• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

yanagi

Reaction score
Some give ranges like 280/310g...does it mean that the cloth could be anywhere in that range?
I'm glad someone else asked this, because I'm not 100% sure if that's the correct answer, and I thought I was a total idiot for not knowing.

Joefitz

Reaction score
I travel for work. Lots of train and Uber. What is the best year round wrinkle resistant fabric brand and weight?

classicalthunde

Reaction score
I travel for work. Lots of train and Uber. What is the best year round wrinkle resistant fabric brand and weight?
region and climate are gonna play the determining factor but generally speaking a 10-13oz twill or ‘fresco’ style will be the most hard wearing

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
While I'm here...

What companies offer covert twill cloths? I've become pretty keen on having a covert coat made, but the tailor whom I've asked about it has had a little trouble finding just the right cloth. I know that Abraham Moon, Fox and Vitale Barberis Canonico sell covert cloth, but I suspect that their not the end of it.

I'm glad someone else asked this, because I'm not 100% sure if that's the correct answer, and I thought I was a total idiot for not knowing.
Oh, thank mercy that I'm not alone!

I've been looking at covert cloths lately and was confused by how Fox cites theirs at 530/560 gram (18/19oz), which seems oddly imprecise and somewhat inaccurate, at 530 grams and 560 grams convert to 17.7 and 19.75 ounces, respectively.

I can second this insofar as my Fresco suit has proven resistant to wrinkles and feels fairly sturdy. This has been especially pronounced in comparison to the sport coat that I commissioned at the same time, which I love, but the wool/linen/silk/mohair cloth that it was made from has, as my local tailor noted while ironing is, "a tendency to wrinkle."

'Fresco' is, if I recollect accurately, a copyrighted term used by Hardy & Minnis, but other mills offer similar high-twist cloths. I was drawn to it because of its purported suitability to warmer weather, but I believe that it was first billed as the ideal cloth for travel and I believe that high twist cloths in fairly heavy weights can be found.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mohair Fresco if you want to avoid wrinkles. Blows standard fresco (also quite wrinkle resistant) out of the water
I second the mohair fresco recommendation...playing with the idea of having a dinner jacket made in one...I think the mohair will offset the weave

norMD

Reaction score
Probably some kind of high twist wool. Permanentstyle.com has a recent write up regarding different bunches. VBC 4 ply is supposed to be good.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After three years of wearing mohair fresco I have two comments to make...1) Don't get it wet or you'll end up looking like a soaked tissue...and 2) I would probably get your tailor to make the suit on the slightly roomier side as the cloth has no give at all... When I started growing slight muscle in my thighs and shoulders it began to get really uncomfortable and I needed it taken out. Saying that, stuff drapes like steel but has enough texture to make a great blazersuit/odd jacket and the wrinkle resistant is great. Bear in mind I had the old mix, I believe that released a new line right now...I have a bolt of the cloth but don't have anything made up yet

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.