cloth. This was quite a while ago so can't vouch for the cloth as it is being produced today. Think if you want authenticity, camel hair is best for a polo coat. Cashmere tends to have a sheen and has a tighter/smoother nap rather than the fuzziness of camel hair.
@Despos

Thank you Chris. When you say the darker shade, which do you refer to? Top or bottom?

I believe Derek @dieworkwear got the top one from Harrison’s.

Alan Bee

E95BA5FB-B05F-4ADD-B673-84B588B991FF.jpeg
2139BD2F-05DE-410A-B82A-AAE30DEA1196.jpeg

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with the bottom, I believe (#27). It's the same fabric used here:

Thank you Derek. Hence my question, which one is the darker (26 or 27)? Depending on how you define “dark”, either could be.

26 I am told (by Laura at Harrison’s) is the more traditional camel color while 27 tends more toward a tan. Edwins coat looks more 27 to my eyes due the tanish hue.

Alan Bee

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Anyone know a good source for "honest to god" Camel Cloth for a Classic Polo Coat? I've gone to my usual go-to merchants (Harrisons, Dugdale, Fox Bros) and came up empty.

Alan Bee

Paone made up the Minnis version of pure camel hair. It made up very well.

Alden at London Lounge tried to source some camel hair and threw up his hands.

So the rest of the merchants are selling fake camel hair?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you Derek. Hence my question, which one is the darker (26 or 27)? Depending on how you define “dark”, either could be.

26 I am told (by Laura at Harrison’s) is the more traditional camel color while 27 tends more toward a tan. Edwins coat looks more 27 to my eyes due the tanish hue.

Alan Bee

I don't know, to be honest. I would just go with what you like. No one in real life is going to know whether your coat is one shade off from traditional.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We had a discussion about this in another thread, but I think the more important parts of a polo coat are a dropped button stance, straight lapels, Martingale belt, turnback cuffs, and mailbox pockets. The dropped button stance is the thing that often gets missed, but I think it really changes the look.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still have two LL clothes for sale. Willing to throw in free worldwide shipping if someone takes both clothes.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Hi Dimitris, no I haven’t but only because I already have a relationship with the English Mills/Merchants mentioned.

Do you have any suggestions?

Alan Bee

Dear @Alan Bee,

I understand, however you may always expand your relationships on this winding Bespoke journey!

Therefore, should you want to branch out to Italian cloth, I would suggest you to contemplate the following:

a) Camelhair: Loro Piana, Piacenza.
b) Cashmere: Ermenegildo Zegna, Piacenza.
and because I believe that you can,
c) Cashmere-Vicuña: Piacenza.

It goes without saying that Italian weights are different from the British ones, but the aesthetic is different as well.

You may try my own merchants in Athens, Greece, the e-mail is: cashco(at)otenet.gr, you will not regret it; as I have mentioned in the past, the owner is very knowledgeable, helpful and honest, second-generation cloth merchant with a brick-and-mortar presence in downtown Athens, and representative for Greece of the above brands as well as Ariston Napoli, along with accessories personally selected from E. Marinella and F. Maglia.

Best,

Dimitris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads